planning to get a home theater in a box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-23-2012, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi guys which brand and model can you recommend, i plan to get a home theater system for my room, i currently own a HT-x250 samsung home theater 5.1, i dont know if it is a good idea already to invest a new home theater system for my new blu-ray movies. because all of them are using dolby trueHD already and my current home theater is only capable of decoding dolby digital audio format.

here are my prospected models

Samsung HT-E6730W 7.1 Channel 1330-Watt 3D Blu-Ray Home Theater System
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HT-E6730W-Channel-1330-Watt-Blu-Ray/dp/B007581VWG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1356254189&sr=8-5&keywords=samsung+home+theater

i dont know if this model is good, i currently own a samsung home theater i am happy with the performance of my current home theater system what i only hate is my home theater is it has so many limitations, you cannot control your speakers and the user interface is not that good, there are some features that you cannot set through going into your home theater's settings menu. i juset hope this model has better user interface.

next prospect is the

Sony BDVN790W Blu-ray Home Theater System
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDVN790W-Blu-ray-Theater-System/dp/B006U1YV4E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1356254753&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+home+theater

well i have not tried using any sony home theaters yet. what is your opinion about this model?

a friend of mine told me try considering getting the samsung instead of sony because sony is not quite popular with home theaters. while samsung is not also popular with home theaters but samsung is a huge hit. the company keeps on growing. i dont know if i should consider this aspect.

can i ask your opinions and suggestions ? thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-23-2012, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Upgrading from an HTiB to another HTiB may be a bit dissapointing. I've done it from a panny to an onkyo and it was certainly an upgrade, however, I kept wanting more.

My advice would be not to upgrade until you can truly uprade by getting separates.

My Gear
post #3 of 10 Old 12-23-2012, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

oh, what is the major downfall of HTiB? and if i plan to get seperates which brand is good? and should i get the bundled ones? i see alot of onkyos on amazon. i think it is the most popular brand and not pioneer. and if you say panny is it pioneer?

thanks
post #4 of 10 Old 12-23-2012, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

post #5 of 10 Old 12-23-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiken122 View Post

can you guys recommend me a good sound system not the HTiB hehe. if its seperates
this maybe??
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5400-7-1-Channel-Theater-System/dp/B004O0TREC/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356266914&sr=1-2&keywords=onkyo+home+theater

That's an HTiB, I did have the lower model of that Onkyo and it sounded pretty good, much better than the old samsung htib. The main problem is no powered sub, You really need a powered subwoofer for a full sound.

My Gear
post #6 of 10 Old 12-23-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiken122 View Post

oh, what is the major downfall of HTiB? and if i plan to get seperates which brand is good? and should i get the bundled ones? i see alot of onkyos on amazon. i think it is the most popular brand and not pioneer. and if you say panny is it pioneer?
thanks

Panny is panasonic. I've bought several HTib's, I don't recall the model numbers. Finally settled on separates and couldn't be happier.

My main living room system is amazing but costly. more reasonable is the den with a denon avr591 and klipsch HD theater 500 which is nothing crazy but much better than any HTiB I've ever owned.

My Gear
post #7 of 10 Old 12-23-2012, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 View Post

That's an HTiB, I did have the lower model of that Onkyo and it sounded pretty good, much better than the old samsung htib. The main problem is no powered sub, You really need a powered subwoofer for a full sound.
did you see my post? i just bought from amazon a onkyo ht-s5500. 7.1 powered subwoofer. 3d passthru. 4hdmi. 4k pass thru. 1030 watt. This is selling at most places for 399 some at over 500. amazon has it now for $282 with free shipping. This price cant be beat.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-23-2012, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you are going to buy a htib, I would say get an onkyo. I have the hts7300 and it is amazing. Now if you have money to spend then go the separates route.

Bxbigpipi
post #9 of 10 Old 12-23-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 254
If you're willing to spend $300 - $700 (based on the links you supplied) then I'd go with separates. Keep it to 5.1 (unless you REALLY want 7.1) and you can find a nice Yamaha, Onkyo, or Denon receiver that meets your needs. Add a set of MLT-2s (if you want excellent bookshelf-sized speakers) and you've got a nice system. The speakers can be had for about $300. Onkyo makes nice HTiBs but they have had some real issues this year. I'd take a listen first if you can before you buy any system. Your ears are the ultimate deciding factor.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-25-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmonsh View Post

did you see my post? i just bought from amazon a onkyo ht-s5500. 7.1 powered subwoofer. 3d passthru. 4hdmi. 4k pass thru. 1030 watt. This is selling at most places for 399 some at over 500. amazon has it now for $282 with free shipping. This price cant be beat.

I am thinking about buying this set but am a little worried because of the bad reviews on amazon. Are you happy with it? Does your receiver also get as hot as some peope described? I do not have that much room in my tv stand...
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page