post #1 of 83 Old 03-25-2013, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have the following setup in my living room:

TV: Samsung UN55ES7500
HTIB: Yamaha YHT-397BL
Devices: PS3, Time Warner Cable Box (Samsung), Apple TV2.
HDMI Cables: Redmere from Monoprice
Speaker Wires: 16AWG

I have all devices connected to the HTIB receiver thru HDMI 1,2 and 3 inputs and the HDMI output going to the Samsung TV's HDMI2(ARC). The setup is using ARC so no need for optical cable.

The issue I am having is with the Yamaha receiver. When I turn the receiver and tv on to watch cable, the input on the receiver shows HDMI1 (where the cable is connected), but after a few seconds it automatically switches to show source as 'Tv' AV1-4 and the sound stops coming. I need to hit HDMI 1 on the yamaha remote one more time to get the sound working again. This pretty much happens every time I turn the tv on.

Does anyone else experience the same problem? What's the solution to this? I have the tv mounted on top of a fireplace so I am avoiding running any more wires than I need to to the TV.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old 03-25-2013, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Go into the menu find HDMI control and turn to off this should fix your issue. Do be aware you may need to enable this again to use smart functions on tv and have audio through your Yamaha.
post #3 of 83 Old 03-25-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response but I am not sure that it going to work. The HDMI Control needs to be 'On' in order to use the 'ARC' feature.
post #4 of 83 Old 03-25-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
If you need ARC for audio from the TV's smart apps, you are likely stuck with this problem. The alternative is turning CEC off and using an optical cable from TV to AVR.
post #5 of 83 Old 03-25-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Why are you using ARC? You say you have all of your sources connected to the HTIB. What audio are you feeding from the TV to the receiver?
post #6 of 83 Old 03-25-2013, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
I just bought this HTIB recently and just finished installing it. My setup is Samsung TV, PS3, and Directv DVR. I'm going to hook the PS3/Blu-ray straight into the Receiver via HDMI and going to buy digital coaxial cable for Directv DVR to Receiver. You may ask why not just hook the DVR with HDMI as well but I'd rather not watch everything "TV" related through the sound system and just turn it on when I'm watching a movie in DD/5.1 Surround and turn it off while I watch the news/sports as I would with a Blu-Ray or Video Games. Does anyone know if this setup will work with this system, PS3-HDMI in/out receiver and digital coax from dvr to receiver with seperate HDMI from DVR to TV? Directv Genie does not have optical for sound, just digital coax.
post #7 of 83 Old 03-25-2013, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Why are you using ARC? You say you have all of your sources connected to the HTIB. What audio are you feeding from the TV to the receiver?
The only thing I have going from the TV to the HTIB is the Monoprice Redmere cable (source end at HTIB and display end of Hdmi cable at TV). My tv is on top of a fireplace so I am avoiding running an extra cable. Everything works fine except for that initial switch at startup.
post #8 of 83 Old 03-25-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

I just bought this HTIB recently and just finished installing it. My setup is Samsung TV, PS3, and Directv DVR. I'm going to hook the PS3/Blu-ray straight into the Receiver via HDMI and going to buy digital coaxial cable for Directv DVR to Receiver. You may ask why not just hook the DVR with HDMI as well but I'd rather not watch everything "TV" related through the sound system and just turn it on when I'm watching a movie in DD/5.1 Surround and turn it off while I watch the news/sports as I would with a Blu-Ray or Video Games. Does anyone know if this setup will work with this system, PS3-HDMI in/out receiver and digital coax from dvr to receiver with seperate HDMI from DVR to TV? Directv Genie does not have optical for sound, just digital coax.
^ Yes, that will work just fine with a coax cable for audio from the DVR. A good remote would help with switching inputs.

btw, if your AVR supports HDMI Stand-by Passthrough, you may be able run the DVR through the receiver and still just use the TV speakers. Personally, I always use the sound system because it always sounds better than the TV speakers.
post #9 of 83 Old 03-25-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhyder View Post

Quote:

The only thing I have going from the TV to the HTIB is the Monoprice Redmere cable (source end at HTIB and display end of Hdmi cable at TV). My tv is on top of a fireplace so I am avoiding running an extra cable. Everything works fine except for that initial switch at startup.
The Audio Return Channel is used to feed sound back from the TV to the receiver over the same HDMI cable that feeds picture and sound from the AVR to the TV. From your description, you have no sources acquired by the TV. All of your audio sources are already connected to the AVR. So, there's no need for ARC and no need for an optical cable.

