Buying on a "Low Budget", HTiB or Receiver+Speaker System or completely Separates? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-25-2012, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's my situation, I bought a new 3DTV and I'm mostly a gamer (PS3/360) with the occasional Blu-ray movie purchase. As of now I have an old HTiB that has worked fine and fits my needs, but I've run into a situation where I'm not sure I'm getting as good of quality surround sound as I was before.

My old HDTV had RCA audio out, which was hooked up to my home theater system to use for general surround sound for everything but my PS3. My PS3 had the optical audio put into the home theater system and the HDMI to the TV, so I had the proper surround sound for my PS3 at least. Now my 3DTV only has optical audio out, so it is plugged into my home theater system, which leaves my PS3 being hooked up just through HDMI to the TV. Right now my 360 is dead and I don't have a Cable box at all so those aren't an issue for now at least, but I'd like those to be available in the future when I consider my possible purchase (so at least 3 HDMI inputs, which most seem to have now).

My first question is, with the TV using the optical out to the home theater system, would my PS3 still be getting the dts and Dolby surround sound or am I currently just getting a "fake" surround sound for everything? I haven't particularly noticed the receiver say Dolby was active when I would start a Blu-ray or game that worked with it, but I can say I have before. I am going to assume I am no longer getting "real" surround sound for my PS3 with this setup.

With that said I am looking to purchase a newer system but I am trying to be as affordable (cheap) as possible. 7.1 would be a nice bonus but since it isn't really the standard yet it isn't a huge deal. This system would be in a bed room, and I wouldn't exactly need booming sound I just want to utilize the best available formats of the Blu-rays and games in most cases like Dolby True HD and dts HD.

My budget is varied between under $300 for a HTiB since it is just a "replacement" and would fit my actual needs for the price OR ~$400 for Receiver+Speaker System since it would be the "better" choice. If by chance I could get Receiver+Separates that were better than the would be Speaker System within that relative price range I'd welcome that as well.

So here is what I've been looking at:

HTiBs:
Sony HTSS380 3D Home Theater System = $250
-Isn't 7.1 but covers my needs and is affordable.
-Almost all of my Sony owned products have lasted me a long time without breaking.

Onkyo HT-S5500 7.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker/Receiver Package = $242
-IS 7.1 and covers my needs, still affordable.
-Has very bad reviews on things breaking or not functioning properly, which is a huge downside to me at least.

---

Receivers:
Sony STRDH520 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver (Black) = $200
-Is 7.1, and has more than enough of what I need.
-Is affordable by itself, but then requires more money for speakers which effectively almost doubles my spending.

Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver (Black) = $250
-Better version of the above for $50 more.
-Not sure if it is necessarily worth the extra cost but it is an option.

Onkyo TX-NR509 5.1 Channel Network A/V Receiver = $170
-Is only 5.1, but is the cheapest of the receivers I'm considering.
-Possibly has issues as well, but doesn't seem nearly as bad as the HTiB version.

---

Speaker Systems:
Polk Audio RM705 5.1 Home Theater System (Set of Six, Black) = $200
-Seems to be good quality.
-Relatively affordable, but combined with the Receiver I'm not sure if it is "worth" the extra $100+.
-Not 7.1, so I'd still need 2 additional speakers at some point if I eventually want to add to it.

Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System (Set of Six, Black) = $300
-Great reviews, so I imagine the quality is really good.
-$100 more expensive than the Polk system which goes back to whether or not it is worth the difference even more so.
-Not 7.1, so I'd still need 2 additional speakers at some point if I eventually want to add to it.

---

Separates (any of those Receivers + whatever speakers are within this budget)
???

I would consider this a "big" purchase for me considering the overall cost and my reasoning for possibly purchasing this stuff. Since 4k/Ultra HD isn't going to be the standard anytime soon and 7.1 isn't used all that much yet either, I could very well upgrade my system further several years from now, so I'm not too excited to spend a few hundred now just to upgrade later.

