Pieceing together a new system - Looking for feedback - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-27-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm moving into a new house next week and will have a dedicated home theater room. I currently have an Onkyo HTIB + Elemental Designs A5-350 sub. Basically I want to know if there are any potential issues with pairing these speakers with the receiver I'm looking to get. Maybe recomendations on alternate components would be helpful.

Thanks!

This is my current gameplan for my new setup:

Receiver = Sony STRDN1030

Center Channel Speaker = Pioneer SP-C22

Tower Speakers (Front Left and Right) = Pioneer SP-FS52-LR

Rear Channel (L&R) = I'm going to use the front channel main speakers from my Onkyo HT540 HTIB as my rear channel speakers
Additional Rear Channel Speakers = I'm going to use two of of the rear channel speakers from my HT-540 Onkyo HTIB to fill out the remaining two channels of this 7.1 system.

Sub = Elemental Designs A5-350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-28-2013, 08:27 AM

Liked: 12
The only thing i can say is that I have NEVER seen someone recommend a Sony receiver. People are accepting of the ES line but thats about where most draw the line. For me I wouldn't buy it on principle, they state it pushes 145w per channel into 7 channels for an astounding output of 1015 WATTS!!! but if you look at the back of the receiver they show that it can only draw 240watts from the wall... maybe they got a little carried away. Its probably closer to about 50 watts per channel which is perfectly ok as long as you aren't trying to fill a huge room.

Besides that, those speakers look great and sound even better cool.gif

Now if you are still reading this I won't leave you hanging, Ill recommend some alternatives, I assume you want a network connected receiver? Accessories4less has some great deals on last years receivers. I would go http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR616/Onkyo-TX-NR616-7.2-Ch-THX-Certified-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html?c=sq#!more plenty of power and features biggrin.gif

post #3 of 4 Old 02-28-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply Nick!

I have been trying to decide between the Onkyo TX-NR 616, the Dennon AVR-1913 and the Sony STR-DN1030. Three weeks ago I never would have considered a Sony Receiver. But just about every professional electronics reviewer on the planet is giving this thing tons of praise. CNET labeled it thier reciever of the year for 2012. I currently have an Onkyo and really like it, but it has no HDMI so I need to upgrade. I really did consider the Onkyo TX-NR 616 because of it's great features, but there have been a ton of issues with that receiver line. Amazon actually stopped selling it because everyone was returning it. There is a disclaiminer on the amazon.com listing for the 616 now. I guess the video flickers and it just shuts off randomly. The firmware updates have actually made the problems worse.

My room is 19x14. I'm hoping to get a receiver that can fill that room. All the reviews on this sony say that it sounds powerful, so that is what I was hoping to achieve.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-28-2013, 08:37 PM

Liked: 12
Birdy I eat my words. After reading a few reviews of the Sony including a rather glowing one from Home Theater, I would say that will certainly fill your room. Those Pioneers aren't terribly efficient at 87dB but they are similar to the Mirage towers I have and I run through a Denon 1612 which measures lower than that Sony. I can certainly fill my room and even my neighbor's too.

Sounds like a good system! Enjoy!

Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page