Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-28-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

First time posting so please go easy on me smile.gif

So the YHT is on it way to my house as we speak.

I have already looked at the installation manual and everything seem to be simple.

Here is the run down:

PS3 HDMI to Receiver HDMI

DVD/ Blu Ray HDMI to Receiver HDMI

Receiver HDMI out and Optical to TV HDMI and Optical (TV have no hdmi arc)

My biggest question is there anyway I can still watch tv (over the air), play ps3 or watch a dvd through the tv speaker without turning on or using the theater system?

Often time, I would play ps3 or watch a movie late at night... so I wanted to keep the volume down so I won't wake up the whole house. biggrin.gif

Thanks,

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-28-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Watching OTA TV is no problem.

Does the receiver have a feature called HDMI standby pass through? That allows you to feed signals through the receiver when it it's off (in standby mode).

If not, you will need to either change the receiver set up whenever you want to use the TV speakers or run separate video and audio connections from each device directly to the TV that you would use for late night viewing. It may be as simple as muting the sound system and turning up the TV volume.

But, simply turning down the volume, especially on the sub, may do the trick. Your receiver may also have a night mode setting designed to emphasize dialog over effects that could also be helpful.
John16v likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Watching OTA TV is no problem.

Does the receiver have a feature called HDMI standby pass through? That allows you to feed signals through the receiver when it it's off (in standby mode).

If not, you will need to either change the receiver set up whenever you want to use the TV speakers or run separate video and audio connections from each device directly to the TV that you would use for late night viewing. It may be as simple as muting the sound system and turning up the TV volume.

But, simply turning down the volume, especially on the sub, may do the trick. Your receiver may also have a night mode setting designed to emphasize dialog over effects that could also be helpful.

Just got mine answer from Justin:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465071/please-help-issue-with-my-yamaha-yht-397-setup/30

Seem that the YHT395 does not have the HDMI standby pass through.

Guess, I will have to plug the ps3 hdmi to the tv hdmi and use either a/v or optical to the receiver itself when needed.
post #4 of 12 Old 03-28-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

You won't get lossless audio from the PS3 that way.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-28-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You won't get lossless audio from the PS3 that way.

Lossless? I'm not familiar with that term in the audio/ video world?wink.gif
post #6 of 12 Old 03-28-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Multichannel movie soundtracks are very large, too large to fit on movie film strips or DVDs. In order to provide 5.1 audio, the soundtrack must be compressed so that it will fit on the distribution media. DD 5.1 and DTS were developed for just that purpose. With DVDs, the soundtracks have to be compressed so much that some of the material removed cannot be restored. Those codecs are called "lossy" because some of the original data is lost.

Blu-rays have more room and two new compression codecs have been developed to take advantage of the extra space. TrueHD and DTS-HS Master Audio are called "lossless" codecs because they use less compression and every bit of data removed in the compression step is restored in the decompression step. You get an exact copy of the original soundtrack.

Lossless codecs cannot be sent over optical connections. They require HDMI. So, if you use HDMI to connect your PS3 to your TV and an optical connection to feed sound to your receiver, you will be limited to lossy DD 5.1 and DTS. Now, truth be told, it's not that big a deal in terms of audio quality. But, it's something you should consider when deciding how to wire your system together.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-28-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Blu-rays have more room and two new compression codecs have been developed to take advantage of the extra space. TrueHD and DTS-HS Master Audio are called "lossless" codecs because they use less compression and every bit of data removed in the compression step is restored in the decompression step. You get an exact copy of the original soundtrack.

Lossless codecs cannot be sent over optical connections. They require HDMI. So, if you use HDMI to connect your PS3 to your TV and an optical connection to feed sound to your receiver, you will be limited to lossy DD 5.1 and DTS. Now, truth be told, it's not that big a deal in terms of audio quality. But, it's something you should consider when deciding how to wire your system together.

Wow....thank-you very much for clarifying that for a noob wink.gif

I'll play around with the wiring and if the optical thing don't work out, I'll just leave it alone.

Thanks smile.gif
post #8 of 12 Old 03-28-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Been on vacation for awhile so I just saw your post. I have the YHT-395 so if there are questions that BIslander can't answer (which is unlikely smile.gif) I may be able to help.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-29-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Been on vacation for awhile so I just saw your post. I have the YHT-395 so if there are questions that BIslander can't answer (which is unlikely smile.gif) I may be able to help.

Blslander, answered all of mine critical questions....biggrin.gif

Now you, Otto wink.gif since you too have a YHT 395, care to share how you set your HTIB up? Did you connect everything through HDMI? smile.gif
post #10 of 12 Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by John16v View Post

Blslander, answered all of mine critical questions....biggrin.gif

Now you, Otto wink.gif since you too have a YHT 395, care to share how you set your HTIB up? Did you connect everything through HDMI? smile.gif

My setup is simple so here it is:

1. blu-ray player is connected to HDMI 1

2. AppleTV2 is connected to HDMI 2

3. HDMI out goes to the HDMI input 1 of the tv

4. Television is OTA only so the antenna coax is connected to the ANT/Cable input of the tv

5. Optical out from the tv to optical in of the receiver.

All HDMI cables are Certified High Speed HMDI (MediaBridge). The receiver is setup for Straight so that no audio (or video for that matter) is processed. IOW, no changes or enhancements are made to the audio/video stream. It is all "natural" for want of a better term.

The optical cable is used so that I can listen to discrete 5.1 from television when broadcast. The tv speakers are always kept off so that any audio source is always played thru the receiver when the appropriate input is selected. I use a Harmony remote (880) to single-button select what I want to do. Pushing the Watch TV button for example turns on the receiver and selects the correct receiver input so that I can watch tv and use the remote to change channels, adjust the volume, etc. I don't use any of the audio formats like Theater, Movie,etc because I don't like artificial enhancements.

Speaker wire is 2-wire, ribbed, 16AWG. I actually used heater cord wire which was about $0.16 per foot that I bought at our local hardware store. The speakers aren't the best in the world but they work quite nicely for what they are and will give you nice audio until you upgrade them. Speakers are set to 8 ohms and my wire run for the side speakers is under 35' so 16AWG works just fine. Speakers are set to Small and the x-over for the sub is set to 110Hz. You can never depend on the stated frequency response as being accurate because you don't know how those ranges are determined (anechoic chamber, etc) so I bumped up the x-over to catch the lower frequencies accurately. That also has the added benefit of taking some of the load off of the satellites for producing the lower frequencies (which requires more power) resulting in a better dynamic range (response) for the sats. But, your ear is the best judge of that. I also raised the sub about 2 inches off of the carpet to give it a little cleaner sound.

The satellites ( front R/L and side R/L) are on speaker stands and are set to a height that is just above ear level when sitting on the couch. The front R/L are 8' apart and the sides are about 14' apart, 3' from either side of the couch which is about 10' from the front sound stage. The center channel is directly underneath the tv which sits on a media console.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-29-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Otto,

Impressive!

Thank-you, thank-you wink.gif
post #12 of 12 Old 03-29-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member