Help Problem with Hd Audio through HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-26-2013, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok Here is my setup

HTPC - Intel HD Graphics 3000 HDMI out to TV (PC)
NVidia GeForce GT 520 HDMI out to HOme Theater

Home Theater - Panasonic BTT-370 hooked up to blu-ray input on TV (HDMI)

tv mITSUBISHI wd-65837 - Audio Output to HTIB is only Rca Cords (I KNOW)

When I play audio regardless of input on TV +

PC has SPDIF out

HTIB has SPDIF IN

TV Has The orange Digital Audio output

My Main concern is Sound from PC to HTIB, but if there was a reliable converter from Optical to digital, i would also look at that

My Questiuon is why does both of my HDMI Connections show 2 channel max output in stereo, instead of 5.1 on at least the connection from PC to HTIB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-26-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 390
To get 5.1 channels over a digital S/PDIF connection, either optical or coax, the source player (your PC in this case) must provide the audio encoded as either Dolby Digital or DTS. If the computer is outputting the audio as PCM, S/PDIF can only transport a two-channel (stereo) signal.

To transport multichannel PCM, you have to use the computer's HDMI connection, which can provide up to 7.1 channels. You also have to install the latest drivers from Nvidia and enable the HDMI audio output in the audio "Playback devices" menu.

Connect the computer's HDMI output to one of the two HDMI inputs on the back of your HTIB. Connect the HTIB's HDMI output to the TV. Power up the TV and then the HTIB and finally boot the computer. Both TV and HTIB have to be powered up for the HDMI output to appear in the computer's audio "Playback devices" menu.

Selden
post #3 of 8 Old 03-26-2013, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If the computer is outputting the audio as PCM

Is there a way to change this????
Quote:
To transport multichannel PCM, you have to use the computer's HDMI connection, which can provide up to 7.1 channels. You also have to install the latest drivers from Nvidia and enable the HDMI audio output in the audio "Playback devices" menu.

I have enabed it in playback devices and I have the latest drivers, I also connect it currently this way.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aevans0001 View Post

Quote:
If the computer is outputting the audio as PCM

Is there a way to change this????
I don't know what you're asking. There's no way to change the S/PDIF standard (stereo PCM, multichannel lossy). The type of audio output your computer generates is determined by whatever player software you use.
Quote:
Quote:

I have enabed it in playback devices and I have the latest drivers, I also connect it currently this way.

I'm not sure what else you're asking. Don't forget to select the Configure button and select the appropriate HDMI output format in the configuration menu. It should provide severl options, from stereo to full 7.1. Normally 7.1 is appropriate, so that the receiver can down-convert to fewer channels and apply bass management, although sometimes selecting "stereo" is necessary for source material that provides only two channels of audio in a 7.1 container.

Selden
post #5 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

I don't know what you're asking. There's no way to change the S/PDIF standard (stereo PCM, multichannel lossy). The type of audio output your computer generates is determined by whatever player software you use.
I'm not sure what else you're asking. Don't forget to select the Configure button and select the appropriate HDMI output format in the configuration menu. It should provide severl options, from stereo to full 7.1. Normally 7.1 is appropriate, so that the receiver can down-convert to fewer channels and apply bass management, although sometimes selecting "stereo" is necessary for source material that provides only two channels of audio in a 7.1 container.

This is exactly what I am talking about. In the configure menu it only allows Stereo, there are no other options. I messed around with it again yesterday and now it seems to work properly again..... Although still only showing stereo. I first ran xbmc and tested it there and it seems to be working there... Then I moved onto Media Player. Then to Chrome (which was not working when I originally wrote this thread), now working. Not sure what fixed it or why it got fixed, but fixed is fixed... Thanks for your help....
post #6 of 8 Old 03-28-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

You're welcome, I guess smile.gif

FWIW, some people in the REW thread have reported that their laptops only show stereo in the HDMI audio configuration, while others have several options, including all eight channels available. It isn't obvious to me what might be causing the limitation. I think it could be either the EDID provided by the receiver or the HDMI hardware (or its driver) in the computer. (My Dell laptop with Nvidia graphics shows up to 8 channels available in its DisplayPort/HDMI connection to a Marantz receiver.)

Selden
post #7 of 8 Old 03-28-2013, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Yes this was "kinda" my issue..

One of my HDMI connections showed 2 channels.
One showed up to 7.1, then I reseated my Graphics card and then it only showed 2 channels, just like my internal card.

Still shows 2 but plays 5.1 out of 5.1. Although on the THX audio test it only tests 5, the subwoofer does not play when it is tested, but during movie it does work.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-29-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

If you haven't already, you might try it with and without the TV powered on or cabled to the receiver. Its EDID might be overriding the receiver's. Most TVs only support stereo.

Note that this is just to find out if it's the problem. Obviously you want to be able to watch things on the display!

Selden
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page