Onkyo HT-S6200 & Samsung HDTV Remote/Shutdown Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having a weird problem with my TV turning off my receiver and I've never programmed the TV's remote to do this. I contacted Samsung about this issue because I was wondering if there is a way to reset my remote but according to them my model remote doesn't have a reset function.

My current setup is as follows:

1. Samsung '58 Plasma HDTV Model #: PN58C550G1FXZA
2. Onkyo HT-S6200 HTIB 7.1
3. PS3 Slim

All devices are connected via HDMI. I made sure that the Anynet+ feature of the TV is turned off. I use to have AT&T U-Verse DVR and its remote was programmed to control TV and Receiver but I've cut cable and removed the DVR, etc. The TV remote or the Onkyo remote were never programmed to control anything. I have already followed the instructions in my Onkyo manual to reset the remote and AV receiver just to make sure it's all back to factory defaults.

I recently signed up for the PSN Plus membership which has this auto start/shutdown feature for PS3 when it comes to updating games, downloading patches, etc. I started to notice that this auto update feature wasn't working for the PSN Plus & PS3, so I suspected it was the way the remotes were configured because it doesn't allow my PS3 to turn on by itself, patch itself, then turn off.

So, now I want to turn this feature off and I can't keep the TV from controlling my Onkyo receiver.

If I turn my TV on it turns on the receiver. If I turn my receiver on it doesn't come on at all unless I turn on the TV first. If the TV is on but the receiver is off/standby and then I turn off my TV it will still turn the receiver completely off, so no more standby either. If I have my PS3 on and turn my TV off, it shuts the PS3 down as well as the receiver.

I just want it to go back to defaults where each device is controlled by it's own remote and nothing turns anything else off.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance.

- ACAST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-06-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
I'd first check to see if you have HDMI (RIHD) control in your hardware set up in your AVRs menu.

Enable it if it's not, disable it if it is.

If that doesn't work, try contacting Sony to show you how to lose the PSN membership.

Hope that works.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #3 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure why you replied both via private message and the forum but here goes. To answer your question about the Sony PSN Plus membership setting...yes I already know how to do this within my PS3 so that's not a problem as far as enabling it or not...I do want it enabled just don't want the TV to control my other devices the way it's doing because I believe that's the problem and why the PS3 doesn't turn on its own as it should.

As for the RIHD feature within the Onkyo, I'm going to check on that and try it out. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for replying either way smile.gif
post #4 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Your welcome!

I replied here as well hoping to fish for more responses from other members that might have other ideas.

It looks like that plan failed.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #5 of 10 Old 04-09-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks anyway but remember I did post here first before reaching out to you via a private message because no one assisted with this. Thanks for trying anyway, but as I've said in my last reply to the private message...I'm done with this and just going to live with it until I upgrade my TV in the future.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-09-2013, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelC2 View Post

I do want it enabled just don't want the TV to control my other devices the way it's doing because I believe that's the problem and why the PS3 doesn't turn on its own as it should.

As for the RIHD feature within the Onkyo, I'm going to check on that and try it out. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for replying either way smile.gif

Hi AngelC2, curious if you try using the other HDMI inputs on the tv or try a different HDTV (if one is available)?. If one is not available, try doing a factory reset on the tv. Another note is when turning off or on HDMI-CEC feature (AnyNet+, RIHD, PS3 HDMI Control), it may require you to turn off and back on the components to take affect.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-10-2013, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

JChin,

First of all, thanks for replying...I never thought anyone else would try and help smile.gif

I'm not really sure I understand your question regarding "try using the other HDMI inputs on the TV"? Are you saying to try and connect the HDMI cable coming from my receiver into a different HDMI port on the back of the TV?

I do have another HDTV but it's downstairs and there is no way I'm carrying that thing upstairs just to try this out...LOL. I didn't think about doing a factory reset on the TV since my only thought was to reset the remote and that feature wasn't available. I'm going to look into that and see if there is a way to reset the TV to factory settings...that I would think is something that should be available...thanks for that tip.

As for the HDMI-CEC feature, ok I hear ya...disable then turn device off and on...I believe I've already tried this but I'll try it again to make sure I've done it correctly. It's a bit confusing with this feature since every device calls it something different. For example, my TV has AnyNet+, RIHD is on my Onkyo receiver, and HDMI-CEC/Control is on my PS3. They were all disabled when I first checked them, so maybe I'll enable and then turn off and on the device...do this for all 3 devices, then reverse it and disable them again...worth a try I guess.

I'll work on this and let you know what happens.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-10-2013, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I found out how to reset my TV back to factory defaults but it's still a no go, the problem still exists. I can't believe this is happening...I mean it's crazy that my Onkyo receiver does not turn on when I use its remote...it only turns on when the TV is turned on first...freaking crazy!

I'm going to see about resetting my Onkyo receiver back to factory defaults to see if that helps any.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-11-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

I figured it out!!! smile.gif

I found out that to do a hard reset on the receiver all you do is unplug its inputs and power it off by unplugging the power cord completely off the wall outlet for about an hour...as I was about to do this, I said to myself...let me unplug it from the Monster Surge Protector and plug it directly into the wall outlet to remove the surge protector as a possible issue. The reason for that is that all my devices were plugged into the "controlled" outlets because the surge protector I have saves you energy by shutting down devices even on standby to avoid wasting the "Phantom Energy" that devices waste even when they are powered off.

As soon as I did that, I was able to turn on the receiver using its remote without a problem. I then did the same thing for the TV and it also worked to where it did not shut off the receiver when I turned it off. Next was the PS3 and sure enough it stayed on even after turning off the TV...so the mystery is over...it was the actual surge protector controlled outlets that was causing the problem, so all devices were turning off after the main one turned off which is where the TV was plugged into.

I plugged all my devices into the non-controlled outlets and all is good now with each device coming on and off with it's own remote and not controlling anything for any other device.

Now, I'm going to test the PSN Plus auto update feature to make sure the PS3 does turn on by itself, patches itself, then turns off as it should.

Thanks for all the help...eventually the different ideas on this thread is what got me thinking about this which led to the resolution.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-11-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelC2 View Post

I figured it out!!! smile.gif

I found out that to do a hard reset on the receiver all you do is unplug its inputs and power it off by unplugging the power cord completely off the wall outlet for about an hour...as I was about to do this, I said to myself...let me unplug it from the Monster Surge Protector and plug it directly into the wall outlet to remove the surge protector as a possible issue. The reason for that is that all my devices were plugged into the "controlled" outlets because the surge protector I have saves you energy by shutting down devices even on standby to avoid wasting the "Phantom Energy" that devices waste even when they are powered off.

Thanks for all the help...eventually the different ideas on this thread is what got me thinking about this which led to the resolution.

Haha, that was my next suggestion if you have one, glad you got it going neighbor.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page