Looking for a 100% wireless Dolby 5.1 or 7.1 solution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-21-2013, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For a variety of reasons that aren't really relevant for this discussion, I have decided that our next home theater system needs to be 100% wireless. The problem is that after some considerable searching, the only thing I have found has been a setup where only the rear speakers and/or sub is wireless.

The only thing I can come up with is to buy a cheap surround receiver, then connect a wireless transmitter to each of the receiver's speaker outputs. I would then have to hookup a wireless receiver to each speaker, and ensure each speaker is self-powered.

Any ideas for which speaker(s) and/or transmitter(s) would be best for this scenario?

Any alternative ideas (besides a wired solution)?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-21-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Good luck. Don't mean to be flippant about it but that's going to be tough to do satisfactorily for a 5.1/7.1 system ,especially the front sound stage (R/L/C).
post #3 of 12 Old 03-21-2013, 01:46 PM

Liked: 20
Don't believe you will find center, left and right wireless speakers.
Rear left and right and subs setups are plentiful and I love mine in my bedroom.

However just be aware they operate in the 2.4ghz range and so does most internet wi-fi
and other gadgets so just try to think ahead of what you might add later.

For my basement home theatre wires are the way to go but in a bedroom wireless
is cool and works great.
post #4 of 12 Old 03-23-2013, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 52
There are a few 5.1 fully-wireless surround systems but they are light-weight and use a sound bar for the front three.

If you want a beefier setup that uses a traditional receiver than active monitors plus a wireless transmitter/receiver for each speaker would be the best route -- for now. Problem with active speakers is that you will need a power receptacle close to each speaker location and there will be the problem of hiding the power cord if wall mounting. Most active speakers are designed for studio use and are called near-field monitors. They have a more focused sound and drop off quickly off-axis. Something like Audioengine or Emotiva active monitors might work since they aren't truly studio monitors but a compromise between near-field and far-field. I think stuff like KRK, Behringer, Adam, and Genelec would be too focused and precise for home theater use unless it is a small room. There has been some chatter on the Emotiva boards concerning using their powered monitors in a home theater setting.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #5 of 12 Old 03-24-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Why would you want the front three wireless? The receiver should be right there? I seem to think that SONOS can do that, but it would cost a metric @$$load for a system that's not well suited to surround sound use, since they are made for music.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-24-2013, 07:09 PM

Liked: 12
unless you find a way to create a power cell in each speaker to power the wireless transmitter you are SOL cause there will always be a power source from the wall. Maybe if you are crafty with android programing and have 5 cell phones you could set those up and network them to run in 5.0 but it would sound like cell phones.

post #7 of 12 Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 83
A completely wireless surround system is impractical. They exist, but are you prepared to pay at least $3K for one?

This is the only one I know of:

http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/wireless-speakers/new-aperion-intimus-4t-summit-wireless-5-1-system (5.1)

http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/wireless-speakers/aperion-intimus-4t-summit-wireless-7-1-system (7.1)

A Sonos Playbar, 2 Play:3s for the rear, and a Sonos sub would also work, but you'd have a soundbar in front instead of discrete L/C/R channels.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #8 of 12 Old 03-26-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

A completely wireless surround system is impractical. They exist, but are you prepared to pay at least $3K for one?

This is the only one I know of:

http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/wireless-speakers/new-aperion-intimus-4t-summit-wireless-5-1-system (5.1)

http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/wireless-speakers/aperion-intimus-4t-summit-wireless-7-1-system (7.1)

A Sonos Playbar, 2 Play:3s for the rear, and a Sonos sub would also work, but you'd have a soundbar in front instead of discrete L/C/R channels.

If you're really looking at an absurdly expensive setup that doesn't perform well for surround sound, can you do a 3-5-3 for the front soundstage?
post #9 of 12 Old 05-25-2013, 10:49 PM

Aperion is no longer carrying the wireless systems but the remaining stock is being sold at an extreme discount.
The reviews for the aperion system have been excellent:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/aperion-audio-intimus-4t-summit-wireless-video
http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/07/reviews_fetish_surroundsound/
http://www.hometheater.com/content/aperion-intimus-4t-summit-home-theater-system

You can find the remaining stock here:
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ele/3812919150.html
contact number for the seller is:503 479-5551

It is a great price considering you get top notch speakers and an included receiver unit.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-26-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Don't know. Maybe as a secondary system but I'd be a bit leery about using it for my primary HTS. Cost, the vagaries of wireless technology, repairability down the road should it need to be repaired, etc. Why is the stock being sold out at discount? Is there a newer version coming out or did it just not catch on and Aperion is cutting it's losses?
post #11 of 12 Old 05-27-2013, 08:21 PM

From my understanding is that it just didn't catch on. I agree on the repairability front, but for most electronics repairability is limited anyway. But definitely buyer beware.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-13-2014, 03:38 AM

Hi,

I searched on this and found your post :-) Its 2014 now, so i guess it should have improved a bit on the products side. Did u find any good system?

I guess some problems must be lag, when u try drive 7+1 speakers!?

Regards,

Bjorn

Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page