Yamaha Yht 397 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-30-2013, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone know anything about this unit. I know it's a little older but from what I read it can do everything I would need. On Amazon it's 299. Sound like a decent deal? Any reason specifically to stay away from it? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-12-2013, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to know too. I've had my eye on this one for a while now. For the price it looks excellent.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-12-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 274
I have the YHT-395 and I think the only difference is auto-calibration and maybe an iPod port on the front (?). The receiver for the YHT-395 is the RX-V371 and I think the receiver for the YHT-397 is the RX-V373. Mine is even a bit older than the 397 and it has been a solid performer for almost the last 1.5 years and is used every single day.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 06:20 AM

Liked: 24
^ ^^ ^ And who helped recommend that great Yamaha of yours? wink.gif
post #5 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Would it even be worth considering in a room that's a little over 20'x20'. The back speakers will be behind the couch at approximately 13' but still a big room to fill. Finishing my basement from scratch so not much left in the budget for initial sound system but getting the feeling I might have to just bite the bullet and get a stronger pieced together system instead of htib. What ya think?
post #6 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 08:16 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JReuter21 View Post

Would it even be worth considering in a room that's a little over 20'x20'. The back speakers will be behind the couch at approximately 13' but still a big room to fill. Finishing my basement from scratch so not much left in the budget for initial sound system but getting the feeling I might have to just bite the bullet and get a stronger pieced together system instead of htib. What ya think?

For the room size you are describing, a HTIB would be better than just TV speakers, but it is always better to buy a separate AVR and choose some speakers that better suit the room size and still be in budget range. Polk and Martin Logan often have good prices on separate speakers that woudl go well with a Yamaha AVR. You can check Ebay for the Polk webstore, as well as Newegg which has Polk on sale regularly as well ad Martin Logan at times.

If it were me, I would look for a nice pair of Polk towers and a center channel speaker for the front and either the same towers for the rear or perhaps some smaller Polk satellites that can be wall or stand mounted. And. .. . maybe two 8" to 10" sub woofers. Yes... two, because in that sized room if you want good LFE (Low Frequency Effects) for movies, then two woofers would fit the ticket.smile.gif

Others may recommend more. . . or less, but this would really still be a nominal priced system and yet give you pretty darned good sound.

You can also often pick up some great deals on used or refurb speakers on Ebay. I personally always liked the Polk M50 or R50 that I think is better than some of their newer models and can often be found at around $200 for a PAIR.Or some Monitor 60s or 70s are really nice.

Here's Newegg and Ebay:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006922&isNodeId=1&Description=Yamaha+RX-V&x=0&y=0

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006922&isNodeId=1&Description=Polk&x=0&y=0

http://www.ebay.com/sch/TV-Video-Home-Audio-/32852/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Polk+Monitor

A modest system would cost somewhere between $1,000 to $1,600, but you can always add a piece at a time. Start with the AVR with front towers and center channel. Add rears, and then sub woofers. Or use the plastic. If you are patient, the Polks are on sale regularly and if you watch you can save hundreds on them. Are their better speakers than Polk? Of course. . . but they are a good choice compared to spending $3K to $10K or more on high end stuff.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

^ ^^ ^ And who helped recommend that great Yamaha of yours? wink.gif

biggrin.gif
post #8 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReuter21 View Post

As Phase correctly pointed out, building from separates is always better. The speakers that come with most, if not all, HTiBs, are ok but there are much better sounding speakers for not that much more money, if you're on a budget. I saw the RX-V373 receiver on sale this morning at our local Fry's for about $180. A set of MLT-2s (5.1) would cost about $350. Add speaker stands, wire, etc and you're up to about $650 or thereabouts. If bookshelf-sized speakers is what you want, then a system like that would sound really good. If you want towers, then Phase's suggestion is a good place to start. Or, you could just get the HTiB and just plan on upgrading your speakers later on down the road. At least you'd have a functioning system to get you started and then just take the time to listen to various speakers and decide on what you want. That's what I did. Our room is a little smaller than yours (20x17) with a cathedral ceiling. The side speakers are either side of the couch (which is at the back wall). The sound fills the room quite nicely with the little speakers that came with the HTiB. Upgrades are coming this year so I'm expecting somewhat of richer and more defined sound. Furnishings, wall/floor coverings, etc will greatly influence how any speaker system will sound so take that into consideration as well.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

I was thinking about the pioneer sp-pk22bs 5.1 system or the energy classic 5.1. Was kind of leaning toward the pioneer because it said it had better sound just a little more bulky. Which doesn't really concern me since the room is pretty big. Although I think I would prefer to stay away from towers. Unless you think there is that much more upside to towers?

How would those setups you had mentioned compare to the pioneer? Should I start to reconsider. Btw for an avr I was planning on buying whatever was the best price with the most hdmi hook ups for the most part. Any thoughts in that? I've heard it's much better to invest in the speakers since the avr doesn't make all that much of a difference.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

You should "interview" (listen) to the speakers first if you can. Specs are one thing but they can be misleading because you don't know the conditions they were tested under (anechoic chamber, etc), unless given. Towers generally have bigger drivers so there's a better dynamic range and sound presence to them. The Energy's are good speakers for what they are but they have 3" drivers and 3/4" tweets. The MLT-2s have 4.5" drivers and 1" tweets. The sub-woofer on the Energy is 8" whereas the MLT-2 is 10".

It is true that better speakers will make a mediocre receiver sound better but the opposite is true as well. Sub-par speakers will make a great receiver sound bad. The Yamaha receiver is a good entry level receiver for most people with modest HTS so I wouldn't worry about the receiver.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-16-2013, 09:47 AM

I have the YHT-397. Aside from a few quirks that are mostly due to my setup, the system itself sounds very nice for the money. I can get the little 8inch 100W sub to shake the windows in the house and get the floor to rumble in our 24'x13" room. Obviously, this isn't a "high end" system, but I think a lot of people would be pleasantly surprised at the audio quality and intensity of the system for the just $300.

Ultimately, it does just boil down to money. If you want to build your own system it might cost a little more money....around another $100 or so and then moving it's way upward from there depending on what you choose, but the YHT-397 has exceeded my expectations of what I thought it would be.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-16-2013, 07:37 PM

I just bought the Yamaha thy 397 on Amazon for $299 yesterday. When it ships and I get it all setup I will post my thoughts
post #13 of 14 Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outkizast View Post

I just bought the Yamaha thy 397 on Amazon for $299 yesterday. When it ships and I get it all setup I will post my thoughts

I ordered one today. Should be here Wednesday. I'm not sure about the speakers but my current speakers might be a little better so I may end up using those. I have a 10 year old Onkyo HT-S650 system which has some relatively decent speakers, quite a bit bigger than the Yamahas, but unfortunately the receiver got hit by lighting and it fried so I'm having to replace it. If the Yamaha speakers sound good enough I will end up using them simply because they are smaller and will take up a lot less space than the big Onkyos. If they suck though, I'll just stick with the Onkyos.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
I just bought this system last week but I'm having trouble figuring out which speaker mounts to buy. Anyone know of any to pick?
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page