Onkyo HT-R 380 Is it possible to use HDMI and toslink at the same time? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-01-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hooked up PC to the receiver via hdmi and want to also use toslink since my sound card is better then the video card sound.
I have it connected to game witch is labeled game and also have the toslink in the game connection but only the sound from the hdmi is going thru.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-01-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Does the receiver have assignable inputs? Some can separately choose for video and audio source. My HTRC370 can....

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #3 of 12 Old 12-01-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

In the menu under digatal audio opt 1 and 2 is that it. OPT 2 is the toslink?
post #4 of 12 Old 12-01-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Whichever one you have plugged it to...they're both optical inputs (toslink is just a name for an optical cable, originally from Toshiba Link)

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #5 of 12 Old 12-01-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

I have HDMI and optical (toslink) plugged in at the same time. I am trying to get audio from the optical(toslink)
Using a PC with nvidea video card for hdmi and a ht omega clario halo for optical (toslink). Went to manage audio settings in the control panel and selected S/PDIF Pass-throu for my sound card and also tried just the speakers one but my receiver still says hdmi on it. But the nvidea sound one works fine.
Maybe it's not possible to do both at the same time?
Before i was using VGA strait to the TV and toslink to the receiver and it worked just fine.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-01-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

it works now. so happy
post #7 of 12 Old 12-01-2012, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

arg now when i play a game it stops working. I need to turn my receaver on and off to get it working again.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-03-2012, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well i got it working but after I select the hdmi I also have to select opt 2 TV/CD. If I do it with my remote lets me use both at the same time. It's kind of a pain but it works i guess.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-03-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Sometimes the hdmi thing works best by turning on the display first then working your way back through the chain to the source. A Harmony and other programmable universal remotes can be programmed with special instructions and/or delays to compensate as well....

post #10 of 12 Old 12-04-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
I hooked up PC to the receiver via hdmi and want to also use toslink since my sound card is better then the video card sound.

If you are sending digital signals why do you feel one soundcard is better than the other?

Afro GT
post #11 of 12 Old 12-06-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Because it's a HT Omega Clario Halo and it is better then the onboard video card sound.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-07-2012, 05:28 PM

Can you just skip the receiver for video and plug your PC directly into your TV / monitor?
Then your toslink would be audio only to your receiver and you could select which sound device was supplying your audio, hdmi or toslink.
Reply Home Theater In A Box