$500 to Build 5.1 System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-28-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After a bit of searching, I haven't been able to zero in on what's best for my situation, so please bear with me if this is previously furrowed ground. I need to purchase a 5.1 system for my TV room that will be fed from my DirecTV receiver and my DVD player. Right now, those are the only two sources (no PS3 or additional devices, but I want some "expandability" for future).

• Room is about 12 X 15 feet, 8 feet ceiling.
  • Budget is $500 to $600.
  • Wireless rear speakers and/or subwoofer would help, but not necessary (I have attic access).
  • Need receiver and speakers or combo HTIB (but I'm really leaning toward separates, if necessary for sound quality)
  • Sound quality is major priority (within budget limitations). Needs to be loud and clear, but not earth-shattering.
  • Primary use is for DirecTV broadcast channels and DVD movies.
  • Receiver must have remote for adjusting source input, volume and major audio functions (balance, center, sub, surround). Needs to be "user-friendly" for my spouse (for the basics--power, volume, and source input).
  • Both sources (DirecTV receiver and Panny DVD player) have Dolby 5.1 optical out, but not sure if they have HDMI.
  • Not concerned about expandability to 7.1.
  • I'm fairly handy with rigging and setup.

Thanks for any help. Svenfran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-30-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Well, right, wrong, or indifferent, I went ahead and ordered the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker system and a Yamaha RX-V373 AVR to power them. I know this isn't going to produce prodigious SPL or wow an audiophile, but for my small room, with my limited budget, and my spouse's aversion to really loud sound, it should do fine. The system came in at $609.

All the reviews I read of the Energy speakers were favorable, and the jury is out on this low-end Yamaha AVR (couldn't find reviews, so I bought on reputation). I'll report back once it's installed with my own review of the components, features, and sound. In the meantime, comments are welcome, including opinions about whether I've screwed up by not doing more homework. :-)
post #3 of 4 Old 01-30-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

One remaining question: I bought multi-axis speaker mounts from monoprice.com that should allow me to aim the four satellites in nearly any direction (and that mount them a few inches away from the wall, due to the rear facing ports). My listening location is on a couch along the back wall, and I'm planning to mount the speakers up high in the corners of the room, pointing as close as I can directly at the listening location. Is pointing the speakers directly toward the listener important for optimal sound quality? I'm guessing that since they're pretty small and serve the higher end of the audio spectrum, these speakers need to be pointed more or less on-axis, but I'm not sure.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-30-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenfran View Post

Well, right, wrong, or indifferent, I went ahead and ordered the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker system and a Yamaha RX-V373 AVR to power them. I know this isn't going to produce prodigious SPL or wow an audiophile, but for my small room, with my limited budget, and my spouse's aversion to really loud sound, it should do fine. The system came in at $609.

All the reviews I read of the Energy speakers were favorable, and the jury is out on this low-end Yamaha AVR (couldn't find reviews, so I bought on reputation). I'll report back once it's installed with my own review of the components, features, and sound. In the meantime, comments are welcome, including opinions about whether I've screwed up by not doing more homework. :-)

I have the RX-V371 and it has been a solid performer with plenty of power for our listening environment which is about the same rooms size as you, only we have a 12' cathedral ceiling behind the tv. I've looked at the Take Classics as an upgrade for mine but will probably go with the MLT-2s.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page