Found a great deal on a Yamaha YHT-497BL - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-24-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wife gave me a choice of getting a new coffee maker, or home theater system. She just made it clear the system would have to be what we need. So, I went the way of a home theater. Our coffee maker is fine, no need for a k-cup, or whatever...
So, I made my way here, started looking at multiple threads and reading everyone's opinions/experiences. I checked Amazon, NewEgg, Frys, Tiger Directs,... the list goes on and on. Almost exhausting, but I enjoyed it.
I made a list of receivers, speakers systems, and also HTiB units. I had my list of must-haves, and wants. So, with my list, along with general prices, and my Droid, I went out with my daughter today and found an open boxed Yamaha YHT-497BL for $290. Nothing missing, no damage. A customer must have had the box opened to check it out, then didn't want it. Lucky me.
I'll come back and update with my setup experience, and general thoughts later on. From what others have said, I think the only thing I need for it right now is either 14 or 16 gauge speaker wire.
Now, I'm anxiously awaiting my wife to come home from work. I'm going to make sure I have a coffee waiting for her... wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 04:16 PM

Dude that's awesome. I'm in the market for 497 or 397. let us know how it goes...
Old 01-24-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I used 16AWG, 2-wire ribbed for my Yamaha system speaker wire. The speaker wire run is under 35' to my side speakers so running them at 8 ohms, 16AWG is fine.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

OK, so I haven't taken a whole lot of time to play with the new system, but I did use the YPAO, and it was quick and easy. Even my wife says she can hear the difference compared to our previous system, and it's nice that it doesn't have to be as loud to sound better. We have a very open layout downstairs, so I'm going to research some more on speaker layout and setup, but TV/movies sound good so far. I haven't listened to music on it.

There is one issue, though. When turning all of my components on to watch TV, there is static on the TV for about 30 seconds, then perfectly clear. Audio is fine. I haven an XBox 360 and DISH Network ViP 722k both going to the receiver via HDMI. Then, HDMI out to a Vizio plasma. We never had this issue with our previous system. I've changed HDMI cable around, and no change. I contacted Yamaha Technical Support, and he claims it is a "hand-off" issue with the DISH box. Since then, I've played around and there was static even when using the 360, and the DISH wasn't even on. I have another TV in my game room I can carry down and see if there is a difference, but if this turns out to be a receiver issue, hopefully Yamaha or Best Buy will correct it; I'm not sure my wife can live with the static. frown.gif
Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? Maybe I can contact DISH and see if we can get a newer box. confused.gif
Old 11-11-2013, 07:32 PM

Hi Simmster,
I have the same system as you, although I have a DirecTV HD DVR receiver (instead of the Dish Network receiver), and a Sony 3D Blu-ray player connected to mine. I have not experienced anything like you mention. Not that this will matter, but when hooking up my components, I noticed that on my receiver, HDMI input 1 was labeled Blu-Ray, so I connected my blu-ray player to that port. I connected my DirecTV receiver to HDMI input 2. I can't honestly imagine why this would make ANY difference, but I figured if Yamaha labeled it that way, perhaps there was some reason for it. It couldn't hurt to swap your cables just to see if there is any difference. (And YES, I KNOW how outlandish this sounds!!)

The only trouble I DID have was that when viewing anything with a lower resolution than 480p, the video would black out for about 3 to 5 seconds ANY TIME I adjusted the volume up or down. This was ALMOST a deal-breaker for me. Fortunately, I discovered the solution on the Yamaha website. I went into my DirecTV receiver settings, and just turned OFF the 480i output, and PRESTO, problem solved.

Otherwise, I think the receiver (RX-V373) is outstanding and it seems to do everything well!

~Joey
Old 03-05-2014, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I recently bought this HTIB. The issue I'm having is when I bring the unit out of standby. I see this:

Any idea what this is? If I unplug the receiver it runs correctly until it goes into standby again. The TV is a Samsung PN60F5300 (latest firmware). I don't have any issues running components directly into the TV via HDMI