Onkyo HT-S9400 vs Polk RTi 4s (vs Jamo S426) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-14-2013, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear Mr. Sirs,

My first post here! I am planning to set up my first home theater system. I will be moving to an apartment where the living room will be about 10' x 15' and open to kitchen. I have 2 (+1) different options in mind and looking for an expert advice here! I am considering:

1. Onkyo HT-S9400 for $580 from here

2. Onkyo S616 AVR for $300 from here (I just threw in a receiver that seems equivalent to the one included with S9400 for simplicity)
2 pairs of Polk RTi4s for $320 from here
Polk CSi3 for $145 from here
Polk PSW 111 for $170 from here
Total $935

3. Onkyo S616 AVR for $300 from here
Jamo S426 for $180 from here
Polk PSW 111 for $170 from here
Total $650

with Option 3 being the distinct 3rd. Most of above is manufactuere refurbinshed ones, but I am not so worried as all come with 1 year warranty.

Even if I go with S9400, I will be probably using 5.1 for now since my couch will be against the wall. Even then, the speakers seem to be much better than 5.1 system from Onkyo (S7400) so I think I will just get S9400 and save the extra speakers for later.

How would Onkyo S9400 compare to the RTis from Polk? I guess (and hope) Polk sounds better since they cost about twice than Onkyo. But how much difference would there be? To my noobish eyes, S9400 seems to have better drivers:

Front: Onkyo 2 x 5" woofers, 1" tweeter Polk 1 x 5-1/4" woofer, 1" tweeter
Center: Onkyo 2 x 5" woofer, 1" tweeter Polk 2 x 5-1/4" woofer, 1" tweeter
Surround: Onkyo 1 x 5-1/8" woofer, 1" tweeter, Polk 1 x 5-1/4" woofer, 1" tweeter

My primary concern here is how much improvement in sound quality can I expect from Polk compared to Onkyo? Would it justify the cost difference assuming if I use both systems for 5.1 only? Does anyone have any hands-on experience with both? I know the best thing to do is to listen to them side by side, but unfortunately there is no place local here in Vancouver that would have both in store...

Lastly and leastly, would anyone ever consider Jamo over Onkyo? I thought $180 for Jamo would be a steal, but after adding a receiver and a sub, it actually costs more than Onkyo. The only advantage with Jamo is that it has floor standing speakers which might provide better mid-low range sound. But the drivers for center and surround for Jamo are not as good as Onkyo:

Front: Onkyo 2 x 5" woofers, 1" tweeter Jamo 2 x 5.5" woofers, 1" tweeter
Center: Onkyo 2 x 5" woofer, 1" tweeter Jamo 2 x 3.5" woofers, 3/4" tweeter
Surround: Onkyo 1 x 5-1/8" woofer, 1" tweeter, Jamo 3.5" woofer, 3/4" tweeter

I think Onkyo vs Jamo is not even a comparison (in favor for Onkyo) given the amazing price of $580 for refub Onkyo. Or am I crazy?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-16-2013, 11:38 AM

if you are looking for Polk Fry' has good deals for Rti8,Rti6,Rti4,csi3
http://www.frys.com/ads/page6

also they have 2 Rti8 combo with psw111 for $499

don't buy 5.1 combo on frys you can combine 2.1 & buy surround separate and you will save $100
post #3 of 3 Old 01-19-2013, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Actually I had a chance to go to Future Shop and listen to some of the speakers they have on demo. I really liked Klipsch RF series and I think I am going to get those. I liked the sound of those better than RTi towers!
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page