First time home theater for a complete noob - need help!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought myself a 65" Panny VT50 and am currently remodeling the room I'll have it in. I'm finally going to have room for a 5.1/7.1 set-up though I'm also condering a soundbar instead. I'm really not sure how all this works and my budget is $400 max, though I'd like it to be as close to $300 as possible. I've always just used the TV speakers (Yea yea yea tongue.gif) so this will be my first high-quality sound set-up.

I'd like to keep this as simple and as user-friendly as possible and I do have a handful of questions for you guys:

Can the speakers just be run out of the TV so they work just like the built-in speakers or do I have to have everything set through a receiver? I mean, to get sound for each device I use (cable box, game system, PC, etc) can I just change inputs as I do now via the TV or would I have to change inputs via the reciever? If that even makes sense tongue.gif

The less wires the better, so ideally, I was wondering if there are any 5.1 systems with wireless rear-speakers to avoid having to run wires throughout the room?

Lastly, what would you guys recommend for my current price-range? They don't have to be some super-kick-ass speakers, just decent is fine with me haha.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-28-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 274
The $300 - $400 price range is going to be tough if you want a receiver and speakers (5.1). I'm not familiar with soundbars so maybe someone else will chime in. You can probably find a 5.1 HTiB system from Yamaha, Onkyo, or Denon in that price range (closer to $400). Unless your tv has audio out (other than optical) you probably won't be able to power external speakers so a receiver or soundbar with multiple inputs is what would work best for you. Wireless works but keep in mind that it's not truly wireless. You still need to have the side speakers receiving unit connected to an AC outlet and then the two speakers will be connected by wire. There aren't any wires connecting the side speakers to the main unit, hence "wireless".
post #3 of 5 Old 01-28-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

The $300 - $400 price range is going to be tough if you want a receiver and speakers (5.1). I'm not familiar with soundbars so maybe someone else will chime in. You can probably find a 5.1 HTiB system from Yamaha, Onkyo, or Denon in that price range (closer to $400). Unless your tv has audio out (other than optical) you probably won't be able to power external speakers so a receiver or soundbar with multiple inputs is what would work best for you. Wireless works but keep in mind that it's not truly wireless. You still need to have the side speakers receiving unit connected to an AC outlet and then the two speakers will be connected by wire. There aren't any wires connecting the side speakers to the main unit, hence "wireless".

Thank you for the reply! I've been able to up my budget to $500 (MAX) and I found a factory refurbed Onkyo S7500 for $499 <- Would that be the best route for me to take?
Also, I fully understand that the speakers still need to be plugged in - not a problem as there's actually outlets on either side to where I plan on putting them. The issue would come from running wires to the receiver. smile.gif
post #4 of 5 Old 01-28-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 274
I don't see where the S7500 has wireless speakers. You can stream music from an external source wirelessly but it looks like the speakers themselves are wired, unless I missed something in the description. The wireless streaming requires the purchase of a separate adapter that plugs into the front of the receiver.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I don't see where the S7500 has wireless speakers. You can stream music from an external source wirelessly but it looks like the speakers themselves are wired, unless I missed something in the description. The wireless streaming requires the purchase of a separate adapter that plugs into the front of the receiver.

You are correct, I realized this after I made the post. Apparently there's only one or two HTiB's which come with actual wireless speakers and they are fairly crappy sony and samsung models which is sad. I suppose I could always run the wires through my ceiling tiles so it may not be of issue.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page