Onkyo HT-S3500 vs Denon DHT-1312XP Vs Yamaha RX-V373 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 01-26-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I am planning to buy home theatre and need your help in selecting between Onkyo HT-S3500 vs Denon DHT-1312XP Vs Yamaha RX-V373

My main usage will be for listening music 65% (from my PC/iPhone/FM/CD/TV)
Watching movies in Blu ray/ DVD - 10%
Watching movies/news/music in HD CHANNEL - 25%

Onkyo and Denon are more are less same price and Yamaha is bit costly but can go for it if it is better than onkyo and denon for my above usage.

Please help to provide your feedback..txs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-26-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
I have the Yamaha RX-V371 which is almost identical to the 373. I think the 373 may have the iPod input on the front? It's been a solid performer for us as far as audio goes. Can't comment on the other two because I've never used/heard them.
post #3 of 31 Old 01-27-2013, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

hi,
I got the speaker details as below.

Yamaha RX-V373 AVR with NS-P20 Speakers - $659 SGD
Yamaha RX-V373 AVR with NS-P40 Speakers - $880 SGD

Today gone to store and had demo for both Onkyo Hts3500 and Yamaha RX-V373 AVR with NS-P40 Speakers. Both are looking good..anyway entry level and within my budget...but yamaha with NS-P40 speakers are bit costly...

For listening music (mostly) - 65% and movie (25%), if onkyo is good..I will go for it...if yamaha is better option with NS-P20 speakers, then I will go for it even if it exceeds my budget a bit....

Denon DHT-1312XP Model is not available in this store and didn't had a chance and this model is also within my budget...Anyway I am going to other store for the demo on Denon..

Both Denon DHT-1312XP and Yamaha RX-V373AVR - NS-P20/40 speakers are having active subwoofers....but onkyo has passive subwoofer...

Yamaha RX--V374 with NS-P20 speakers is bit costly ( exceeds budget $50...no issues )

Yamaha RX--V374 with NS-P40 speakers is bit costly ( exceeds budget $200)

Apart from it both Denon-1312XP and Onkyo HTS3500 are within my budget with same price...

Forget about Marantz which I got from other thread while googling...I am also not heard of this brand....

My main concern is I can't have 2 different setup for music and movies and my entry level system should support at least 60% for music and 35-40% for movies....
post #4 of 31 Old 01-27-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Yamaha RX-V373 AVR with NS-P20 Speakers - $659 SGD
Yamaha RX-V373 AVR with NS-P40 Speakers - $880 SGD

Where are you located?

Afro GT
post #5 of 31 Old 01-27-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I would go with a system that has an active sub-woofer which means it probably doesn't have a built-in blu-ray player. The Yamaha speakers are ok for what they are but the receiver alone, with separate speakers would really be the way to go if that fits into your budget. Otherwise just plan on upgrading the speakers some day if the sound in not quite what you wanted.
post #6 of 31 Old 01-29-2013, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Finally, decided to go with either Yamaha RX-V373 with Yamaha NS-P40 speaker package or Denon DHT 1312XP.

ONKYO 3500:
In audition, all the speakers are arranged properly and demo had a good sound. I have tried different type of music which i had brought in my USB drive and found the bass is not so active and the woofer itself vibrating a lot. Understand it is passive subwoofer. Also in low volume it is not that much warm / listening...

Denon:
It is also properly arranged in demo room and sounds good. Having active woofer and we can also change the speakers in future....but it has no USB and component...i have copied all my music in my USB, but not able to listen to different type of music and apart from that it is ok for my budget..

Yamaha RX-V373
Tried 3 different stores and all of them kept all the speakers in one place and not arranged like ONKYO and Denon and not able to get the clear picture ...meaning clear surround sound frown.gif

But it has active woofer which ONKYO doesn't have

USB and components input which Denon doesn't have

Yamaha packaged speakers are not solid and heavy as compared to ONKYO and Denon

I am newbie and going for AVR for the first time..and I am not sure of speaker selection...both ONKYO 3500 and Denon DHT 1312xp had solid and weight is good (compared to other two)...but speakers comes with Yamaha RX-V373 is very light weighted and not solid....Here comes the confusion now... In the store they are not allowing to mix and match the speakers for Yamaha and only 2 options are left.. Either to go with YAMAHA NS-P20 or NS-P40..
Is it something like heavy speakers will produce good sound compared to light weight speakers?

Please help to advice...
post #7 of 31 Old 02-04-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Finally bought Yamaha HTR-3065 AVR with Yamaha NS-P20 home theatre speakers for $659.00 (SGD).
Initially I thought/some confusion over RX-V373 and HTR-3065 ANSI seems both are with same configuration...between pls let me if there are any difference between these AVR....
Any comments on price?
Settings up the things and post my comments soon..
A very big thanks to all your inputs in selecting a better option which also within my budget....as well said in this forum many times...DO YOUR AUDITION MORE WHICH SATISIFIES YOU.....since i am going to use it for more music than movies and also many +ve than onkyo 3500 and Denon 1312...i have gone to yamaha.....thanks once again..

