Best setup for under $1,000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-28-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New guy here! We've decided to retire our old hand-me-down 5.1 home theater system...well thanks to the dog it was only a 3.1 there towards the end anyhow. We have a new Sharp 60" LED TV and use a PS3 for Netflix and Blu-ray movies. We’re trying to put together the best system possible for under $1,000. Not sure if we should go the “Home Theater in a Box" route or buy a receiver and a surround sound system separately. Wireless rear speakers would be nice do to the aforementioned dog....but not necessarily mandatory.

Thanks so much for the help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-28-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

The Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 system looks pretty good. Found it online for $450. Is this a good setup? What receiver would yall recommend for it?
post #3 of 10 Old 04-04-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Wow this forum completely sucks. I'm a newb and asked a basic question a week ago looking for some simple guidance. Over 90 folks have viewed my thread and I haven't received a single reply. I've never had this kind of experience on a forum before.
post #4 of 10 Old 04-04-2013, 07:23 PM

Liked: 12
Skwerlee, I think the reason that no one replied is that this very question has been answered dozens of times. If you search for your title you will see other threads that have been discussed at length.

You will get the best sound if you build your own system.

This is how these threads go...

Someone will recommend a receiver, then someone will tell you to match the features you want with an available receiver as "they all sound/perform the same under 500". Someone else will tell you to budget twice as much for speakers as electronics. Then someone (maybe me cause I say this a lot) will say that you should go and listen to as many speakers as you can stand because there is no "best speaker" there aren't even definitely good speakers. Take those Def Techs for example I wouldn't pick them up off the side of the road let alone buy them but some people swear by them. No one can tell you if you will like the sound of a speaker. Its like telling you you will like this shirt cuz it's fancy and expensive.

At this point people might start recommending speakers, the pioneers by Andrew Jones, The Bic america series, some polks that are on sale or some klipsch maybe. Undoubtedly someone will suggest you up your budget and you probably will.

I apologize for the attitude and tone but I'm having a bad day. But through the attitude there is helpful info.

Now if your head is spinning and I'm guessing it is because this isn't a simple process you should go to best buy and buy a HTiB for $1000 and either set it up yourself or pay your son/daughter/niece/nephew/kid down the street who is good with this kind of thing to do it for you.

Please don't expect forums to do your bidding with a lame question... we are all people and we need intrigue. I myself start threads that get tons of views and no responses too. It's not the forum, it's my topics cuz some topics are interesting and the activity shows that.

post #5 of 10 Old 04-05-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Nick,
Thank you for your reply I appreciate the info! I may be new to this forum however I’m very active on some other forums so I understand how things work. I know all about the search police so I ran some searches before I posted. Unfortunately my searches yielded older threads and I was concerned that it was just outdated information. I know that piecing together a surround sound system is definitely more ideal but I was just curious to see if there were some box systems that were pretty good for the Average Joe.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-05-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 126
When it comes to HTIBs, look at Onkyo, Denon, and Yamaha. It's important to select one built around a real receiver so that you can upgrade the speakers and the sub down the road.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-08-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

When it comes to HTIBs, look at Onkyo, Denon, and Yamaha. It's important to select one built around a real receiver so that you can upgrade the speakers and the sub down the road.

great thanks for the tip!
post #8 of 10 Old 04-08-2013, 03:43 PM

Even better than that look for a system that uses a real speaker brand for the speakers, not just the same brand as the electronics... For example Onkyo only ever makes speakers for its box sets, but Pioneer makes speakers elsewhere... Denon is under the same company as Boston Acoustics (a real speaker company) so they use those in their box sets. Also don't rule out some pre made 5.1 kits from some of the more notable online only manufactures such as SVS or HSU,.... thats all i have off the top of my head...

Skwerlee I think even an "average joe" would see the benefit from a better set of speakers. wink.gif

post #9 of 10 Old 04-08-2013, 03:46 PM

Also I apologize for my earlier post... it really was a bad day. I had received an ebay win of a NAD C370 (120w/channel) and I opened the box and the chassis of the thing was all rusted frown.gif

Not an reason for the 'tude tho. Sorry

post #10 of 10 Old 04-30-2013, 04:57 PM

I'm exactly in the same place that skwerlee is. And I understand Nick_si but there should be something more to say than what has been said.

If somebody comes to me to ask what is the best camera they can get for 500, I will say one thing, for 1,000 i will say another thing and so it will be for 5,000 and 20,000. The brand will change, the specs will change because some brands nailed it better with price/performarce combinations than others at different market levels.

Of course somebody will come and say, hey dud go shoot with all cameras and see which one you like, but there are all sorts of problems in that. 1. not all cameras are available to shoot in all places. 2. that will consume a large amount of time, and time is money. 3 shooting one camera is one thing, but then the combination of camera, lens, software, etc...

Although we can all do that, the purpose of a forum is save time/money using community experience. I really hope someone can post more specific information.

Thanks.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page