Looking for a 100% wireless Dolby 5.1 or 7.1 solution - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BiggAW
post #1 of 15 Old 03-21-2013, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For a variety of reasons that aren't really relevant for this discussion, I have decided that our next home theater system needs to be 100% wireless. The problem is that after some considerable searching, the only thing I have found has been a setup where only the rear speakers and/or sub is wireless.

The only thing I can come up with is to buy a cheap surround receiver, then connect a wireless transmitter to each of the receiver's speaker outputs. I would then have to hookup a wireless receiver to each speaker, and ensure each speaker is self-powered.

Any ideas for which speaker(s) and/or transmitter(s) would be best for this scenario?

Any alternative ideas (besides a wired solution)?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-21-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1540 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Good luck. Don't mean to be flippant about it but that's going to be tough to do satisfactorily for a 5.1/7.1 system ,especially the front sound stage (R/L/C).
post #3 of 15 Old 03-21-2013, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Don't believe you will find center, left and right wireless speakers.
Rear left and right and subs setups are plentiful and I love mine in my bedroom.

However just be aware they operate in the 2.4ghz range and so does most internet wi-fi
and other gadgets so just try to think ahead of what you might add later.

For my basement home theatre wires are the way to go but in a bedroom wireless
is cool and works great.

post #4 of 15 Old 03-23-2013, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 148
There are a few 5.1 fully-wireless surround systems but they are light-weight and use a sound bar for the front three.

If you want a beefier setup that uses a traditional receiver than active monitors plus a wireless transmitter/receiver for each speaker would be the best route -- for now. Problem with active speakers is that you will need a power receptacle close to each speaker location and there will be the problem of hiding the power cord if wall mounting. Most active speakers are designed for studio use and are called near-field monitors. They have a more focused sound and drop off quickly off-axis. Something like Audioengine or Emotiva active monitors might work since they aren't truly studio monitors but a compromise between near-field and far-field. I think stuff like KRK, Behringer, Adam, and Genelec would be too focused and precise for home theater use unless it is a small room. There has been some chatter on the Emotiva boards concerning using their powered monitors in a home theater setting.

Denon AVR X7200WA, Emotiva XPR-5, Emotiva XPA-7, Sony XBR 75" 850C, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra.
DefTech BP7000SC (L/R), CLR3000 (C), SM55 (FH), UIW BPZ/A (SB), UIW 75 (TM).
JBL L7 (Sur), EoSone RSR 350 (RH).

PC 2.1 setup. Emotiva Stealth 6, SVS SB16-Ultra sub, Emotiva DC-1 DAC.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-24-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Why would you want the front three wireless? The receiver should be right there? I seem to think that SONOS can do that, but it would cost a metric @$$load for a system that's not well suited to surround sound use, since they are made for music.
dandv likes this.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-24-2013, 07:09 PM

Liked: 12
unless you find a way to create a power cell in each speaker to power the wireless transmitter you are SOL cause there will always be a power source from the wall. Maybe if you are crafty with android programing and have 5 cell phones you could set those up and network them to run in 5.0 but it would sound like cell phones.

post #7 of 15 Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 711
A completely wireless surround system is impractical. They exist, but are you prepared to pay at least $3K for one?

This is the only one I know of:

http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/wireless-speakers/new-aperion-intimus-4t-summit-wireless-5-1-system (5.1)

http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/wireless-speakers/aperion-intimus-4t-summit-wireless-7-1-system (7.1)

A Sonos Playbar, 2 Play:3s for the rear, and a Sonos sub would also work, but you'd have a soundbar in front instead of discrete L/C/R channels.

desktop + headphone Sonus faber Toy monitor| REL T Zero| Sony UDA-1|Sony MDR-Z7|Sony MDR-1000X|Audioquest NightHawk|Audioquest DragonFly Red
ht Sony 65" A1E OLED | Monitor Audio Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1|SVS SB-2000|Sony STR-ZA5000ES|Sony UBP-X1000ES|Sonos Connect + Peachtree Audio DAC•iT|Panamax M-5100PM
stereo Sony 43" X800D|Sonus faber Toy tower|REL S/5|Teac UD-501|Sony TA-A1ES|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony ST-SA50ES|Sony UBP-X800|Sonos Connect|Furman Elite-15 PFi
post #8 of 15 Old 03-26-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

A completely wireless surround system is impractical. They exist, but are you prepared to pay at least $3K for one?