There is a plan to upgrade the speakers later....and will come back
post #8 of 31 Old 02-04-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealjohn View Post

Finally bought Yamaha HTR-3065 AVR with Yamaha NS-P20 home theatre speakers for $659.00 (SGD).
Initially I thought/some confusion over RX-V373 and HTR-3065 ANSI seems both are with same configuration...between pls let me if there are any difference between these AVR....
Any comments on price?
Settings up the things and post my comments soon..
A very big thanks to all your inputs in selecting a better option which also within my budget....as well said in this forum many times...DO YOUR AUDITION MORE WHICH SATISIFIES YOU.....since i am going to use it for more music than movies and also many +ve than onkyo 3500 and Denon 1312...i have gone to yamaha.....thanks once again..

There is a plan to upgrade the speakers later....and will come back

The HTR (Home Theater Receiver) 3065 is just the model number of the receiver for the HTiB system. If you bought the receiver alone, it would be the RX-V373. Mine is the HTR-3064 which is the same as the RX-V371.
post #9 of 31 Old 05-24-2013, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
I have the YHT-397 HTIB. The speakers aren't bad but the Center Channel sucks. I'm going after the NS-C210 to compliment the others. Anyway, I have never been able to properly activate DRC on the HTR-3065 (RX-V373) Receiver for Dolby sources. It's supposed to display it on the front but never does. I don't use it but there's no off button and not sure which is the best setting, Min/Auto, Standard, or Maximum?
post #10 of 31 Old 05-24-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^ that's surprising because my center channel sounds great. A very good balance for dialog on any source and I've never had to strain to hear the dialog. How did you set yours up? I don't bother with DRC so can't help you there.
post #11 of 31 Old 05-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

^^^^^ that's surprising because my center channel sounds great. A very good balance for dialog on any source and I've never had to strain to hear the dialog. How did you set yours up? I don't bother with DRC so can't help you there.

I have the NS-AP2600 Speaker Pkg. Is that what you have? I set mine up using YPAO. Just to get the center halfway audible I had to turn up the trim level at least 2dBs higher than the mains. It's weird because if there's a lot of action with dialogue it's fine but just talking and my Wife and I have trouble hearing dialogue. I wish the dialogue would be at the level it is with action 100% of the time. I use Straight on Receiver for everything except video games and Linear PCM on PS3 for Blu-Rays, (I have an original 60g so no bitstreaming of HD Audio). No DRC with +1 on Volume Control for PS3. I can't change anything else so I'm assuming it's just a weak Center Channel but at the same time it sounds absolutely fine with action sequences.
post #12 of 31 Old 05-24-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^ yes. I have the same speaker set, NS-AP2600. My receiver doesn't have YPAO so I set it up manually. I'm not convinced how useful the auto-cal function is on these kinds of speakers. I too use Straight for everything. Bitstream is on and PCM downconversion is off for my Panasonic BDT-210 blu-ray player. No matter what I throw at my receiver, audio is always clear and well defined thru all the channels.
post #13 of 31 Old 05-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^^^^ yes. I have the same speaker set, NS-AP2600. My receiver doesn't have YPAO so I set it up manually. I'm not convinced how useful the auto-cal function is on these kinds of speakers. I too use Straight for everything. Bitstream is on and PCM downconversion is off for my Panasonic BDT-210 blu-ray player. No matter what I throw at my receiver, audio is always clear and well defined thru all the channels.

