Help - Denon DHT-591BA HTiB as my first home theater audio system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-28-2013, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi folks,

I'm new here, and the AVS forum seems like a great place. I would appreciate recommendations for or against the Denon DHT-591BA HTiB. This has:
  • 1.4a HDMI Blu-Ray 3D pass-through (I like the fact that it seems like a new design)
  • Audyssey’s MultEQ dynamic room acoustic correction system with microphone
  • Boston Acoustics 5.1 speakers

As for my situation, we have a 55" 3D LED 1080p LG TV that looks great (and was a great deal at $800 with free shipping), but its speakers are real tinny.

It's just the wife and I always in the same place: 10 feet from the TV on a couch; our heads maybe 4 feet apart. We go out to entertain, so we don't have to worry about any other audio situations (a.k.a. visitors will have to suffer through bad surround sound smile.gif. So the system does not have to do much. Also, we are not the types to crank it up until the walls shake. We might have it "loud", but not to the point of shaking stuff.

Our budget is low. To put it into perspective, we only just now moved to HDTV after having a 28" since 1996. I got tired of always being way behind the technology curve with a good budget deal which then lasts forever. :P I focussed on getting the TV and have been a bit shocked that audio is a whole nother adventure in and of itself, needing some real dollars, apparently. I've found the above system for $300, refurbished.

I like the fact that the 591 has Audyssey. And I imagine it can have its speakers replaced. Probably the woofer would be the first to be replaced - maybe in 17 years, like for our previous TV. smile.gif

For what it's worth, saving energy is important to me. It's my understanding that 1) most amps use about 80W even when quiet/headphones, and 2) they have Auto Standby, like this one. Feedback on power-saving features or lack thereof, are also appreciated.

Any comments welcomed!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-28-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Denon products are good and its HTIBs are built around a real receiver, meaning speakers can be upgraded down the road if you want. So, I think the one you've selected will work just fine for you.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-28-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 381
I've had the 591 receiver for 3 years now. Its great. I use different speakers though.

I doubt you're buying it new since it has been around so long. Are you looking refurb at accessories4less?

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENDHT591BA/DENON-DHT-591BA-5.1-Home-Theater-System-w/Boston-Acoustic-Speakers/1.html

Afro GT
post #4 of 5 Old 03-30-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Thanks muchly, folks!

But - oh blah, the refurbished ones at Accessories4Less are sold out and it will be a while before they have any more...

Would anyone have any other ideas? Same general price point and functionality?

I'll consider building a system too, if the total price point is the same and it's not much hassle to get all the 5.1 pieces.

Thanks again, BIslander and Afro GT!

Mike
post #5 of 5 Old 03-31-2013, 08:16 AM

Liked: 12
AC4less will probably never get a 591 in again as they are discontinued... I would go with a 1612 (has audyssey) and then find some speakers to fill out the rest of the budget. Obviously you wont get a lot of speaker for 100 but you could probably find a pair of used bookshelves for that on the bay or the list. Then piece it together from there. Think of it as an adventure!

Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page