$400ish receiver + speakers solution? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-10-2013, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, first time poster, long time reader.

I came across http://moofi.woot.com/offers/onkyo-7-1ch-3d-ready-home-theater-system-3
Onkyo HT-S8409 7.1-Channel 3D Ready Network Home Theater System (Open Box)
for $430 and thought I'd like to give it a try. Before pulling the trigger on something like this, I thought I'd like to get the experts' opinion on it all first smile.gif

I'd really like to maximize my bang for the buck in a purchase like this so here are some more details.
42" plasma TV
medium size room
dvd player
no blu-ray player
xbox 360
will not listen to music

As an expert in the pc industry, i know i can maximize my budget by building from scratch, so i'm looking for options for separate components. i have no problems wiring/rewiring/whatever so please, let me know what you'd do if you had $400ish to spend to set up your best friend with a receiver and surround sound speakers smile.gif 99% of my usage will be from cable television and xbox. Thanks!
chilly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-10-2013, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Looks like a good deal to me as long as all the speakers and the receiver,TX-NR609 are there.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-10-2013, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

surprised no substantive replies in a day frown.gif thought this was an active forum
edit: and it's sold out :\

any recommendations for around $400ish for receiver/speaker package or components? thanks smile.gif
post #4 of 6 Old 04-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Yes, check out accessories4less.com . They have the one you were looking at plus a bunch more of the HTiB systems.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-11-2013, 09:42 AM

Liked: 12
Chilly,

Please be patient with us and our slow response. Sometimes the people who answer most of the "what should I get for $____" threads aren't on everyday.

Your search should be easier than most as you will not be listening to music on your setup. this really allows you to "get away with" small speakers and a sub.

As you said you are looking for the best bang for the buck and not nessicarily ease of shopping or assembly. I would become a speaker hunter. Crawl craigslist, forum classifieds and the like to find an older 5.0 set that is a little used but still performs sonically strong. then get a BIC sub for around 200 and thump away smile.gif

Before I would do that I would go to best buy or another large electronics store and try out a few speaker brands. This will give you a general direction to move in, such as do you like a horn loaded tweeter (klipsch, I don't personally so I know not to look for klipsch gear), Many people like this setup especially for HT.

For a receiver, I would go in the $200 range and make sure it comes with room correction, and a subwoofer preout (LFE). Onkyo Pioneer Denon, or a used one again. I saw a 23xx series Denon with HDMI for just over 200 buy it now a while back. That's a lot of receiver for that money.

post #6 of 6 Old 04-11-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys!
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page