5.1 Channel Speaker System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2013, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please help me to get a entry level 5.1 Channel Speaker System. I will be using it 50% for music and 50% for movies and gaming.

I want to connect this system to my Sony Bravia KDL32EX520 which has optical out. So i will be needing a system having optical in. Should i go for Logitech Z5500 or Z906?

Connections Needed:
1. I will be streaming movies from my laptop via router connected to my TV.
2. Will be connecting my laptop directly to TV via HDMI
3. I need to connect my set tob box(not HD) to TV via RCA cable.

Will i get 5.1 channel audio from my optical out on TV in case 1,2 and stereo in case 3? That output goes to my 5.1 channel speaker system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 07:28 PM

Liked: 12
Hello! Welcome to the forums smile.gif

First a budget would be very helpful as entry level means different things to different people. My guess is you probably mean something in the 300-400 range.

The trouble is as you hinted at that not all TVs output 5.1 through the optical out except from OTA (cable from the wall). For case 1 this is why I personally am shy to smart TVs.

In case 2. you should run the HDMI from your computer into the receiver then a HDMI from the receiver to the TV. Let the receiver sort the inputs it is what it is designed to do.

Case 3 Same as case 2 run it in to the receiver and then to the TV same as before it is what the receiver is designed to do.

To start I am going to suggest you visit accessories4less and view their options. there are a few under 300 which include all the speakers.

We are all here to help smile.gif

Old 03-12-2013, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks Nick_Si smile.gif. Actually I am from India and prices here in India are much higher than in US. For example i was getting V473 for $248 but in India same model is for around $500.
In India my options would be either to go with Logitech Z5500 , Z906. Yamaha HTiB 196, Onkoyo HT-S3500, Denon 1312XP.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:39 PM

Liked: 12
Ok that is fine. The Denon is the only acceptable option here as if fills all the requirements you have is a real receiver unlike the two Logitech options, and has an active sub woofer for better bass and better future growth options. The Yamaha and the Onkyo both use passive subwoofers which are powered by the receiver rather than an independent amplifier for the sub. This allows you to attach any subwoofer to it in the future rather than having to stick with the one that came with the set.

I am sorry if that is the most expensive option tongue.gif