I think I'll try the NS-C210 Center. It's not much bigger than the current but has a better frequency response and I'm sure would sound a lot better. BTW, what is the maximum wattage for this receiver (HTR-3065/RX-V373)? I thought it was 500, 100W per channel but someone told me that it's only 25W per channel. Again, thanks for the info.
post #14 of 31 Old 05-24-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ keep in mind that listed specs may not be a good way to compare speakers because the mfr doesn't always tell you how the specs were derived (anechoic chamber, etc). The sensitivity of the center channel is 85dB (sats are 82dB) which is ok, but closer to 90dB or greater is ideal. However, if another center speaker works for you then that's all that matters. I run my system at 8 ohms so the 100W per channel (which is the 6 ohm rating) goes down to about 80 W per channel. Still plenty loud enough for us. RMS ( Root Mean Squared) is the amount of power you can apply to a speaker before damaging it, so the Maximum power output of the receiver (amplifier) should be the Minimum power that the speaker can handle. Higher RMS doesn't necessarily mean a clearer/cleaner sound. That's why I run mine at 8 ohms. I may have to crank up the volume a bit more but the possibility of damaging the speakers is a lot less. Also remember to set a MaxVol on your receiver (usually about 15dB less than it's maximum) to protect your system in case the volume gets cranked all the way up.
post #15 of 31 Old 05-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^^^ keep in mind that listed specs may not be a good way to compare speakers because the mfr doesn't always tell you how the specs were derived (anechoic chamber, etc). The sensitivity of the center channel is 85dB (sats are 82dB) which is ok, but closer to 90dB or greater is ideal. However, if another center speaker works for you then that's all that matters. I run my system at 8 ohms so the 100W per channel (which is the 6 ohm rating) goes down to about 80 W per channel. Still plenty loud enough for us. RMS ( Root Mean Squared) is the amount of power you can apply to a speaker before damaging it, so the Maximum power output of the receiver (amplifier) should be the Minimum power that the speaker can handle. Higher RMS doesn't necessarily mean a clearer/cleaner sound. That's why I run mine at 8 ohms. I may have to crank up the volume a bit more but the possibility of damaging the speakers is a lot less. Also remember to set a MaxVol on your receiver (usually about 15dB less than it's maximum) to protect your system in case the volume gets cranked all the way up.

I have it set up the same as yours. Receiver set at 8 ohms and I manually set my max volume at 0.0dB. The max volume the receiver has is +16dB and when watching blu-rays I usually keep it right around -15 to -12dbs. I'm still a little confused on the impedance. I've heard different opinions on setting the same as speakers and leaving it be at 8 ohms.
post #16 of 31 Old 05-24-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

I have it set up the same as yours. Receiver set at 8 ohms and I manually set my max volume at 0.0dB. The max volume the receiver has is +16dB and when watching blu-rays I usually keep it right around -15 to -12dbs. I'm still a little confused on the impedance. I've heard different opinions on setting the same as speakers and leaving it be at 8 ohms.

8 ohms is used because it's easier on the receiver (less energy output). If the speakers are "rated" for 6 ohms, they can easily handle 8 ohms. The problem lies when you have a receiver that can output more than the speaker is rated for. IOW, if your receiver can output 4 ohms, but your speakers are only rated for 6 ohms max, you could damage the speakers if you set the receiver for 4 ohms. (too much power). The Yamaha can output 6 ohms or 8 ohms. The speakers are rated for 6 ohms so you're ok. A lot of times the mfr will give the output power for receivers at its maximum, but that's based on running your speakers at 6 ohms. If you drop the receiver to 8 ohms, then the "loudness" will be somewhat less, so you have to crank up the volume. So 100W per speaker at 6 ohms or 80W per speaker at 8 ohms.
post #17 of 31 Old 05-25-2013, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

8 ohms is used because it's easier on the receiver (less energy output). If the speakers are "rated" for 6 ohms, they can easily handle 8 ohms. The problem lies when you have a receiver that can output more than the speaker is rated for. IOW, if your receiver can output 4 ohms, but your speakers are only rated for 6 ohms max, you could damage the speakers if you set the receiver for 4 ohms. (too much power). The Yamaha can output 6 ohms or 8 ohms. The speakers are rated for 6 ohms so you're ok. A lot of times the mfr will give the output power for receivers at its maximum, but that's based on running your speakers at 6 ohms. If you drop the receiver to 8 ohms, then the "loudness" will be somewhat less, so you have to crank up the volume. So 100W per speaker at 6 ohms or 80W per speaker at 8 ohms.

Thanks for all helpful info Otto Pylot. While my kids were taking their naps today I was tinkering around with a Dolby True HD Blu-Ray and I actually got the Adaptive DRC to finally work. By pressing OPTION on the remote it comes up with a sub-menu that I was never aware of. I was able to activate DRC. There's also a setting called input volume. What does that do exactly? I know regular DRC only works with Dolby sources but since this is "Adaptive" DRC will it work with DTS? Is it safe to assume that if Adaptive DRC is not being applied to anything it would not appear on the front display? I was playing a video game on PS3 that was in PCM and the Adaptive DRC was visible on the front display.
post #18 of 31 Old 05-26-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ I've never messed around with DRC so I can't really answer your question. I would think that Input Volume would do just what it says, modulate the volume that is coming into the system from the source. Maybe it's a protective measure in case the volume on your source is accidentally set too high. Sort of like the MaxVol on the receiver protecting it from being accidentally cranked up to max.
post #19 of 31 Old 05-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^^^ I've never messed around with DRC so I can't really answer your question. I would think that Input Volume would do just what it says, modulate the volume that is coming into the system from the source. Maybe it's a protective measure in case the volume on your source is accidentally set too high. Sort of like the MaxVol on the receiver protecting it from being accidentally cranked up to max.

