Vizio, E420-A0 - AVS Forum
Home Theater In A Box > Vizio, E420-A0
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 09:08 AM 03-03-2013
Yesterday, from Costco, for $429.99, I purchased a Vizio, E420-A0, a 2-D version of the Vizio, E420D-A0, 3-D model. The purpose and intended usage of this unit is to be used in a home office, for general cable TV viewing. This unit will not be hooked up to a Blu-ray player. It will be hooked up to a Comcast, HD, cable box.

The purpose of the thread is to highlight the Vizio, E420-A0 for anybody considering this model based on the above stated usage; a general purpose television.

I have not opened the box yet, it's warming up as it sits in the living room so as to not have condensation issues.

The E420-A0 does not have 3-D, Wi-Fi and has 60Hz vs 120Hz refresh at a rate of 6ms, when compared to it's sibling, the E420D-A0. With state/local sales taxes, I picked the unit up at a local Chico, CA, Costco, with an extended 3yr refundable (Cost $30.00), in house repair, warranty, state/local taxes include, for <$500.00.

The unit has a full, LED back light, forty-two inch, LCD screen. One can go to vizio.com for specification.

The unit un-boxed nicely with only the base to attach and batteries to put into the remote control. Set up was intuitive as the first time turned on, automatically, the setup program came up, choose language and that was it. In the menu, switch to HDMI in and for video display, we used the standard, factory setting.

From there, it was off to cable, movie watching using Sennheiser, cordless headphones. So far, having used the television for about an hour of various programming, overall, for the price, I'm a happy camper.

More to be added as the usage continues but FYI, I'm not a picture, video kinda guy so I won't be including images with this review/report.

-

BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 09:10 AM 03-03-2013
Reserved, if needed.
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 10:59 AM 03-03-2013
I'm glad you got the extended warranty because Vizio has a pretty bad rep around here, at least as far as reliability, repairs, and customer support.
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 12:14 PM 03-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I'm glad you got the extended warranty because Vizio has a pretty bad rep around here, at least as far as reliability, repairs, and customer support.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I've been a Samsung fanboy for years but this was a spur-of-the-moment, tax refund, upgrade the home office television type upgrade and I had no information regarding Vizio's dependability factor.

We have always had excellent consumer based luck with all of our Samsung products and this is our first venture into the Vizio based product line.

Say hello to San Jose for us. Especially the Cambrian area; Hillsdale and Meridian. biggrin.gif

-
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 12:25 PM 03-03-2013
Don't get me wrong, you will find folks who have been really happy with their Vizio purchases and have had sets that were fine for a few years, but it seems that by and large they are "throw-away" tv's, meaning that if Vizio can't, or won't fix an issue, (which is not uncommon) they'll just replace it with a new set if still under warranty. Especially their smart tv's (smart tv's are a dumb idea imo) of which you don't have one. If this is not an important tv and used for just occasional viewing, then it may be fine. However, don't lose your Costco receipt.
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 02:27 PM 03-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Don't get me wrong, you will find folks who have been really happy with their Vizio purchases and have had sets that were fine for a few years, but it seems that by and large they are "throw-away" tv's, meaning that if Vizio can't, or won't fix an issue, (which is not uncommon) they'll just replace it with a new set if still under warranty. Especially their smart tv's (smart tv's are a dumb idea imo) of which you don't have one. If this is not an important tv and used for just occasional viewing, then it may be fine. However, don't lose your Costco receipt.

No worries on the receipt as the receipt, the warranty and the skimpy info setup booklet all get married together and go into the file drawer along with all the other information booklets. Doing it this way, all I have to remember is, "I put it somewhere." tongue.gif

-
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 03:21 PM 03-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

No worries on the receipt as the receipt, the warranty and the skimpy info setup booklet all get married together and go into the file drawer along with all the other information booklets. Doing it this way, all I have to remember is, "I put is somewhere." tongue.gif

Yep. I put my booklets and receipts for each device that I have in a big ziplock bag and then put that into the file cabinet. That way, all I have to do is go thru the various ziplock bags until I find what I'm looking for wink.gif.
mrdude's Avatar mrdude 07:05 PM 04-06-2013
Any more update on this tv? I have been thinking about this one myself. It would be primarily used for streaming tv shows and movies (mostly Netflix and amazon), but also for gaming on the wii. I saw the e420i-A0 at Walmart, and it looked pretty good there. I would probably be more interested in pairing up the model you got with a Roku or Apple TV though.
latenitec1's Avatar latenitec1 10:47 AM 11-09-2013
I guess he is still waiting for the set to warm up before he un-boxes it
Tags: Vizio E Series E420 A0 42 Inch Led Lit Hdtv
Up
Mobile  Desktop