Advice on selecting a system with Speaker A+B, 7.1 and Dolby Volume - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 02-18-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have read a lot of useful info on this forum and have just joined in order to ask for your advice on the following:

Short version:
I am looking for a System with the following features -
Speaker A+B functionality
Dolby Volume/Audyssey Dynamic Volume or equivalent
< $600

Longer version:
I am looking for a system for my living room that can also drive my outdoor speakers.
90% if not 100% of the input will come from a single HDMI input as I will be using a Hisense Pulse Google TV device to supply the entertainment, (TV, music, games etc.). The Pulse box does not have any outputs other than a single HDMI out.
Since the audio will be coming in on the HDMI I need a system that can relay the HDMI audio to my outdoor speakers and from what I have read this rules out any multi-zone system, (other than very high end systems), as they can only play analog inputs to the other zones. Hence my requirement for a system with Speaker A+B functionality so that I can run the system with Speaker A only most of the time, and then switch to Speaker A+B to create a 'party mode' replicating the audio from the HDMI input in both the main room and outdoors.

My requirement for 7.1 is partly due to my understanding that once Speaker A+B is enabled, the receiver will use one of the amplifiers to drive the 'B' speakers and therefore drop the main room to 5.1. This is fine with me and actually desirable due to an additional requirement:
My main room is open to the kitchen which is directly behind my sofa, I want to put the rear speakers of the 7.1 setup in the kitchen to be used as intended as the rear speakers when the system is in Speaker A only 7.1 mode but also to allow them to be used as a 'Speaker B' pair during a party. In order to achieve this and also drive the outdoor speakers, it would be great if I could find a system with powered speaker B out AND speaker B line out, (as the back speakers in the kitchen will be connected via a wireless audio bridge). If this is not possible to find, then I don't mind using a splitter from the single powered speaker B output to drive both sets at the same time effectively from the same output.

Some form of Volume correction is required as this is one of the main 'selling' features in order to secure funding from the wife :-)

Finally the price - I realise in this range we are probably looking at home theatre in a box or lower end receivers and speaker sets. I am fine with this.

I have been looking at some Onky systems but can't find anything that exactly meets my needs. The AVX-290 looks interesting but lacks the 7.1 sound, (and the speaker B line out that I mentioned), and the HT-S5500 has 7.1 but lacks the speaker B functionality.

Finally I am not against refurbished items from the likes of Accessories4Less to keep costs down.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page