Someone on the UK Forums said Adaptive DRC works with all sound codecs. I have noticed with it activated I'm able to hear a lot more dialogue while watching satellite programming.
post #20 of 31 Old 05-26-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^ my tv is OTA only so maybe it's more useful for pay tv (sat/cable) due to compression or what ever. However it works, if it makes your listening more enjoyable, then by all means use it.
post #21 of 31 Old 05-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

My receiver has a range of -65 to +16.5dB. It's only useable from -20 to -8dB though. What I mean is it's too low and almost inaudible from -21dB to -65dB and too loud from -8 to +16.5dB.
post #22 of 31 Old 05-28-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

My receiver has a range of -65 to +16.5dB. It's only useable from -20 to -8dB though. What I mean is it's too low and almost inaudible from -21dB to -65dB and too loud from -8 to +16.5dB.

Same range as mine. That is most strange tho. -25dB is the comfortable listening setting for us. We watched Skyfall yesterday (blu-ray) and cranked it up to -19dB just to hear the "big booms" etc and that was almost too loud for us. Sometimes my son will crank it down to -30dB or further for night time viewing so as to not disturb us, but it's still listenable for him late at night. Most of the time we just leave it at -25dB for all sources, OTA tv, AppleTV2, blu-ray/DVD.
post #23 of 31 Old 05-28-2013, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Same range as mine. That is most strange tho. -25dB is the comfortable listening setting for us. We watched Skyfall yesterday (blu-ray) and cranked it up to -19dB just to hear the "big booms" etc and that was almost too loud for us. Sometimes my son will crank it down to -30dB or further for night time viewing so as to not disturb us, but it's still listenable for him late at night. Most of the time we just leave it at -25dB for all sources, OTA tv, AppleTV2, blu-ray/DVD.

It is weird indeed. Maybe I'm just different and like it loud. It is definitely nice to know I can crank it up without distortions though. Haven't seen Skyfall yet. Is it as good as everyone says it is?
post #24 of 31 Old 05-28-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ Skyfall was ok. Not my most favorite Bond movie (I'm an old Sean Connery/Pierce Brosnan fan).
post #25 of 31 Old 06-22-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

^^^^ Skyfall was ok. Not my most favorite Bond movie (I'm an old Sean Connery/Pierce Brosnan fan).

Ugh. Craig needs to be fired. I think all his Bond movies are terrible. The only good thing about them is the parkour scene in Royale. That was awesome.

500 gigs FTW.
post #26 of 31 Old 06-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

If I change the impedance from 8 to 6 ohms on receiver do I have to redo YPAO?
post #27 of 31 Old 06-23-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea because lowering the impedence increases the loudness of the speakers, but using YPAO sometimes causes more confusion than it seems to be worth. Keep in mind that lowering the impedence puts more strain (heat production) on the receiver and forces the sats to work a bit harder.
post #28 of 31 Old 06-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

I have RX-V373 with Directv connected via Digital Coax (AV 2) for sound and PS3 (HDMI 1) connected via HDMI. I have everything on Straight with only Compressed Music Enhancer enabled, I find it sounds more full and lively with it on, even if it's only a subtle difference. Sometimes on a non-HD channel it says PCM on Directv and I press Surr-Decode to activate DD Pro Logic II: Movie and it sounds good or at least better than PCM which I believe is 2 channel. Same with video games only I use DD Pro Logic II: Game. Problem: I have to keep switching back and forth between Movie and Game after playing a game and switching to Directv because it will say DD PL II:Game instead of Movie and vice versa. Is there any way to set DDPRII:Game to HDMI 1 which is PS3 and DDPLII:Movie to AV 2 which is Directv or do I just have to manually switch it every time?
post #29 of 31 Old 07-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Yesterday I had an issue I've never had before and I'm not sure if it was my RX-V373 or PS3. I turned on Receiver then PS3 and then TV. Receiver recognized PS3 but no sound or video. After powering everything down and restarting several times, still the same black screen on TV. Again, Receiver recognized the PS3. After switching from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 (Receiver) it worked. I then switched back to HDMI 1 and it worked. Do I have a bad HDMI port or is there a particular order I need to follow, (turn TV on 1st, then PS3, and Receiver)?
post #30 of 31 Old 07-05-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ interesting. The way I have mine setup (for use with a Harmony remote) is that the receiver comes on first, then the tv, and then any peripheral I want to use (blu-ray player/ATV2). Single click of a button to initiate the sequence. Don't know if that makes a difference or not but I've not had an issue in almost 2 years.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Onkyo Ht S3500 5 1 Channel Home Theater Speaker Receiver Package , Yamaha Rx V373 5 1 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - V373 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page