Looking for 5.1/7.1 suggestions ($500 or lower) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-08-2013, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To start, all my media is played from a HTPC and I plan to use my sound card instead of a receiver - the primary use is for TV&movies. My room is about 10 feet long and wide. A modest subwoofer should work, people live here who would be annoyed by house shattering bass frown.gif. I am not sure if I want 5.1 or 7.1, since I've never really experienced 7.1. I'm open to suggestions on either one. I would maybe prefer floor standing speakers, but that's not a requirement. Rears however would have to be on the wall if doing 7.1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-08-2013, 07:09 AM

Liked: 12
It might help us to know the model of sound card you plan to use.

In my experience it is not possible to connect a speaker directly to the sound card, (unless it is a self powered unit designed specifically to be used for a computer) you need an amp to give the speakers power as sound cards only output signals ( very low power electricity) If you are dead set on not using a receiver then you will need at the very least a multi channel amp or multiple single channel amps. So factor that into your budget as well.

Now for speakers if you act right now there is a very good sale going on at polk... (http://www.polkaudio.com/products/home-theater/floorstanding) you can get 2 TSi300s for the fronts and TSi 100s for the rears. Those 4 should be a tremendously good start. Then just wait for a center to go on sale or find one used to complete the set. This will be way way way way better than any satellite set with a subwoofer.

Ah the subwoofer... thought I forgot did you? No, if you are living with people who will be bothered by bass then skip the subwoofer until you have a place where you can let it go as loud as you want. Also those towers should supply some amount of bass so you wont be left with nothing...

Or if you really were just looking for the best 5.1 computer speakers in that price range, if you can find a Klipsch Promedia 5.1 system (looking through ebay only found 1 full set) that would be an ok solution compared to the polks.

post #3 of 11 Old 03-08-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_si View Post

It might help us to know the model of sound card you plan to use.

In my experience it is not possible to connect a speaker directly to the sound card, (unless it is a self powered unit designed specifically to be used for a computer) you need an amp to give the speakers power as sound cards only output signals ( very low power electricity) If you are dead set on not using a receiver then you will need at the very least a multi channel amp or multiple single channel amps. So factor that into your budget as well.

Now for speakers if you act right now there is a very good sale going on at polk... (http://www.polkaudio.com/products/home-theater/floorstanding) you can get 2 TSi300s for the fronts and TSi 100s for the rears. Those 4 should be a tremendously good start. Then just wait for a center to go on sale or find one used to complete the set. This will be way way way way better than any satellite set with a subwoofer.

Ah the subwoofer... thought I forgot did you? No, if you are living with people who will be bothered by bass then skip the subwoofer until you have a place where you can let it go as loud as you want. Also those towers should supply some amount of bass so you wont be left with nothing...

Or if you really were just looking for the best 5.1 computer speakers in that price range, if you can fintd a Klipsch Promedia 5.1 system (looking through ebay only found 1 full set) that would be an ok solution compared to the polks.

Thanks for the info. I don't know much about speakers so I thought my sound card would work fine for whatever (it's a Xonar DX).

I'd be willing to get a receiver if the setup will be greatly superior to any powered PC speakers in that price range. I could jump on the Polks now if I wanted ($320). That will certainly be putting me over budget when a sub/receiver/center is added to the mix, but I can live with that. I'll just have to wait an extra month to piece the rest of it together.

edit: I see the CS10 center channel on Amazon for $95. That's the correct speaker for the set, right? So I'm at $415 for all 5 speakers. How much extra am I looking at for a budget sub/receiver? I'll probably go with a used receiver, since I'm already pushing my budget here.

I'm not familiar with how passive speakers hook up at all, so correct me if I'm wrong here. Do all of the speakers simply go to the receiver with speaker wire? Then I assume I would run HDMI from the receiver to my PC's video card and voila? I hope it's as simple as I think.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-08-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artondrius View Post

I'm not familiar with how passive speakers hook up at all, so correct me if I'm wrong here. Do all of the speakers simply go to the receiver with speaker wire? Then I assume I would run HDMI from the receiver to my PC's video card and voila? I hope it's as simple as I think.

Yes you are correct, it is just that simple. Well you may not get sound and video from the HDMI on your video card... but if it is a built in video it might work. I only have experience with laptop HDMI and that does put out audio as well.

The CS10 is the matching center for that and 95 is a great price.

Budget for a used receiver is probably $125 or so... here is an example http://www.accessories4less.com//make-a-store/item/ONKHTRC330/Onkyo-HT-RC330-5.1-CHANNEL-HOME-THEATER-RECEIVER/1.html?c=sq

The receiver and speakers will be far greater than any computer speaker and I will tell you why. Computer speakers are designed to be "near field" or they are designed to be physically close to the listener. think about it most people put computer speakers on their desk then sit at that desk listening. so you sit not more than 5 feet away. Real speakers are designed to be listened to from further away. Also with a receiver you will be able to control the sound levels of each speaker to provide the best surround performance.

Its a bit like driving to the store in a toyota camry vs a Porsche. you will get there in both, but it will certainly be more enjoyable in the Porsche.

As for the sub like I said try it without but you can get a perfectly acceptable sub for $100

post #5 of 11 Old 03-08-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

I just realized Polk's site had 6 month financing, that helps me out a lot with the tight budget. I'll put the subwoofer aside for now and get one later.

Now my only task is finding a receiver! Thanks for the help.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-08-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

I could actually go up to around $250 max on the receiver, if that will make a difference. Polk's 6 month plan for the speakers loosened my budget a bit.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-08-2013, 05:49 PM

Ok I would say if you are internet savy you can probably find a good deal on a higher end but a little older used receiver on ebay or clist...

Many people say to spend twice as much on your speakers as your receiver. I have a Denon 1612 which is perfect for me... $200 on accessories4less, it has room correction and plenty of power, nothing fancy like streaming or anything but you dont need it if you have a HTPC.

post #8 of 11 Old 03-13-2013, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help, I think I'm finally done. This is everything I ended up with

Denon 1612 receiver ($200)
Polk TSi300 x2 ($210)
Polk TSi100 ($110)
Polk CS10 ($95)
Klipsch RW-12D Sub ($300)
Speaker wire/sub cable/hdmi cables: $50
Total: $965 shipped

Had to push my poor little credit limit to the brink, but whatever it will get paid off long before interest kicks in.

About the subwoofer, I mainly meant that I can't use it at night, During the day will be alright.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-13-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Thanks for all the help, I think I'm finally done. This is everything I ended up with

Denon 1612 receiver ($200)
Polk TSi300 x2 ($210)
Polk TSi100 ($110)
Polk CS10 ($95)
Klipsch RW-12D Sub ($300)
Speaker wire/sub cable/hdmi cables: $50
Total: $965 shipped

Had to push my poor little credit limit to the brink, but whatever it will get paid off long before interest kicks in.

About the subwoofer, I mainly meant that I can't use it at night, During the day will be alright.
not ot discouraged you, but if you can still return the Tsi300, you can get this instead with the same price with the promotion code that will ends tom.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290272

Panasonic 60VT60
Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
post #10 of 11 Old 03-14-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

not ot discouraged you, but if you can still return the Tsi300, you can get this instead with the same price with the promotion code that will ends tom.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290272

$210 was for 2 TSi300's, not each. It was on sale for $105 each.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-15-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

$210 was for 2 TSi300's, not each. It was on sale for $105 each.
i see.

Panasonic 60VT60
Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page