Onkyo HT-S5500 subwoofer, problems? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 12-29-2012, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am looking into getting the Onkyo HT-S5500 but I am seeing some people talk about the subwoofer "shutting down". I do understand that the sub does go into a standby mode when it receives no audio to save power. The poster here, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1447334/i-have-a-onkyo-ht-s5500#post_22750844 states that " so many people couldn't figure this out they had to put a dummy sheet in set up.", what does this mean? Also, does anyone here have this setup and are you having any problems with the subwoofer?
HolladayMTM likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-29-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Onkyo's make some good systems but have had some real issues at times this past year. I haven't a clue what that poster meant (I don't think he does either). If you get the S5400 or 5500 you might want to look into an extended warranty just in case.
post #3 of 21 Old 12-30-2012, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Hi wolf9545, I believe the poster was talking about a supplement sheet (to explain how the subwoofer operate) was added to the owner manual setup section. Now Onkyo does have issue with subwoofer voice coil going out in their HTIB (S5300, S5400, S6200, S6300, S7200, HT870). They don't list the S5500 as one of the affected model but its possible they may have issue with the earlier S5500 model.
post #4 of 21 Old 12-30-2012, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

So if I buy it now I probably won't have any problems? It's my first home theater setup (going from just the speakers on my LG tv) so anything, will sound great. I like the Onkyo brand and the options of the receiver; figured I could upgrade the speakers down the road (a few years) when I have more money if I wanted to.
post #5 of 21 Old 12-30-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

There are other brands such as Yamaha and Denon that may suit your needs and price point as well. The Onkyo will probably be ok and your plan on upgrading the speakers down the road is a good one (that's what I did). Just keep in mind that usually when someone comes to these forums, they have a complaint or issue, which in reality, is probably a smaller percentage of the folks who don't have any issues and are perfectly happy with their purchase. Just understand what the warranty covers and maybe look into getting an extended one (depending on what it covers) for peace of mind.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-03-2013, 11:52 AM

Liked: 10
so I am wondering...(as I am doing research on onkyo)
are most of these poor reviews about the sub blowing not a real issue and just user error??

I have seen many poor reviews on the 3400/3500/5500 about things not working after a few months
not so much with the 5400

I have seen refurbs for 3400 as low as $180 and 54/5500 at 270
I thought that was good for my budget and overall quality but maybe I am wrong - the bad reviews of recent 6-8 months kinda make me wonder
post #7 of 21 Old 01-03-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

I went to Sears and looked at the 5500 and talked to the sales person; yes I know they usually don't state that there are problems with units. What he said about the subwoofer is just like what the manual says, he also showed it in action. We had a news program going and the subwoofer was off, once we switched to a movie (DVR'ed version of Transformers) the subwoofer kicked right on. Now of course I don't know how long the unit was on display but after seeing that I believe that most of the problems are user error.

Just a guess though.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-03-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

That's odd about the way the sub works. I use my system all of the time. I have a Harmony remote so when I want to Watch TV for example, one button turns receiver and tv on. The sub is always on and functioning as long as the receiver is on so I don't understand why the Onkyo works that way (unless I've missed something). As long as the programming has the .1 channel my sub plays with no delay regardless of source.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-03-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf9545 View Post

I went to Sears and looked at the 5500 and talked to the sales person; yes I know they usually don't state that there are problems with units. What he said about the subwoofer is just like what the manual says, he also showed it in action. We had a news program going and the subwoofer was off, once we switched to a movie (DVR'ed version of Transformers) the subwoofer kicked right on. Now of course I don't know how long the unit was on display but after seeing that I believe that most of the problems are user error.
Just a guess though.
that makes me feel more comfortable in buying
thanks for the input
post #10 of 21 Old 01-04-2013, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have one. bought it right before xmas for 250 on amazon. its tells you right in the packaging that the sub will shut power down if not in use on signal. its a eco mode. they did have a recall for certain subs but nothing has ever been recalled on the 5500; love mine sound great cant wait till my sony 590 comes this week. Really the only place I seen bad reviews was on amazon. if you look at the people with complaints most have owned and complained about every onkyo out there. even when their is no proof they have 1. if you buy it from amazon it will say the reviewer owns it. in fact the 1 guy says he has owned the 5500 for almost 2 years. hasn't even been out a year. also owns the 9400 says its a 1 star too. I really love the system and not 1 second doubt about it. in fact the receiver for the 5500 hasn't even had a firmware update yet. works amazing and everything works like its suppose too. don't worry and enjoy
post #11 of 21 Old 01-04-2013, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, but Eco Mode sounds like a marketing thing for another electronic "gimmic" that can go wrong. My sub goes on when power is turned on and goes off when power is turned off. It doesn't need a signal to engage. I doubt very seriously if there is any real power savings (i.e. electrical bill).
post #12 of 21 Old 01-06-2013, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Sorry, but Eco Mode sounds like a marketing thing for another electronic "gimmic" that can go wrong. My sub goes on when power is turned on and goes off when power is turned off. It doesn't need a signal to engage. I doubt very seriously if there is any real power savings (i.e. electrical bill).
could be. but everything has its eco savings. my br can either be quick start or not. it is for energy savings. this is one way onkyo does it.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-12-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