This is the only one I know of:

http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/wireless-speakers/new-aperion-intimus-4t-summit-wireless-5-1-system (5.1)

http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/wireless-speakers/aperion-intimus-4t-summit-wireless-7-1-system (7.1)

A Sonos Playbar, 2 Play:3s for the rear, and a Sonos sub would also work, but you'd have a soundbar in front instead of discrete L/C/R channels.

If you're really looking at an absurdly expensive setup that doesn't perform well for surround sound, can you do a 3-5-3 for the front soundstage?
post #9 of 15 Old 05-25-2013, 10:49 PM

Aperion is no longer carrying the wireless systems but the remaining stock is being sold at an extreme discount.
The reviews for the aperion system have been excellent:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/aperion-audio-intimus-4t-summit-wireless-video
http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/07/reviews_fetish_surroundsound/
http://www.hometheater.com/content/aperion-intimus-4t-summit-home-theater-system

You can find the remaining stock here:
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ele/3812919150.html
contact number for the seller is:503 479-5551

It is a great price considering you get top notch speakers and an included receiver unit.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-26-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1540 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Don't know. Maybe as a secondary system but I'd be a bit leery about using it for my primary HTS. Cost, the vagaries of wireless technology, repairability down the road should it need to be repaired, etc. Why is the stock being sold out at discount? Is there a newer version coming out or did it just not catch on and Aperion is cutting it's losses?
post #11 of 15 Old 05-27-2013, 08:21 PM

From my understanding is that it just didn't catch on. I agree on the repairability front, but for most electronics repairability is limited anyway. But definitely buyer beware.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-13-2014, 03:38 AM

Hi,

I searched on this and found your post :-) Its 2014 now, so i guess it should have improved a bit on the products side. Did u find any good system?

I guess some problems must be lag, when u try drive 7+1 speakers!?

Regards,

Bjorn

post #13 of 15 Old 03-27-2017, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
2017-March update

I was also looking for a wireless 5.1 system other than Sonos (I don't like their closed ecosystem, and I've read it's optimized for music, not movies).

So far, I've found a bunch of Bluetooth/Wi-Fi speakers that can be configured in stereo pairs, but no 5.1 configurations - aside from the upcoming Riva WAND Arena with a USB dongle slated for Sep 2017.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-28-2017, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I believe the solution I am using can be tweaked to provide a lot of answers. It is a long cut and paste of a review of the trond units I have: This long review sets out how I used two bluetooth v4.1 transmitter/receivers with two 3.5mm bluetooth v4.2 audio receiver adapters (4 units total) to get truly wireless sound so I go into specifics of all the components I used. It is really long because I plan on re-posting this in several forums as far as I know no one has done this. Throughout the review I have used the long product names so that you can actually find what I used.

In terms of the trond products they are great the key to my solution was aptx ll (which is why you need both a transmitter and receiver). I have the units about 20 feet apart and I get a clear signal and the latency is extremely low/NOT NOTICEABLE especially when paired with corrected receiver settings (more details below). You can run two complete setups (4 units total) with no interference. Pairing is excellent and I have had no dropouts. I couldn't be happier and trond support while not knowing if my solution would work were honest in letting me know they had no idea if my solution would work.

My detailed setup (with tax this solution was over $700 Canadian ($130 trond units/$520 speakers/$55 powerbanks/$40 speaker stands/$20 connectors) so definitely not cheap but truly wireless ZERO WIRES and the 5.1 field is very impressive),

YOU NEED TWO OF EVERYTHING! (this is just the one channel- you would need the exact same stuff for the other surround sound channel)

Marantz receiver (not included in the cost obviously) pre out (if you don't have preouts on your receiver you could possibly use a line out converter- something I thought of while working this solution).