The problem you are having is likely caused by HDMI CEC, which you don't need to use since you don't need to use ARC. So, turn off CEC and your your problem will be solved.
post #10 of 83 Old 03-25-2013, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^ Yes, that will work just fine with a coax cable for audio from the DVR. A good remote would help with switching inputs.

btw, if your AVR supports HDMI Stand-by Passthrough, you may be able run the DVR through the receiver and still just use the TV speakers. Personally, I always use the sound system because it always sounds better than the TV speakers.

I'm relatively new to the sound game. I'm coming from a 2.1 Samsung Soundbar w/ Active Sub. It doesn't really say anything about HDMI Standby Passthrough. Here's what I have...
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hometheater-systems/home-theater-package/yht-397/?mode=model
post #11 of 83 Old 03-25-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

The link doesn't say anything about Standby Passthrough. So, just go ahead with the wiring plan you already have. Standby Passthrough can be a bit flaky anyway.
post #12 of 83 Old 03-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The link doesn't say anything about Standby Passthrough. So, just go ahead with the wiring plan you already have. Standby Passthrough can be a bit flaky anyway.

Thanks.
post #13 of 83 Old 03-25-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The Audio Return Channel is used to feed sound back from the TV to the receiver over the same HDMI cable that feeds picture and sound from the AVR to the TV. From your description, you have no sources acquired by the TV. All of your audio sources are already connected to the AVR. So, there's no need for ARC and no need for an optical cable.

The problem you are having is likely caused by HDMI CEC, which you don't need to use since you don't need to use ARC. So, turn off CEC and your your problem will be solved.

The problem is when I turn the ARC off, the sound on Samsung TV's Smart Hub doesn't work.
post #14 of 83 Old 03-25-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, so you DO need to feed audio from the TV to the receiver. You might have answered that question when I asked it. frown.gif

HDMI CEC can be flaky, as you have already discovered. If you don't want to run an optical cable to the TV, you may to live with the problem. Do you have any of the Samsung apps on another device like your PS3 and ATV? Maybe you can turn off CEC and only turn it back on when you need it.
post #15 of 83 Old 03-26-2013, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

yeah, so i played with the tv and receiver settings a bit more... on the tv, if i turn the hdmi-cec off, it's the same thing as turning the 'hdmi control' off on the receiver. either way i do it, it fixes the problem of the tv switching to 'tv' with no sound, but on the flip side i need to use different remotes for volume and loose sound on the smart hub. i guess this is an issue that i have to live with. i wish yamaha would fix this problem on their receivers. thanks for all the help.
post #16 of 83 Old 03-26-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

It's not just Yamaha. HDMI CEC is a bit flaky with lots of manufacturers and equipment combinations.

A Harmony remote works way better than HDMI control for powering devices on and off and switching inputs. Press one button and everything you need starts up. All eight of our remotes are in a drawer and we just use the Harmony.

What apps are you running on the TV that are not available on your ATV or PS3?
post #17 of 83 Old 03-26-2013, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

yeah i have a harmony 650 that i use with my other tv setup in the bedroom (sony 46" with a sony 5.1 htib). i might turn the hdmi-cec off on the samsung tv and start using the universal remote to see if that meets the need. i don't really use anything from the smarthub so can live with no sound being there. i just wanted universal audio control from any remote which i think the universal remote will solve.
post #18 of 83 Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

is it better to turn the 'hdmi control' off from the yamaha receiver or turn the 'hdmi-cec' off from the samsung tv? is one better than the other?
post #19 of 83 Old 03-26-2013, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Where should I place the YPAO Mic? The sweet-spot on the couch at ear-level or just in the middle of the room at ear-level?
post #20 of 83 Old 03-26-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

my couch is in the center of the room and that is the sweet spot, so i just calibrated it there with the level next to my ear. in your case, i would put it at the sweet spot instead of the center of the room.
post #21 of 83 Old 03-26-2013, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