This is no big deal, even my $1500 velodyne does the same thing. it's not a "gimmic"
post #14 of 21 Old 01-12-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

I received my Onkyo system a few days ago and so far I am happy with it. The subwoofer does turn on and off but only when needed. If I am watching a movie that is mostly dialog (King's Speech) the subwoofer is off; it will turn on when needed).
post #15 of 21 Old 03-08-2013, 11:59 AM

I've got a similar issue - subwoofer worksfine until there's an audible "click" from the receiver and then no bass. The light is still on on the Sub, but it seems like it's not working anymore. Has anyone run into this? All settings are pretty much default besides speaker distance.
post #16 of 21 Old 03-08-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

I have heard little clicks from my receiver but I have never had the sub cut out like that. When I first got the unit I did run the speaker setup from Audyssey so I don't know if that helped at all.
post #17 of 21 Old 03-08-2013, 01:36 PM

Just curious, how high do you have the volume knob on the woofer set to? I have it pretty high, and wonder if its not some kind of safety switch off. Can't find any documentation to support this feature though (not referring to eco mode).
post #18 of 21 Old 03-09-2013, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

I have mine set around the middle, but I also have "double bass" turned on in the settings of the speaker setup.
post #19 of 21 Old 05-09-2013, 03:43 PM

Hi there,

I purchased the Onkyo HT-S5500 this last April and it WORKS GREAT!
I actually found your post because my sub turned off and I didn't know why and sure enough it was the eco mode that it has. I just had to shut it off for a few minutes and turn the receiver back on.

I hadn't noticed that it shut itself down because I had the sub analog potentiometer in the back turned all the way down because this thing is so loud it's hard to watch movies without disturbing someone in my house because of it's bass.

It's wonderful for music, for such a small diameter cone it KNOCKS!

It's great with my dubstep music and does low bass PHENOMENALLY!!!

It's kinda tricky to set up since it has a configuration that you can do with the remote without a screen, but it also has video in/out so if you have an HDMI tv or monitor you can do the setup in graphical mode.

Like I said, it's a great system and it only takes moderate intelligence to set it up.

You won't be sorry buying this device and I'm sorry I didn't find this post until today, you've more than likely bought your system but to anyone in the market for a great home theater system I highly recommend the Onkyo HT-S5500

biggrin.gif:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
post #20 of 21 Old 11-10-2013, 07:48 AM

I wanted to post here since I've had the S5500 for going on a month now.  So far, I absolutely love it.  I've not experienced any issues yet.  Actually my wife and I was watching the movie 'The Last Days On Mars' last night and there was one scene where the the movie's surround sound  is just phenomenal.  My wife literally freaked out and thought someone was in the house from the sounds being produced in the right-center and right-rear channels. 

I posted a review of the receiver here on AVS also..  It's the HT-R591...

post #21 of 21 Old 01-20-2014, 10:19 AM

So its been almost a year having my Onkyo HT-S5500 and the only problem that I have to report is that if I have the bass of the subwoofer turned up to +7 or higher and the volume anywhere above 50 the sub will shut itself off after about 15-20 minutes of playtime and then I have to power everything off for about the same amount of time to get it to power back on. Has anyone else had this problem yet? I called Onkyo and they want me to call back after the holiday to figure this problem out or RMA it. They told me that it has a 2 year warranty so if need be I'll send it in.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page