Should I go with any of the HTiBs above like I did before? Or should I at least upgrade to a decent Receiver+Speaker System? Any opinions or recommendations of my options are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-26-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 389
All of the speaker systems you listed are satellite speakers. Is that your preferred size of choice? The Onkyo systems use larger speakers so I guess you can go bigger.

If you can go larger then look at the Pioneer bookshelf speakers.

Get 2 pairs of the Pioneer BS21 for $49/pr
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117405

Matching C21 center is $59
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117404

since you're a gamer you'd want a decent subwoofer. Dayton 10" sub for $99
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-628

So far that's $260.

If you have a Fry's electronics nearby they have a few receivers on sale.

Harman Kardon AVR 1700 for $199
http://www.frys.com/ads/page1#AdNavi

Denon AVR 1513 for $159
http://www.frys.com/ads/page8#AdNavi

They also have some blowout pricing on systems on the same page. All sales end Wednesday.

If not, then look at the Yamaha RX-V371 or Onkyo NR509 for $169
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR509-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B004O0TRCO/ref=pd_cp_e_0
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V371BL-5-1-Channel-Receiver/dp/B004QQXDVC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356534830&sr=8-1&keywords=yamaha+receiver

That would be about $430 total for everything.

Afro GT
post #3 of 9 Old 12-26-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Alright so I sort of went a different route than what I listed simply because this deal for the "Jamo S 426 HCS 3" system came up and seemed really good for the price.

Now I read that these speakers are actually 6ohm, but it seems like most of the receivers are using 8ohm. Which receiver would be best suited for this speaker system? Or would just about any of the receivers still be ok with it?

The Onkyo TX-NR509 seems to have gone up in price since last night so now that seems to be off the table for me.

Unfortunately there are no Fry's around here so I can't use those deals.

The Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver is $250 on Amazon, is 7.1, and also allows for LPCM through HDMI.
The Sony STRDH520 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver is $200 on Amazon, is 7.1 but doesn't have that.
The Yamaha RX-V371BL 5.1-Channel A/V Receiver is $170 on Amazon, but only 5.1.
The Yamaha RX-V373 5.1-Channel AV Receiver is $250 on Amazon, still only 5.1, but has 4k pass through for a little more "future proof" but lacks 7.1 "future proof". It also has more features than the V371 at least.
The Denon AVR-1513 5.1 Channel 3D Receiver is $200 on Amazon, but only 5.1.
The Denon AVR-1612 5.1 Channel A/V Receiver is $280 on Amazon, but only 5.1. Does have Audyssey MultEQ, but not sure if it is truly worth the price difference of the others.

Would any other receiver be better and still under $300 that I should consider?

I still need to get a sub as well. That Dayton is $100 on Amazon as well which helps me out, but there's also a Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Monitor that is the same price. Would one be better than the other? Would any other sub in that same price range be better suited for me?

So basically what receiver would be the best choice with the Jamo S 426 HCS 3 speaker system under $300, hopefully $250 or less? And what sub would be the best choice for $100 or less? I know I am now asking in the wrong thread area but I didn't think I should make a new thread for each of those questions.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-27-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeth07 View Post

