Help connecting home theatre and and other hdmi devices to tv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-15-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been doing a lot of research trying to see what the best idea is to connect my tv to my devices. I'm in the process of a living room addition to my house which is almost complete and want to make the best wiring possible before I lay down the insulation and drywall to cover the walls. I want a clean look and wanted to mount the tv to the wall with nothing around it. All of the receivers will be in a corner away from the tv (approx 20 ft). I bought 2 sets of 4-input hdmi wall plates that I planned on putting one behind the tv and running 4 hdmi cables through the wall to the corner where I want to put all the devices. I'm sure theres a more efficient and simpler way to do this than what I have planned but can't seem to find anything. I was looking at a hdmi switcher but not sure if thats what I need or not. Any suggestions?

Devices I want connected to the tv:
-DirecTV
-Bose v25 (still need to purchase)
-PS3 (not temporarily but would like the option to bring it and use it there if i would ever want to)
-Blu-ray player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-15-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 220
I'll start this by saying that High Speed HDMI is certified up to 25' so anything past that should work, but you may want to consider something like Redmere cables which are certified for longer lengths. However, there are other solutions as well. What ever you do, I'd run conduit! That way you can easily replace/upgrade your cabling should a cable go bad or better technology becomes available down the road. Also, make sure your cables are rated for in-wall use (CL2 or CL3).
MrM1862 likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-15-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I'd suggest getting a receiver so that you only need to run a single HDMI cable from the equipment to the display. Even if you aren't installing a sound system now, I'd also run speaker wire for 5.1 or 7.1 before closing up the walls.

If you don't go the receiver route, an HDMI switch would still let you go with one long cable instead of four or more.
MrM1862 likes this.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-15-2013, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
dont buy the v25. Use that money for a real receiver ( with enough HDMI ports to accomodate all your equipment. Run one HDMI cable to your tv) AND better speakers, And a better sub. You'll still have $ left to take yourself out for a very nice dinner. And much better sound.

...what a long, strange trip its been.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-15-2013, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the help guys. I already have the CL2 speaker wire cable that im installing before the drywall is up. I don't know too much about home theatre systems but I do like the sound that comes out the Bose when I test the demos at fry's/best buy. What would be a better option that sounds as good and or better for the price. Anything good for around 1k? I could do more if needed.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-16-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Many here will recommend against Bose, which tends to be over priced and isn't nearly as good. You can get an excellent non-Bose system for around a grand. If there's a real AV shop in your area, maybe even a Magnolia inside a Best Buy, go do some listening. You'll likely find affordable systems that sound considerably better than the Bose. Sound quality aside, the v25 only has three HDMI inputs and does not appear to decode lossless dts-MA, which is used on most Blu-rays.

But, even with the Bose, why are you planning to run all those cables to the TV? It has multiple HDMI inputs and feeds a single HDMI output to the TV.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-16-2013, 12:20 PM

Liked: 11
Also seems to me if u run all your devices straight to the TV, won't you lose out on encoded audio by not using an AV Receiver at has decodes?
post #8 of 8 Old 02-16-2013, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Presumably, he's planning to use other audio connections to the sound system, optical and coax I would guess.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page