Cheapest HTIAB with inputs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-18-2013, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The stupid DVD/bluray player set ups with no inputs should be outlawed

Anyway the only ones that I have found are the $400 Logitech, pioneer and Yamaha set ups and I think Onkyo has one too, are there any cheaper than that?

Looking for something to recommend to friends and family instead of the systems with 0 inputs for game consoles VHS etc. and a real powered sub woofer is a big plus too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-19-2013, 02:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 380
You need to stay away from HTIB systems then and get a separate receiver and a 5.1 speakers.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENDHT1312XP/DENON-DHT-1312XP-Home-Theater-System-w/SYS1312-Speaker-Package/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENDHT1513BA/DENON-DHT-1513BA-Home-Theater-System-w/Boston-Acoustics-Speakers/1.html

These receivers have 4 HDMI inputs and 2-3 composite video inputs too for old gaming machine or VHS decks. Really your friends and family still use VHS? smile.gif

Afro GT
post #3 of 6 Old 01-19-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

You need to stay away from HTIB systems then and get a separate receiver and a 5.1 speakers.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENDHT1312XP/DENON-DHT-1312XP-Home-Theater-System-w/SYS1312-Speaker-Package/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENDHT1513BA/DENON-DHT-1513BA-Home-Theater-System-w/Boston-Acoustics-Speakers/1.html

These receivers have 4 HDMI inputs and 2-3 composite video inputs too for old gaming machine or VHS decks. Really your friends and family still use VHS? smile.gif
Yeah I know I got the Pioneer SP-FS 5.0 package for $230 and a HK AVR 354 from my mechanic for $100, works great for me but most people tell me there to big, and the receiver I got was just a fluke, I can't tell my friends to buy a 3 year old $700 receiver from there mechanics for $100. Right now the Pioneer 1022-K is only $250 but then you still need speakers.

My friends and family keep asking me for TV speakers and stuff but they only ever want to spend $200-$400 and I tell them they can get a receiver with just 2 speakers and upgrade to 5.1 later but they never want to do that and they end up getting some 2.1 computer speakers for $100 or a HTIAB for $200-$300 then ask me how there suppose to hook an Xbox, Wii or VHS in to it and they can't.

My grandparents had a real nice one, I mean it sounded great for what it was but one of the speaker outputs went bad and now the whole thing is worthless, the other 4 still work but still.

I know theres the Yamaha 373 (actually the one that comes with the package and the HK1700 or what ever that can be had for under $200 leaving room for speakers but I generally suggest the Pioneer SP-BS51-LR's or something and they say they are to big, SOOOO I'm like well they want cheap and small speakers might as well just get a HTIAB?

And yes many VHS children's tapes, like every Disney movie ever, and the Wii is analog.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-19-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

post #5 of 6 Old 01-19-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 380
That's not a powered subwoofer though. If you look on the back of the receiver you'll notice speaker terminals for the subwoofer instead of a RCA jack for a powered sub.

Afro GT
post #6 of 6 Old 01-19-2013, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

That's not a powered subwoofer though. If you look on the back of the receiver you'll notice speaker terminals for the subwoofer instead of a RCA jack for a powered sub.
Hmm that it is not, see the problem I have isn't with the sub as these subs can be very powerful but my problem is that the receiver can never be connected to a "real" sub there for rendering it useless garbage.

Looks like you have to go with the HT-S5500 to get a power sub, but then its 7.1 and for who I'm recommending it to I only want 5.1 for lower cost. It's only $350 which is still a good deal and under the $400 cap but most people using these only have Xbox's and DVD players not Bluray.

So it looks like the best choice is going to be the YHT-397, the lowest priced Yamaha and it has an active sub. The YHT-497 jumps up to the RX-V373 but only has a 6.5" sub? So id probably jump to the $500 YHT-597 with the RX-V473 receiver.

I realize that for $400 you could get a $200 receiver or the $250 Pioneer 1022 and the $100 Polk sub and a pair of Pioneer or Polk bookshelf speakers but that doesn't seem to be how my non-enlightened family and friends think.

So my findings are:
Onkyo HT-S3500 but passive sub
Onkyo HT-S5500 for 7.1
YHT-397
YHT-597

other wise for receivers:
HK 1700
Yamaha RX-V373
Onkyo TX-R414
and the Pioneer 1022-K for $250
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List