Alright so I sort of went a different route than what I listed simply because this deal for the "Jamo S 426 HCS 3" system came up and seemed really good for the price.
Now I read that these speakers are actually 6ohm, but it seems like most of the receivers are using 8ohm. Which receiver would be best suited for this speaker system? Or would just about any of the receivers still be ok with it?
The Onkyo TX-NR509 seems to have gone up in price since last night so now that seems to be off the table for me.
Unfortunately there are no Fry's around here so I can't use those deals.
The Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver is $250 on Amazon, is 7.1, and also allows for LPCM through HDMI.
The Sony STRDH520 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver is $200 on Amazon, is 7.1 but doesn't have that.
The Yamaha RX-V371BL 5.1-Channel A/V Receiver is $170 on Amazon, but only 5.1.
The Yamaha RX-V373 5.1-Channel AV Receiver is $250 on Amazon, still only 5.1, but has 4k pass through for a little more "future proof" but lacks 7.1 "future proof". It also has more features than the V371 at least.
The Denon AVR-1513 5.1 Channel 3D Receiver is $200 on Amazon, but only 5.1.
The Denon AVR-1612 5.1 Channel A/V Receiver is $280 on Amazon, but only 5.1. Does have Audyssey MultEQ, but not sure if it is truly worth the price difference of the others.
Would any other receiver be better and still under $300 that I should consider?
I still need to get a sub as well. That Dayton is $100 on Amazon as well which helps me out, but there's also a Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Monitor that is the same price. Would one be better than the other? Would any other sub in that same price range be better suited for me?
So basically what receiver would be the best choice with the Jamo S 426 HCS 3 speaker system under $300, hopefully $250 or less? And what sub would be the best choice for $100 or less? I know I am now asking in the wrong thread area but I didn't think I should make a new thread for each of those questions.

Also interested in some input re the above.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-27-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Any of those receivers listed can handle 6 ohm loads. That wont be a problem with the Jamo speakers.

The Dayton 10" sub is better than the Polk PSW10 which is a crappy sub in my opinion. Not sure why the Dayton is better for you because it is on Amazon. They're still getting from Parts Express and charging you $30 for shipping. Shipping is only $9.95 if you buy on the Parts Express website.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-628

My preference would be Denon 1612, then Yamaha RX-V373 in that order. Denon because it uses Audyssey MultEQ and eq's the subwoofer. Yamaha uses YPAO but doesn't eq the subwoofer. Yamaha doesn't have separate crossover points for front, back and surround speakers. Yamaha uses global crossover for all 5 speakers. If you have 5 speakers of same size this is not a problem but if you have tower fronts and small bookshelf surrounds you want a different crossover for fronts and surrounds.

I don't like Sony receivers as I think they're cheaply made. My opinion only.

As far as the Denon 1513 and Yamaha 371 receivers I would not buy a receiver w/o some type of room calibration and setup mic so those two are out.

I would also consider the refurb Denon 1613 for $249 w/ 1 year warranty. The 1613 is like the 1612 but adds networking, Airplay, Pandora and internet radio streaming.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1613/DENON-AVR-1613-5.1ch-Networking-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-ready/1.html

Afro GT
post #6 of 9 Old 12-27-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This Pioneer VSX-1022 is also on sale for $250 right now and has networking, Airplay, Pandora and internet radio. Plus it is 7.1, 6 HDMI inputs, analog to HDMI video conversion and has app to control with iPhone or Android.
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-1022-K-7-Channel-Receiver-Network/dp/B007O5ATC8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356643217&sr=1-1&keywords=pioneer+receiver

Afro GT
post #7 of 9 Old 12-27-2012, 03:22 PM

Does it have the mic for calibration & also calibrate sub?

Also, if the OP is like me - He has prime, so free 2 day shipping.

Edit: NVM doesn't seem to qualify for prime. I'll buy from Parts Express
post #8 of 9 Old 12-28-2012, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

The reasoning for Amazon is due to the fact that I have a $100 Visa Gift Card to use and I'm sure most places (even Amazon) don't let you use multiple payment options online. I can however use the $100 Visa Gift Card to instantly purchase a $100 Amazon Email Gift Card, which can then be used together with a normal payment option. I didn't however see that it wasn't available for Free Super Saver shipping. So I'll probably end up using the giftcard toward the receiver and just buy the sub separately anyway.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-29-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeth07 View Post

