Best center speaker for Definitive Studiomonitor 350 bookshelf speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-05-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

I purchased two Definitive Studiomonitor 350s about two years ago, intending them to slowly build on them up to 5.1 surround sound. The guys at the store were very helpful and knowledgeable in walking me through the different options and showed that these were part of a set, and even pointed at the speakers I'd want to buy when I wanted the next pieces.

Two years later, the current employees are idiots, and my weak personal knowledge isn't enough to know how to match a center speaker to these two. I just want to match the sound as best I can, and I thought it'd only take a quick Google to find the center bar that is part of the same "set", but apparently not.

Any help would be much appreciated. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-05-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
How about another 350?

post #3 of 9 Old 12-05-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

The 350s are unfortunately (as far as I can tell) designed to be either left or right speakers - they have a built-in subwoofer on the side that faces the other 350.

I'm showing my ignorance here, but I was under the impression that a center speaker ought to look something like this, not like a bookshelf speaker? There isn't a 350 center speaker, as far as I know, just the bookshelf speakers under that name. As I said in my first post, I've been unsuccessful at finding something as simple as a "StudioMonitor" family of speakers, which would certainly be the simplest.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-05-2012, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Many prefer the same speaker across the front. Some centers are actually designed for horizontal positioning, but many just have the logo on the grill repositioned sideways, some have the terminals on the rear repositioned, some actually turn waveguides 90 degrees, others are actually designed as centers. Many folk don't have a lot of positioning options for the center, too. Some hide them behind acoustic transparent screens, others need to cope with furniture like cabinets to please the wife. I briefly looked after posting and they seem to be sold in pairs and may not be sold much at all now (oops, the latter just seems if you use DefTec in your search rolleyes.gif). Might try another DefTec in a similar series to keep them "voiced" similarly...or screw convention and put whatever center you want.. Or getting a new front three and using your current speakers as surrounds. Speakers aren't designed usually to be left or right speakers in any case, bass isn't particularly directional and many subs have downfiring, sidefiring, front firing, up firing speakers....

post #5 of 9 Old 12-05-2012, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, excellent - good to know. So as long as the center is still a Definitive of some variety, the voicing should be enough the same to keep it sounding right?
post #6 of 9 Old 12-05-2012, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltemand View Post

Ah, excellent - good to know. So as long as the center is still a Definitive of some variety, the voicing should be enough the same to keep it sounding right?

Not all Definitive speakers likely are all that similar, but I'd think there are certain series that are more similar than not. Ask Definitive, or there are likely dedicated Definitive threads or maybe someone will chime in. I've also used quite dissimilar centers with no particular issue (like my current bedroom setup with a combo of different brand speakers, it fits and works well). Kinda why I put "voiced" in quote marks...

post #7 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Look for a C/L/R 2002 or C/L/R 2500. They will have the matching drivers that the SM 350 has. The C/L/R 2500 adds an 8" active subwoofer.

Something else you can look at IF you have the room is getting a single Studio Monitor 45. It would be the closest thing to your SM 350's. The 10" bass radiator ( racetrack type ) is on TOP of the speaker instead of on the side. The dimensions of the SM 45 is pretty-much identical to the SM 350 and is considered a direct replacement for the discontinued SM 350.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #8 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

Look for a C/L/R 2002 or C/L/R 2500. They will have the matching drivers that the SM 350 has. The C/L/R 2500 adds an 8" active subwoofer.
Something else you can look at IF you have the room is getting a single Studio Monitor 45. It would be the closest thing to your SM 350's. The 10" bass radiator ( racetrack type ) is on TOP of the speaker instead of on the side. The dimensions of the SM 45 is pretty-much identical to the SM 350 and is considered a direct replacement for the discontinued SM 350.

This is *exactly* the information I was looking for. Many, many thanks to everyone who responded. It looks like the 2500 is no longer produced (and the most expensive), so unless I find a cheaper used one on good condition I'll probably spring for the 2002 over the 45.

Thanks again!
post #9 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 01:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltemand View Post

This is *exactly* the information I was looking for. Many, many thanks to everyone who responded. It looks like the 2500 is no longer produced (and the most expensive), so unless I find a cheaper used one on good condition I'll probably spring for the 2002 over the 45.
Thanks again!

The C/L/R 2002 is probably a slight overkill for those SM 350's but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Room correction should balance the front three out and you'd be golden IF you ever decided to get the SM65 for Front L/R and move the SM 350's to the back.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page