newbie setup help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sorry for the ignorance ahead of time, i just dont know what my best option is....

this is what i will have connected:

1 Wii (HDMI cable, i have the adapter)
1 DishTV satellite box (connected with Analog red/white/yellow rca)
1 BR player (HDMI cable)
All of these will be connected to the TV

If I add a 5.1 system and use ONLY the digital optical cable from TV to 5.1 system, will ALL devices play audio through the 5.1?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-30-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Stereo audio will get through, but probably not 5.1 surround sound from the BD player or Wii.

Most TVs forward only 2 channel audio for externally connected devices. Multichannel audio usually is available only for stations decoded by the TV's internal tuner. In other words, you should consider getting an HTIB which allows you to connect both Wii and BD player to it (i.e. one with at least two HDMI inputs). Then the HTIB's HDMI output would be connected to the TV.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 6 Old 12-01-2012, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

so connecting the analog (red/white cables) would not give me 5.1? I found a 5.1 system that has digital optical input, analog input, and coaxial digital input.

which connection gives me true 5.1 surround sound? im getting a little confused. I guess i came across too many HTIB systems that only have analog input's but claim to be "surround sound"....??? so thats why im asking
post #4 of 6 Old 12-04-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

"Dolby Surround Sound" is a specific method of mixing together 4 channels of audio into two channels. The technique used is called "matrix encoding". Dolby's ProLogic II decoder is used by most home-entertainment systems to extract the center and surround audio channels. Sounds which are in-phase with one another in the two channels are sent to the center speaker. Sounds which are out-of-phase are sent simultaneously to both of the surround speakers. While matrix encoding can provide a reasonably good surround-sound environment, digital audio can provide much better separation between the audio channels.

"Surround sound" is used to indicate both matrixed audio and discrete audio. Inexpensive systems which use only a pair aof analog connections cannot provide multichannel discrete surround sound.

Optical and coax digital connections usually provide up to 6 completely separate audio channels: Left front, Center, Right front, Left surround, Right surround, and Low Frequency Effects (the .1 channel). Dolby's multichannel digital audio encoding is called "Dolby Digital". DD encoding is required on all DVD discs. A different encoding was developed by DTS (Digital Theater Sound) to compete against Dolby in providing multichannel digital audio. It's provided on many high-quality DVDs. (Whether or not DTS is better than DD is arguable.)

HDMI connections can provide up to 8 completely separate audio channels: Left front,, Center, Right front Left dside surround, Right side surround, Right rear surround, Left rear surround and Low Frequency Effects (the .1 channel). Dolby and DTS have both developed high-definition lossless digital audio encodings which are used on Blu-ray discs. The DD and DTS audio provided on DVDs is "lossy" and thus not quite as good.

Lots more details about Dolby and DTS audio are available on Wikipedia.

I hope this clarifies things a little.

Selden

post #5 of 6 Old 12-05-2012, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

thank you, that did help. I already purchased a 5.1 surround (RCA RT2770)

heres a link, i got it at Target for only $159 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882125250

I have it connected directly to my blu-ray using the digital coax. It is definitely true surround sound and it sounds awesome. I know its a "budget" system, but to get anything noticeably better I guess it would be $500+

Thanks again for all the help
post #6 of 6 Old 12-05-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

That looks like a very good starter system.
Enjoy!

Selden

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page