Play audio from PS3 using home theater system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-23-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, new here, hopefully this is in the right spot.

Equipment
  • Emerson 40" LCD HDTV
  • Sony PS3
  • Sony DAV-tz140 Home theater system (5.1)

Goal
Plug the ps3 and the home theater system into the tv using HDMI cables, then be able to play sound through the home theater while playing video from the ps3.

What I've done
  • Plugged PS3 into HDMI 1 on TV
  • Plugged home theater into HDMI 2 on TV
  • Switched the Home Theater system to DVD/CD to access settings menu
  • In the home theater settings menu I changed 'HDMI Audio' from 'off' to 'all'
  • In the TV menu I changed TV Speakers from 'On' to 'Ext. Amp'
  • In the PS3 menu I changed the audio output to a HDMI cable

What Happens
When I switch the TV to HDMI 2 (the home theater) I get audio from the speaker system by performing a 'sound check' for all the speakers, therefore I assume if I had inserted a CD or DVD it would also work just fine.

When I switch the TV to HDMI 1 (PS3) I get video, but no audio. In the TV menu if I change the TV speakers to 'on' instead of 'ext. amp' then it works just fine playing through the TV's speakers.

Additionally the TV and Home Theater system appear to have sync'd up. When I change the volume on the TV it changes on the Home Theater accordingly and vice-versa. This happens when the TV is on HDMI 1 (PS3) and HDMI 2 (Home Theater System).

Lastly I went into the settings menu on the TV again and under the tab 'features' I found something called fun-link(HDMI CEC) which I believe is what helps the Home theater volume to sync up with the TV volume. So I checked the device list and it is as follows:
HDMI 1 .......... PS3
HDMI 2 .......... DVD System
HDMI 2 .......... DVD System

I greatly appreciate any help you can offer and thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-23-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

I should also note, just for the record, that when I'm on the ps3 I get audio from the TV if I switch the TV speakers option to 'On', but then get just silence when I switch it to 'Ext. Amp'.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-23-2012, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Unless you have ARC (audio return channel) via HDMI, which does not appear to be the case with your HTIB, looks like your only option would be to connect audio output of tv to audio in on your HTIB. It appears on your HTIB you only have a single audio input, 2 channel rca, does your tv have this type of audio out? Couldn't check your tv as you didn't post the specific model.

post #4 of 5 Old 11-24-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response! I really appreciate it.
The TV is an Emerson brand, however I'll post up some pics of the main ports (not included is the usb and third HDMI port which are on the side of the tv).
Perhaps I'll have to go with the RCA ports for Audio and have Dolby do it's magic.

I thought you might also get a kick out of this. I was pressing the "Audio In" button on the HTIB remote and the box kept displaying "Invalid". So I turn to the instructions to see when the "Audio In" button actually works and this is what I found:

That last picture made me wanna return it and get a different system lol.
Would be kind of a PITA though after running the speakers all over my living room.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-24-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamax42 View Post

Thanks for the quick response! I really appreciate it.
The TV is an Emerson brand, however I'll post up some pics of the main ports (not included is the usb and third HDMI port which are on the side of the tv).
Perhaps I'll have to go with the RCA ports for Audio and have Dolby do it's magic.

I thought you might also get a kick out of this. I was pressing the "Audio In" button on the HTIB remote and the box kept displaying "Invalid". So I turn to the instructions to see when the "Audio In" button actually works and this is what I found:

That last picture made me wanna return it and get a different system lol.
Would be kind of a PITA though after running the speakers all over my living room.

Some brands have lots of models even at a given size. The picture of the connection panel gives you your audio out options in any case, either the rca jacks or a digital audio connection but you can only use the rca....and then apparently not? Whassup with that? A feature they include on the same box up a level?

I can only recommend saving a bit and getting a better system in any case, you should spend at least as much on it as a PS3 and a handful of games if you want a decent experience IMHO. You get better performance, more functionality and flexibility further up the HTIB food chain let alone going with an AVR and speakers separately. I like this from a Sony page for your unit: "HD" output Sends a near-HD quality video signal to your HDMI®-enabled television.
It also measures the "wattage" output as an addition of all channels (hate that particular stat, it's so deliberately misleading)....and at 10% THD!

Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page