Connecting multiple devices via one HDMI input and one Optical - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-28-2012, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought the Panasonic SC-BTT190 HTIB since it was a good deal. I had assumed that even though it only had one HDMI input I could just hook it up to my TV and use my TV as the hub for all my other devices. Well I guess I didn't quite do my research and really I can only connect one device which makes absolutely no sense to me. I was hoping to connect my cable box and my Xbox 360 to it without any switches or splitters. I already know a Toslink splitter won't work because even when my cable box is off it still sends a signal through the cable. I don't really want to get a switch and have to turn a dial to switch connections. Is there any other method of connections I can try? If the only solution is getting a switch then I might just try to return it and get a regular receiver with speakers that actually has all the inputs I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-30-2012, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
bump
post #3 of 5 Old 11-30-2012, 01:39 PM

Liked: 11
the panasonic website says it only has one HDMI out and no HDMI in.

This receiver is mainly only designed to be a standalone bluray player; it lacks sufficient inputs and outputs. I would recommend returning it and finding a receievr with at least 2 HDMI inputs and one output if its not above your budget.

If you ise the TV as an HDMI hub of sorts and reroute the audio down to your receiver, you will only get 2 discrete audio channels because your xbox for example, being first hooked upto the TV will detect the TV's 2 channel speaker system and only output in stereo.

You could do an optical connection with the xbox for audio and component or HDMI to TV for video but that will leave your cable box in the dark for surround and vise versa...and if the receiver indeed does not have an HDMI input then that adds more lack of functionality.

Not sure if that was helpful or not...can you double check if there is for sure an HDMI input?

void adjustPrice{

if (hasAppleLogo == true){

price += 450;

}

}

post #4 of 5 Old 11-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 65
The Panasonic SC-BTT490 has the two HDMI inputs you need. Amazon has it for $375. The only HTiB I've been recommending is the Onkyo HT-S9400THX. Something like the Onkyo HT-S5500 is going to have four HDMI inputs and 7.1 surround modes. Runs $400 at Newegg. The Onkyo receivers don't have BD players included with them though.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #5 of 5 Old 11-30-2012, 05:02 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

The Panasonic SC-BTT490 has the two HDMI inputs you need. Amazon has it for $375. The only HTiB I've been recommending is the Onkyo HT-S9400THX. Something like the Onkyo HT-S5500 is going to have four HDMI inputs and 7.1 surround modes. Runs $400 at Newegg. The Onkyo receivers don't have BD players included with them though.

Agreed; I don't really recommend the HTIB's because of their lack of functionality as a receiver. Especially the ones with built in DVD/BluRay players - they are notorious for having a minimal amount of inputs and outputs. The Onkyo is an exception to this.

I have bought 3 HTIB's...the first two were because I was a noob and didn't know what I was doing, and the third was surprisingly well made - a $400 7.1 Samsung set with 4 HDMI ins, 1 out, some component sets and composites, optical, iPod dock...just didn't support lossless Dolby and DTS codecs.

Point being, if you are shopping for an HTIB OP, you gotta really be picky about what you choose and always check for a display model to see what it has for inputs and outputs. I wasted a fair bit of cash on my first two kits because I didn't know what to look for and let my mind get caught up in the excitement of buying a new surround sound.

Heres a couple kits that would suit your needs but don't have BluRay players built in (it will be very difficult to find an affordable HTIB with multiple inputs and outputs AND a BluRay):

Onkyo 7.1 4 HDMI in 1 out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120201
Onkyo 5.1, 4 HDMI in, 1 out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120200
Yamaha 5.1 4 HDMI in, 1 out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115378

void adjustPrice{

if (hasAppleLogo == true){

price += 450;

}

}

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page