Help Me Watch The BIG GAME In Surround Sound, PLEASE!!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-03-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just setup my Onkyo HT-S3400 with my Sony NX8 TV...

Everything is connected vi HDMI, I have a Blu Ray player and PS3 HDMI'ed into the Onkyo receiver and one HDMI cable out from the receiver to the TV...

1. How do I get the receiver to play TV audio? i.e. when I watch the game tv(via OVER THE AIR free antenna reception), how can I get the sound to play from the onkyo speakers?

2. My PS3 does not come thru... I have tried RESETTING the display settings on it with the pwr button hold for 5secs and it seems to reset but nothing comes up.. I'm thinking it may be the cable and so I'm on my way to buy one now..

3. Anything else I'm missing? Is it possible to control the TV and blu ray with the Onkyo receiver control? THAT would be awesome!!!

let me know what yall think!

oNe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-03-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Price View Post

1. How do I get the receiver to play TV audio? i.e. when I watch the game tv(via OVER THE AIR free antenna reception), how can I get the sound to play from the onkyo speakers?

Enable ARC (Bravia Sync) on the TV. There may also be a setting for HDMI-CTL (CEC) on the Onkyo. Be sure the HDMI cable between the TV & receiver is high-speed and that you plugged in to the HDMI (ARC) port on the TV. Set the TV speakers to "external". As an alternate connection you can run a toslink cable from TV to AVR and use that instead of ARC.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-03-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
For me, running an optical out from the tv to the receiver is much easier. Less communication between the receiver (Bravia Sync, ARC, CEC, etc) for things to go wrong or not handshake correctly. ARC can have issues as well. If you do use an optical cable, just turn off the tv's speakers and make sure you select the correct input (for the TV/Optical) on the receiver. That's how I have mine setup (OTA tv only) and use the receiver all of the time for any audio source (blu-ray, ATV2, OTA tv, etc).
post #4 of 7 Old 02-06-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I've done optical out from the TV for better sound during one of the storms when the cable was out, and it worked well.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-13-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU, THANK YOU GENTLEMEN...

You SAVED ME!! I was able to watch the big game with SOUND via my sound system..

HONESTLY, I had no idea what you all were talking about.. Bravia sync, Enable ARC? HDMI-CTL, ect, ect..

I went thru every menu on my NX8 and saw nothing about ARC and NOTHING about Bravia sync anywhere on my TV..

I ended up using a 2ch stereo RCA cable.. plugged red/white into my TV stereo out and went to tv/vcr rca input on the Onkyo receiver...

How can I learn more about all this stuff? Either I'm missing a manual or Onkyo just doesn't explain the actual receiver itself? I have tons of paperwork that came with it but not seeing anything that goes in depth on the receiver itself?

thanks again!

oNe
post #6 of 7 Old 02-13-2013, 01:01 PM

I'm reading through your post so I can gain more knowledge about audio and video. You're on the right website for sure. Just keep reading...smile.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 02-19-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Price View Post

THANK YOU, THANK YOU GENTLEMEN...

You SAVED ME!! I was able to watch the big game with SOUND via my sound system..

HONESTLY, I had no idea what you all were talking about.. Bravia sync, Enable ARC? HDMI-CTL, ect, ect..

I went thru every menu on my NX8 and saw nothing about ARC and NOTHING about Bravia sync anywhere on my TV..

I ended up using a 2ch stereo RCA cable.. plugged red/white into my TV stereo out and went to tv/vcr rca input on the Onkyo receiver...

How can I learn more about all this stuff? Either I'm missing a manual or Onkyo just doesn't explain the actual receiver itself? I have tons of paperwork that came with it but not seeing anything that goes in depth on the receiver itself?

thanks again!

oNe

Man, no surround sound? You should switch to optical. That's what I've used in the past to backfeed 5.1 audio, it doesn't require full support on both ends like ARC.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page