I am running the line out to a FosPower Y adapter 1 RCA (Male) to 2 RCA (Female) Stereo Audio Adapter Cable ($10ish dollars)- you need this cable to run out the mono out and split it so it can connect the RCA to stereo cable included with the trond (it also amplifies the pre-out signal 4db at the line level which is key because it allows your rear speakers to play significantly louder).

You then connect those cables to the trond transmitter that you have paired to the trond receiver. I just followed the pairing instructions included with the trond units but I would suggest taking the units away from all other Bluetooth sources including turning off the Bluetooth on your phone. Once they are initially paired they stay paired and I had no issues with interference/switching sources.

At the front end I have the trond receivers plugged into usb wall plugs (so I guess I do have wires but you need to run your receiver off of something- if you needed to you could use a powerbank like I do for the rear speakers). You will want to use wall plugs or a powerbank as when plugged into a computer usb outlet I did pick up some hum.

At the rear end I have the trond receiver plugged into a Bose soundlink mini ii via aux (why I chose the bose it is at the end of the review) and plugged into a 20,000 mah aukey powerbank (I choose it because it was cheap and a good form factor so really any high capacity powerbank will do). I have them mounted on Boost industries WB-1134 ultra grip clamping speaker wall brackets (I chose these because they looked like they would work and were cheap- I highly recommend them, the build quality is great and they are half the price of others- but if something else looks good go for them).

Receiver settings- most receivers will let you set speaker distances my marantz has my fronts set at 14 feet away (because they are) but I set the rears to 34 feet away (when they are actually only 9 feet away- I am limited by my receiver to the channels only having 20 feet of distance between them). By setting the rears 25 feet farther away my receiver processes the rear channels approximately 21 milliseconds faster than the signal actually needs to be. As aptx ll delay is 40ms I have been able to reduce the overall delay to 20ish ms (1 second equals 1,000 ms). As films are 24 FPS you are seeing a frame every 41 ms as a result obviously there is zero noticeable delay as my rear audio is HALF a frame late. I would suggest you check your receiver settings to see what you can specifically do with it.

Balancing sound- I have Golden Ear 3d array X for my LCR speakers, I am running the Bose speakers 13DB higher to achieve balanced sound (confirmed through phone DB meter). I have no problems achieving balanced sound up to 85DB with the rears configured like this- although that was just for a brief period of testing as I watch my movies generally around 70DB when I want full blown sound.

Bose soundlink mini ii- I thought there would be lots of speaker options but it turns out there were few that met my criteria which you will want to keep in mind.
1. Play loud enough without distortion
2. Can be charged via USB- this is key to having a truly wireless system
3. Are a traditional front firing speaker (lots of the portable speaker options are designed to produce a 360 degree sound field.
4. Don't have an auto off feature (or is the case with the bose the auto off can be turned off).

In terms of battery life- the trond units use very little/negligible power compared to the wireless speaker. I honestly need to do WAY more testing before giving an accurate time estimate on the bose speakers but I can say that they sip power when on but not playing a signal (I have the tronds on ready to work and the bose on but just the receiver off and obviously not using power). So far the figures I am getting is that I can have the bose powered on for the whole week and watch roughly 40 hours of tv/movies before the aukey and bose is drained. Changing the battery once a week is a small price to pay for 5.1 PLEASE TAKE THESE ESTIMATES WITH A HUGE GRAIN OF SALT as I do need to test further. I will say based on what I have been seeing these are conservative estimates.

Yes this solution is expensive. If you can run wires obviously do it- you would have way better speaker options and no battery packs so it is 100% better option. If you can run power plugs to your rear speakers and your only issue is not wiring speaker cable, you once again have a ton more options with several of the speaker companies offering "wireless" options. Although I would consider the trond solution even in that scenario since it only cost me $130 for the transmitters/receivers and you could just plug them into any powered speaker that has an aux in.

Will update with long term thoughts.
post #15 of 15 Unread Today, 04:55 PM

Liked: 0
Why not try the Enclave Audio Cinehome HD? My review just went up today in this forum. Sorry, I'm new enough that I can't put in links.

Put in the AVS forum home address with this after it.

/forum/109-home-theater-box/2380274-enclave-audio.html#post53713481
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater In A Box