CEC issues with Onkyo HT-S3400 and Vizio TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-26-2013, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I had my HT-S3400 previously hooked up to my Panny , and the CEC functions worked flawlessly.

I now moved my system to my Vizio E420i-A0 TV in another room, and I'm having issues with the CEC functions.

For one, if I'm watching TV with the STB or BD player, and if I want to turn off the Onkyo and just listen through the TV speakers, the Onkyo will turn back on in about 5 seconds, and sometimes revert to TV/CD input on the amp. The only fix for now is to turn off RIHD control on the Onkyo, and from the HDMI menu select pass-through last selected input.
Anyone have these issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-26-2013, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Update: Apparantly I am not the only one with this issue. On the Onkyo forum, other people have this issue.
http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?t=1516&p=4209

I talked to Onkyo tech support, who seem to be helpful. They said they have a lab with different TV's and will foward my case to the techs to see what they find.

I also called Vizio, and they too will get back to me.

I have to think its Vizio's problem because like I said, the amp worked with no issues with my Panny LCD.

Its almost as if the Onkyo is getting a signal from the Vizio to turn on through the HDMI. But why it reverts to TV?CD is beyond me. The ARC function is turned off in the Onkyo.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-03-2013, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think it's a Vizio issue. Their TVs are pretty subpar and bottom of the ladder. My dad purchased a 651 65" Vizio and we paired it up with a YHT-397 and it has issues that I have mostly alleviated, but it's not an optimal setup. When the TV turns on, it takes another 6-7 seconds for the receiver to turn on. If you do video pass through the receiver to the TV, there was a delay on standard definition channels. Using the digital cable remote to turn up the volume is a vague and clunky process as the volume never fluidly moves up and down and there is a delay. It's the TV on our setup, so probably the same on your end.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-03-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
CEC can be a real problem and seems to be more trouble than it's worth. Some tv's implement it better than others but I wouldn't depend on any Vizio to work correctly. If you keep the Vizio, just don't use CEC and get yourself a programmable remote like a Harmony.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-22-2013, 11:06 AM

This is proving to be a real pain in the ass for me. I think I am going to return the Vizio and get something else. 

post #6 of 10 Old 11-22-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 126
If you like the TV, other than the HDMI control issues, I suggest you turn off CEC and use a remote like a Harmony and an optical connection for any audio you need to feed from the set to your sound system. HDMI CEC is a crap shot with lots of TVs, not just Vizios.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-01-2014, 09:39 AM

Did you solve this? My dad's having the same problem getting his new Vizio and Onkyo HTS3400 to work together. He's trying to use ARC with all inputs going through TV after ARC wouldn't work.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-01-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

This is a four month old thread but BIslander's, and my suggestions are probably the easiest way out for the ARC/CEC issues, which are two different protocols but closely related.

Don't use ARC. The only real advantage of ARC is that it eliminates the need to use an optical cable. The audio at best will still be 5.1, not lossless (HD audio). Get an optical cable and be done with it.

As far as CEC goes, just get a good programmable remote, like a Harmony, and use that.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-01-2014, 05:37 PM

It's a problem with how TV manufactures implement CEC. I confirmed this buying a HDMI bus monitor (By RainShadow Technologies) and PC software to monitor CEC Bus (Pin 13 HDMI port). My findings are most TV's make CEC assumptions 1. All devices are plugged into the TV and they force the receiver to select TV source input. I know CEC is implemented differently, because LG TV's send out the source set every 10 seconds. Samsung AnyNet+ TV's do it a couple seconds after power up. Form my testing Panasonic does CEC source set correctly, only asking the receiver to change source when the TV needs to output audio (Smart TV content). Maybe Sony does it correctly too, but I still need to test.

Until the CEC specification is revised or made clearer to the TV firmware programmers we are going to have these problems that make CEC problematic and unusable. Such a good idea gone bad with poor implementation.

Update 7.25.2014 - Sony is confirmed to work correctly with CEC, ARC and receiver input switching. Panasonic is also confirmed to work correctly. Vizio and Samsung do not.

Last edited by VideoNavi; 07-25-2014 at 04:27 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-02-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Basically the CEC requirements need to be standardized like HDMI and then implemented by all of the tv mfrs and I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Onkyo Ht S3400 5 1 Channel Home Theater System
Gear in this thread - S3400 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page