Poor Bass in Music with my Onkyo HT-S9405 THX HTIB system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-17-2013, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had read the excellent reviews mostly for the Onkyo HT-S9405 THX HTIB system that includes the HT-R990 receiver which is an almost clone of the highly rated Onkyo TX-NR609 Receiver and decided to take the plunge and got home one.

I had followed the manual to the letter while setting the system up and had the Audessey 2EQ Setup done and I must admit, that watching Blu-rays has been an amazing experience and the low frequencies in BluRay movies are amazing and floor shaking thanks to the massive sub.

However, the same can't be said about the music when playing through DLNA or via the USB. It sounds flat and the bass is severly lacking. I am no audiophile but I do appreciate high quality music. I have my music ripped as mostly FLACs and other older 320 Kbps mp3. The music sounds punchy and awesome on my Logitech PC speakers but totally bland, dull and lack lustre on my Onkyo. So far no body has been impressed after listening to the music on my HT-S9405 THX and I have played with all the built-in eq settings for music and the only saving grace is when I turn up the bass settings all the way up to +10 on my AVR. The Sub has its loudness now set to the THX setting and I haven't changed anything on it.

Any advice from the experts and enthusiasts out there would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-20-2013, 03:35 AM

Liked: 12
I don't really know the answer to this... But I suffer from the same problem. Except my receiver is the denon 1612. Great bass and music on a blue ray movie but not with a CD. My solution to this was a NAD C370 which sounds very good w music.

post #3 of 6 Old 04-22-2013, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts Nick. I had also contacted Onkyo in this regard but no response so far. The alternate solution for me was to manually tweak the EQ settings for Front Left and Right Speakers and setting the speakers to Stereo Mode. On one hand music sounds acceptable but again TV shows, adverts and movies sound distorted. So not entirely happy with the solution. How did you set up your NAD? Does it drives the same speakers via your AVR or is it a completely different set-up?
post #4 of 6 Old 04-25-2013, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Though I am not a bass junkie and most of my music collection is not heavily bass driven, but the abrupt lack of bass was definitely not what I had expected when I listened to my tracks on Onkyo. To all others who are facing a similar problem, I am thinking that it is mostly the Audessey 2EQ that kinds of flattens bass in music. Perhaps Audessey set-up is more Puritan in its pursuit for optimizing the system and makes music sound as it should have been in the first place. My music that I had been listening lately so far was mostly on the Dynaudio Stereo in my car and Logitech PC speakers which definitely made the music sound punchy at the touch of a button.

However when I had disabled Audessey on my AV receiver and had manually tweaked the equalizer curves for my front speakers, I was able to get more or less the same thump in my music that was missing. But again, this makes me think whether it was my listening habits so far or maybe the Audessey optimized settings will grow on me overtime.

As I had previously stated earlier, movies do sound awesome without any muddy or distorted bass when I enable Audessey EQ, so I must conclude that it does its job well while tuning the AVR for movies & Hi-Def audio. It's just that at the moment I had turned if off and set the AVR mode to Stereo and I am a happy listener again cool.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 04-25-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
What cross over do you have set for your speakers and are they set to small or large?

Shawn
post #6 of 6 Old 09-20-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

To everyone who has a similar problem like mine with weak or intermittent bass on music and stereo sources, the culprit turned out to be the sub's cable.

I had setup everything correctly by the book including running the Audessey setup and still was experiencing weak, intermittent andlousy bass.
I tried all equalizer settings but none seemed to help. Finally decided to check the cables all over again.
Lo and behold, awesome bass in music again as soon as i rotated the subwoofer cable.

Looks like there was a break in the cable near the plug and lifting the cable at an angle caused correct bass output. Replaced the cable with a regular 10€ cable from Amazon and it is now sounding as it should.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page