budget buyers remorse - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-28-2012, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, noob here. I, like a lot people around here it seems, got the itch for a home theater around black friday. I currently have no audio other than the tv speakers. Room is long and skinny, 23 by 12 with TV/DVR/PS3 on one end. I was going to get a HTIB until I came to these forums and learned just how bad they were. However I was still on a real tight budget. Under $350 now, maybe another 200 or 250 after christmas. Can't really justify more than that.

After lurking on here for a couple days I got the Pioneer BS41 pair from newegg for 85 and the matching center for 49. I got the Pioneer 822k reciever for 180 from hhgregg. Planning on using the after christmas money on a sub and then eventually surrounds.

I am sitting here waiting on em to get here and am already feeling nervous about it. Wondering if it is really much of an upgrade over HTIB. Also read some posts folks having issues with the 822k and just wondering if I am doing the right thing here.

I know my budget is a sliver of most on here but is this going to be it for me as far HT goes. Probly not many upgrades for me in the near future. Any thoughts? I appreciate any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-28-2012, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I say quit worrying, the things you have bought look fine, will be a massive improvement to your TV speakers and I am sure you will enjoy using them. I am still using a HTIB I bought a few years ago (does not even have HDMI, shows you its age) and still think it is a vast improvement over TV speakers.

Quit worrrying, enjoy your new items when they arrive!
post #3 of 5 Old 11-28-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 260
One problem with the Pioneer speakers you bought is that they have very low sensitivity....only 85 db per watt, which is a very poor match for your receiver.

This means they demand more power than speakers with higher sensitivity, and your receiver is not real powerful. This may be a problem.

Speakers with a higher sensitivity, around 90 db per watt or so, would be much better. If you have an option to return them, I would do so. You could probably get some more sensitive speakers from Boston or Polk at a reasonable price.

Just keep in mind that your maximum volume may be a bit limited before distortion sets in with those speakers and that receiver; it's not a good match.

Each 3db less sensitivity requires twice as much power from the amplifier/receiver just to get the same volume.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-28-2012, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
would you return the speakers or try to get a better reciever? What would be a "good match" for these speakers?
post #5 of 5 Old 11-28-2012, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 274
FWIW, HTiBs are not a bad investment and if you do your homework, they can be an excellent step into a HTS.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page