Samsung HT-E5500W // Listen to TV Speakers with DirecTV Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-04-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an approx. 2005 model Sony TV with only one HDMI input. I have a DirecTV HD DVR, and I just purchased and hooked up the Samsumg HT-E5500W HTIB. Due to the location of my tv and having very small children I need to stash the front speakers most of the time when not in use. I'd like to use the TV speakers when using the DirecTV receiver for video, but having the option to use the HTIB speakers would be good also.

My current setup has DirecTV HDMI out to HTIB, and then HDMI out from the HTIB to the TV. I am currnetly only able to hear the TV sound through the HTIB speakers. I've tried adjusting the setting on the HTIB to output audio to TV speakers, but when I exit out and go back to view satelltie TV the sound comes through the HTIB speakers again.

If I add an Optical Audio cable from the DirecTV receiver to the TV will that solve my issue? If so, is that the best / highest quality way to solve my issue? Will I be able to then easily switch back and forth between using TV speakers and HTIB speakers?

Thanks for any help and input.
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-05-2013, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 127
You have that backwards. TVs don't have optical inputs, just an output. I suggest you run HDMI from the set top box to the TV and optical from the set top box to the HTIB. When you want surround sound, mute the TV audio and turn on the HTIB.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-05-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

The problem with that is that I only have the one HDMI input on the back of the TV, so I'd have nowhere to put the HDMI from the HTIB. Is there any other way around this seeing as I only have the 1 HDMI input on the TV?

Thanks for the reply.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-05-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

There should be a way to send audio through the HTIB, although you seem to be having a problem making that work. The manual shows a setting for audio output to a TV. What happens when you make that selection?

You could always get an HDMI switch to share that single input on your TV. I use one for four devices and it works perfectly every time.

Or, if the satellite box and tv have component video connections, you could use them as a second hookup when you don't want to user the HTIB.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-10-2013, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Nothing has worked so far to get the audio to play through the TV when watching video from the satellite receiver. My next step will be to get an HDMI switch and see if that works. I sitll can't figure out why I can't get audio out of the TV speakers right now no matter what I try.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-10-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

What are the connections and what have you tried?
post #7 of 7 Old 04-10-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

My current setup has DirecTV HDMI out to HTIB, and then HDMI out from the HTIB to the TV. My TV only has 1 HDMI input so that's where most of my issues are coming in. I bought an optical cable before realizing that the optical on the tv is an out not an in, so no go there.

There's an internal setting on the HTIB to send audio to TV speakers, but once I select it and then go back to HDMI1 to watch tv, the sound comes from the HTIB speakers. I can go right back intot that same setting and it shows audio output to home theater speakers, so it's defaulting back for some reason.

I was hoping to figure out a way to do this without spending the extra money on an HDMI switch, but if not it looks like there's a decent one on Amazon for $11.

Thanks for the help.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page