New to Surround sound....Help me narrow the choices - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all !

I'm new to the forum and after lurikng around here for a few days I found it to be a very informative place. So I joined up to ask you guys
a few questions before I take the plunge and purchase a surround sound system. I'm currently having a family room built in the back of my home and the size will be 18 x 14 with a regular 8 foot ceiling. I was considering to buy a Home theater in a box as I am on a budget
of around 500 dollars. I would be able to spend more but the only reason I'm getting this room right now is because a tree fell on my house during Sandy so we figured since it's being worked on now would be a good time to have the extra work done. However I had to buy a new car and replace many other things besides so I can't go as crazy as I would like to.

I was considering to get a Yamaha in a box system as it fits right in that price range of just under $ 500. I went to Best Buy and tried it out and I thought it sounded pretty good compared to the others in that range but I was thinking that I would want to replace the speakers for slightly better ones in the future but why spend extra money later if I could find something that costs slightly more and will last me a good many years now.

So long story short I love listening to Music so this is an important aspect of a system to me.I also do PS3 and a regular dvd player with some sort of flat screen TV that will be purchased shortly in the future.I'm buying 100 feet of Monoprice 14 gauge in wall rated speaker cable that will be installed in the walls. Besides the cable and some sort of mounts to put the four speakers on the walls do I need any other accessories ?

I've read rave reviews about the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker set and would be willing to splurge for them and a separate entry level receiver if people thought they were better than what Yamaha gives you for speakers in the box.
So what I really need to know is should I just get the Yamaha in the box or would spending a little extra for the Energy Take Classics and a receiver be a better investment ? And besides the wire and the system what else do I need to have on hand for the installation ?

Thanks for your help !!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 265
If you want an entry level receiver I'd look at the Yamaha RX-V371 (I have one and am very satisfied with it) or it's newer equivalent for 5.1. If you can afford it, you might want to even consider going to a 7.1 receiver because you never know what you will do in the future. The Energy Takes are decent but you might want to look at something with a bit bigger drivers like the MLT-2s. The 14AWG wire should be fine depending on how long the runs will be and whether you're running your speakers at 8 ohms or 6 ohms. While at Monoprice I'd also pick up a sub-woofer cable (RCA) and some Certified High Speed HDMI cables (depending on how many HDMI connections you will have to your receiver). Just make sure the HDMI cable is certified for the length that you need and you're good to go. There's nothing wrong with getting a HTiB system like a Yamaha, Denon, or even Onkyo but if you can swing it in your budget, I'd go with separates. You didn't mention a blu-ray player (which I would recommend as a separate purchase and not "built-in" to the receiver). Panasonic makes really nice blu-ray players (with built-in WiFi) for around $150. The built-in WiFi is a nice feature because you can do your streaming etc and not be dependent on a "smart tv', which I don't recommend.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-03-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I'm leaning on the Energy Classic Take 5.1 speaker set for the price they are the best I can get all at once without much hassle. I just need to get a receiver for around 200 dollars to go with it. Anything more than that and the wife will be upset.

Any suggestions for a cheap reciever to go with that would be great. I would like to have hdmi ports for TV PS3 and DVD player. I don't need too many bells and whistles beyond that. I guess a port for I pod.

Monoprice seems to have all the little things covered however their speaker wall mounts don't seem to have the best reviews. Not sure how heavy the energy speakers are though.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-03-2013, 11:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Not sure how heavy the energy speakers are though.

You do know this info is readily available on the internet?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269004
Center Speaker: 4.13" x 10.25" x 4.13" / 3.2 lbs.

Satellite Speaker: 6.88" x 4.13" x 4.13" / 2.9 lbs.

Afro GT
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page