Surround sound center and surround-left aren't producing any sound. ONKYO HT-S3200 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-12-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My parents got a ONKYO HT-S3200 in 2009 around Christmas and they aren't sure if the center speaker _ever_ had sound, and they only recently hooked up the surround left and surround right - of which only the surround right is producing sound.

I cannot get them to produce sound even during the level correction (it should play some white noise and let you adjust from -12db to 12db for each speaker, but on the center and surround left no sound comes out at all.)

I have tried every setting I can think of, and none seem to matter, EQ's are off, the speakers are set to "small" instead of "none" or "large" so they should be enabled, and I've made sure the speakers themselves work by connecting the LEFT speaker wiring up to them, and each time they produce sound. I've tried different speaker wire as well, and nothing changes it.

Is there anything I am missing that could be causing this? Unfortunately they are out of warranty and I'm not really sure what to do about it - I will call tomorrow to see how much it would cost to get it serviced but I'm hoping to not have to go that route.

Any help / ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-13-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
If the center doesn't work try hooking it up to the amp where the front left speaker goes. If the center speaker works while hooked up to the left front speaker terminals in the amp then you know the speaker is good and the amp has bad channels. Vise versa take a speaker that works and hook it up to the center speaker connections on the receiver and if it doesn't work you know the amp is bad.

Shawn
post #3 of 9 Old 05-13-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

I did that - it's the amp that is not outputting anything on the center channel. I don't know what to do to fix it or if I even can, and will have to send it in to get it serviced though :/
post #4 of 9 Old 05-13-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Well sorry to hear that.... I would say that system has bit the dust and time to look for another one.

If you or your parents were to buy a new system what would the budget be?

Shawn
post #5 of 9 Old 05-13-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Servicing this would be impractical? Right now the budget wouldn't be high enough to warrant another system :/
post #6 of 9 Old 05-13-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

The MSRP on the 3200 back in 2009 was $379. With all the new tech that has come out I don't think it would be worth spending any money on that system. You could check out what it would cost to fix it if you want.... If you keep watch on newegg.com you can find HTIB's from Onkyo fairly cheap. For under $500 you can get a 7.1 system with a powered sub and an receiver with HDMI inputs and outputs and the new audio formats found on Blu-ray (DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD).

Shawn
post #7 of 9 Old 05-16-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by john9 View Post

Servicing this would be impractical? Right now the budget wouldn't be high enough to warrant another system :/

My guess it that it would cost you over $100 to get the receiver fixed.

You can buy a Denon or Onkyo refurb receiver with a 1 year warranty for $120-130.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1312/DENON-AVR-1312-5.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTRC330/Onkyo-HT-RC330-5.1-CHANNEL-HOME-THEATER-RECEIVER/1.html

The problem is that your 3200 system does not use a powered subwoofer and its difficult to find a receiver with speaker level sub outputs.

Afro GT
post #8 of 9 Old 05-16-2013, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the links and information, can you tell me what to look for to ensure it has speaker level sub outputs? Thanks again!
post #9 of 9 Old 05-16-2013, 10:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Look on the back of the receiver.

If the subwoofer output uses two spring clips then it is a speaker level output and the receiver provides the power to the subwoofer.

if the subwoofer output is a RCA jack then you need a powered sub

There really is no upgrade path for a receiver with speaker level sub outputs. A powered subwoofer is always the better way to go because it takes a load off the receiver to produce the low frequencies.

Afro GT
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page