When watching Blu-ray movies and Netflix Movies in 5.1 what setting does everyone use on the YHT 397, Standard or Straight?
post #22 of 83 Old 03-26-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

good question, i noticed my 'Straight' setting for cable was only using the front and center speaker. i keep it on 'Adventure' or 'Drama' for now. When i play on the ps3, its is on 'Game'. would like to know what everyone else generally use....
post #23 of 83 Old 03-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhyder View Post

good question, i noticed my 'Straight' setting for cable was only using the front and center speaker. i keep it on 'Adventure' or 'Drama' for now. When i play on the ps3, its is on 'Game'. would like to know what everyone else generally use....

Maybe the show(s) you're watching isn't presented in 5.1 DD.? I haven't calibrated my speakers yet but I've noticed the that explosions and just general action sounds amazing but it's soooo much louder but the dialog is not as loud. It's still audible but clearly not as defined. Also, my sub is set at 5, (0-10), and it seems like it's also too loud. Could all of this be because I haven't used the YPAO Mic to calibrate yet? My PS3/Blu-Ray is set at Linear PCM connected to receiver via HDMI and so on. Receiver is set to Standard. So far I've watched 10 minutes of Argo and a few 5.1 DD Plus movies on Netflix.
post #24 of 83 Old 03-26-2013, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

You should run YPAO.
post #25 of 83 Old 03-27-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

you are correct. the regular hd show's on cable now show up with 5.1 under 'Straight'. so the system adjust automatically based on content.

here's another update. it took me about an hour but i was able to setup my logitech harmony 650 with all my devices. i have the activities button's setup to watch either cable, apple tv (xbmc ftw!), or play ps3. hdmi-cec is turned off on the samsung tv. so i don't get sound on the smarthub, but don't really care since i never use it. but everything else runs smooth as butter! thanks for all the help! i just use one remote now to control everything instead of 5

so do i even need to connect my tv to hdmi2/arc with the 'arc on' on the yamaha receiver or does the sound still work if i have the tv on hdmi1 and the receiver have arc off? i don't want to go back in circles again, but if this works then what is the point of having arc? lol
post #26 of 83 Old 03-27-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

You can turn off CEC and use any HDMI port.

Most receivers are designed to adjust to whatever audio format the source device sends. You can also tell them what additional processing you want to apply to each type of audio. For example, if you tell your AVR to use PLII with stereo sources, then TV programs with DD 5.1 tracks will get processed that way while shows sent in stereo will automatically be expanded to 5.1 using PLII.
post #27 of 83 Old 03-27-2013, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

very interesting. i haven't reached that level of detail where i understand what PLI, PLII, DolbyDigital etc all mean... is there something you can share that explains this?
post #28 of 83 Old 03-27-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

ProLogic is the original Dolby surround sound system used in theaters and on VHS tapes. It was a method of folding a center channel and mono surround into a stereo signal where the decoder can extract them back out on playback.

PLII came along later, producing stereo surrounds and a sub channel from a stereo input.

PLIIx and PLIIz add rears and heights in systems with more speakers.

DTS had its own versions called Neo:6 and Neo:x.

You'll find versions from other companies, too.

They all are designed to intelligently expand the number of output channels when the source has fewer channels than the playback system. A stereo transmission can be transformed into a fairly good 5.1 output with a center channel for dialog and appropriate sound in the surrounds.
post #29 of 83 Old 03-27-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the info. so...... what's the best option to choose when watching cable and what's the best one to watch movies (bluray)? as mentioned before, the current setting for cable is 'straight' and for ps3 call of duty (that's all i play) is 'adventure game'.
post #30 of 83 Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

It's all personal preference. Straight seems right for 5.1 sources as you hear the track as it was mixed. You can't apply most surround modes to 5.1 sources anyway since they are already 5.1.

I use PLII Music mode with stereo sources. But, there's nothing wrong if you prefer some other surround mode.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page