Noob on home theater need help with settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-05-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So until recently I knew virtually nothing about home theater system. I did some research and was still left pretty confused, the technicality of it all just goes above my head. In either case, I brought a receiver, speakers and was given a sub. My SO was very hesitant about me buying all these things and I want to make sure that it works perfectly when I set it up. Right now everything is still in the box. Thus, I would gladly appreciate any recommendations on settings and such that I should change on my receiver when I set it up. Also, I can not afford to buy anything else and everything I brought was heavily discounted so returning it would given me minimal returns.

Thus let me give my setup, and layout of my room..

Right now I have
Pioneer VSX-51 open box no calibration mic (and def can't afford one lol) using a logitech 600 remote
Klipsch Quintet 4 speaker system, 1 center 4 surround
Polk Audio PSW250 subwoofer
Radio shack 16 gauge 50 ft wire

and a pic of my room

Again, I'm mostly concerned with settings that I should watch out for because really I don't know what i'm doing with db settings, hz, etc. But if someone has any suggestions on anything else I would very much appreciate it also.

and thank you for your help! much appreciated smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-05-2013, 11:52 PM

Liked: 11
If you really can't find the $30 for the setup mic to take advantage of that feature, I'd try to see if you know someone who can let you borrow one. Otherwise, you'll probably want to cross those speakers over at about 100hz or so. As far as the db settings, you shouldn't have to worry about it too much as all the speakers are from the same set with (I'm assuming) the same or very similar sensitivity.

That room seems far less then ideal for surround sound. What is the main viewing position?The ideal situation in that room, taking into account the closet and windows would be to move some things around and put the tv on the wall that has the door on it. If your bed is the main viewing position then you could place that on the opposite wall(under the window). Your rear surrounds should go on either side of that, and the front three speakers should be at ear level.

Maybe someone else can give you some more or better information, but I think you should be more worried about speaker placement than settings on your receiver.

Have fun!
post #3 of 10 Old 03-06-2013, 12:00 AM

Now that I think about it...

If you don't want to go through the trouble of running wire across the room and worrying a whole lot about placement, another option is to just set it up as a 3.1 system for now and save the surrounds for when you have a more suitable space. By doing this you would miss out on the "surround sound" part of it, but it would still sound amazing compared to any tv speaker and probably better than most soundbars.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by domanskipaul View Post

If you really can't find the $30 for the setup mic to take advantage of that feature, I'd try to see if you know someone who can let you borrow one. Otherwise, you'll probably want to cross those speakers over at about 100hz or so. As far as the db settings, you shouldn't have to worry about it too much as all the speakers are from the same set with (I'm assuming) the same or very similar sensitivity.

That room seems far less then ideal for surround sound. What is the main viewing position?The ideal situation in that room, taking into account the closet and windows would be to move some things around and put the tv on the wall that has the door on it. If your bed is the main viewing position then you could place that on the opposite wall(under the window). Your rear surrounds should go on either side of that, and the front three speakers should be at ear level.

Maybe someone else can give you some more or better information, but I think you should be more worried about speaker placement than settings on your receiver.

Have fun!

Yeah I was thinking the same exact thing about moving the TV but I really have to think about the process and consequences and process (tv against other room, rewiring cable box, how to move internet wires, etc)

Viewing position is either on bed, at very corner of the room when it's late at night or corner of bed/in that 4 foot area.

Also if I borrowed a setup mic would I be able to use any setup mic, as in are setup mics made for a specific brand/receiver, or can I just take any setup mic that anyone has.

I'll consider the 3.1 setup with slight dismay smile.gif

Thanks for the input!
post #5 of 10 Old 03-06-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

So trying to set it up now. connections are just confusing to me. which plugs on receiver do I use? I have front L/R, center, surround LR, Zone 2/back, front high/wide.. I'm assuming front l/r and center and right? Any settings I have to change on receiver so it knows it's a 3.1?
post #6 of 10 Old 03-06-2013, 03:48 PM

If you're trying out the 3.1 for now then all you have to worry about is Front L/R and center. As far as settings go, I've never had a pioneer receiver before so I'm not quite sure. If it's anything like my old Denon there should be an on screen setup to help you through it. I'd refer to the manual if you have it. All you have to do is make sure to set your left/right and center to "small" and the rest to "off" or "none". There should be some type of crossover setting for the subwoofer that I'd probably set at 100hz or so. If you don't have the manual I'm sure you can find a PDF online.
LittleBro8 likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-06-2013, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

woohoo so I setup everything myself.. and for a while nothing worked except the base and I got a little scared. Then I pressed the speakers button and all is well. now to figure out how to set 3.1 on this bad boy.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-06-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

I spoke to soon on the all is well lol. loud sound coming from center speaker and background noise is basically inaudible (have to put my ears up to l/r speakers to hear it)... trying to reset receiver to factory default since I brought it as open box but it says press receiver button which I can't figure out how to do on my logitech 600 remote (don't have original remote from receiver)... super sad.

reset the speaker without going into receiver menu but still no luck as voice is overwhelming all other noises by a lot.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-06-2013, 07:23 PM

are you sure you have the l/r plugged into the right outputs?
post #10 of 10 Old 03-06-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

yeah I am. When I change input to just stereo they work perfectly and double checked the back of receiver.... on the one hand it could just be the show i'm watching. I'm going to go to bed and try playing around some more tomorrow before my SO comes over and either gives the green light or bans me to the couch smile.gif

btw, thanks for all of your help. really appreciated!
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page