stuck trying to get DTS HD and HD MA from an HTPC with a Samsung HTB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-08-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I have been having this issue that is getting on my nerve. Let's first describe my set up:

1- HTPC with Nvidia GT520 (which supports DTS HD) and windows 7 x64

2- Samsung HT 6750w, (a DTS HD and MA capable receiver)

3- Samsung Plasma.

The way i connected them is having an hdmi cable going from the HTPC to the receiver, another HDMI cable from the reciver to the TV

sound works fine and i get surround but cannot get DTS HD. However when i go to sound properties in control panel, i see that i have two sound devices: one that says Samsung and has a TV icon and is set as the default and the other one says Nvidia High Definition, but says not plugged in (even though i have one hdmi out on the htpc.

when i click on the samsung sound device (that looks like a tv) and go to properties it only shows that it supports DTS and dolby.

Now here is what i think is happening: Although the HTPC is connected to the samsung receiver, which is connected to the TV, the PC only sees the TV during the hdmi handshake and therefore it only gives me the TV sound capabilities instead of the Samsung receiver.

It is driving me nuts, i tried everything: Uninstalled/reinstalled old and new nvidia drivers. I even formated the htpc and installed win 7 from scratch today but still the same issue.

IS there a way i can force Win 7 to handshake with samsung receiver instead of TV ?

I ran across some posts mentioning an EDID override, but most of those who have this issue have ATI cards and not Nvidia.

I am really lost, can anyone help me plz ?

EDIT: I still get sound even though i have the Nvidia High Definition Audio not plugged in message and it being greyed out

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-08-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Simple, quick question. What kind of HDMI cables are you using? Standard or High Speed?
post #3 of 5 Old 02-08-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i think i figured it out. This player (and most HTIB) do not support DTS HD via HDMI input. That must be it then.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-08-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by strugler View Post

i think i figured it out. This player (and most HTIB) do not support DTS HD via HDMI input. That must be it then.

That's not true. My HTiB (Yamaha) supports lossless audio via High Speed HDMI just fine from my blu-ray player (which passes the lossless audio to the receiver). You just can't play lossless audio thru your tv and back out via optical (or HDMI ARC). If the audio is decoded in the receiver (or blu-ray player) first, and just the video is sent to the tv, it's fine. If you're running the signal thru your tv first, the best you're going to be able to do is stereo or some variation of. The tv doesn't do any audio processing and just passes what it can unless you are using the internal ATSC tuner, and then it can only pass 5.1 via optical if the source is in 5.1.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-08-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Some HTIBs support lossless audio, others don't. If yours does, look for a receiver setting that disables the HDMI audio output. That will prevent the handshake that may be causing your problems. However, when the TV handshake interferes, you usually get stereo, not DD or DTS. So, the problem may be a lack of lossless decoding altogether.

Also, are there any settings on your PC that control the card's output? Specifically, how does it handle Secondary Audio, which can lead to a lossy output?
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page