Here's my situation, I bought a new 3DTV and I'm mostly a gamer (PS3/360) with the occasional Blu-ray movie purchase. As of now I have an old HTiB that has worked fine and fits my needs, but I've run into a situation where I'm not sure I'm getting as good of quality surround sound as I was before.
My old HDTV had RCA audio out, which was hooked up to my home theater system to use for general surround sound for everything but my PS3. My PS3 had the optical audio put into the home theater system and the HDMI to the TV, so I had the proper surround sound for my PS3 at least. Now my 3DTV only has optical audio out, so it is plugged into my home theater system, which leaves my PS3 being hooked up just through HDMI to the TV. Right now my 360 is dead and I don't have a Cable box at all so those aren't an issue for now at least, but I'd like those to be available in the future when I consider my possible purchase (so at least 3 HDMI inputs, which most seem to have now).
My first question is, with the TV using the optical out to the home theater system, would my PS3 still be getting the dts and Dolby surround sound or am I currently just getting a "fake" surround sound for everything? I haven't particularly noticed the receiver say Dolby was active when I would start a Blu-ray or game that worked with it, but I can say I have before. I am going to assume I am no longer getting "real" surround sound for my PS3 with this setup.
With that said I am looking to purchase a newer system but I am trying to be as affordable (cheap) as possible. 7.1 would be a nice bonus but since it isn't really the standard yet it isn't a huge deal. This system would be in a bed room, and I wouldn't exactly need booming sound I just want to utilize the best available formats of the Blu-rays and games in most cases like Dolby True HD and dts HD.
My budget is varied between under $300 for a HTiB since it is just a "replacement" and would fit my actual needs for the price OR ~$400 for Receiver+Speaker System since it would be the "better" choice. If by chance I could get Receiver+Separates that were better than the would be Speaker System within that relative price range I'd welcome that as well.
So here is what I've been looking at:
HTiBs:
Sony HTSS380 3D Home Theater System = $250
-Isn't 7.1 but covers my needs and is affordable.
-Almost all of my Sony owned products have lasted me a long time without breaking.
Onkyo HT-S5500 7.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker/Receiver Package = $242
-IS 7.1 and covers my needs, still affordable.
-Has very bad reviews on things breaking or not functioning properly, which is a huge downside to me at least.
---
Receivers:
Sony STRDH520 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver (Black) = $200
-Is 7.1, and has more than enough of what I need.
-Is affordable by itself, but then requires more money for speakers which effectively almost doubles my spending.
Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver (Black) = $250
-Better version of the above for $50 more.
-Not sure if it is necessarily worth the extra cost but it is an option.
Onkyo TX-NR509 5.1 Channel Network A/V Receiver = $170
-Is only 5.1, but is the cheapest of the receivers I'm considering.
-Possibly has issues as well, but doesn't seem nearly as bad as the HTiB version.
---
Speaker Systems:
Polk Audio RM705 5.1 Home Theater System (Set of Six, Black) = $200
-Seems to be good quality.
-Relatively affordable, but combined with the Receiver I'm not sure if it is "worth" the extra $100+.
Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System (Set of Six, Black) = $300
-Great reviews, so I imagine the quality is really good.
-$100 more expensive than the Polk system which goes back to whether or not it is worth the difference even more so.
---
Separates (any of those Receivers + whatever speakers are within this budget)
???
I would consider this a "big" purchase for me considering the overall cost and my reasoning for possibly purchasing this stuff. Since 4k/Ultra HD isn't going to be the standard anytime soon and 7.1 isn't used all that much yet either, I could very well upgrade my system further several years from now, so I'm not too excited to spend a few hundred now just to upgrade later.
Should I go with any of the HTiBs above like I did before? Or should I at least upgrade to a decent Receiver+Speaker System? Any opinions or recommendations of my options are greatly appreciated.

I recently purchased a HTIB Yamaha YHT-497BL. Would fall right into your budget range and the reviews seems great. It comes with a receiver as it's hub so you can always exchange parts and upgrade later on. Only thing you would need to buy separate is the Blu-Ray player but then again your PS3 has that covered.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page