Sony DAV S500 - left speaker keeps cutting out/going to low volume - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-26-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
- its not the cable, its not the speaker itself, the issue seems to be with the amp. The problem is with the left front speaker. I've tryied to swap speakers, cables, u name it. The problem remains always on the front-left speaker, so I'm sure it has nothing to do with the speaker it self or with the cables. It must be internal.

it just keeps cutting out, sometimes after 2 seconds, sometimes after a minute. it either cuts out, or goes to very very low volume. I reach my fingers to the back of the amp and fiddle with the sockets and use force and push them in, and the sound will come back, but again for only 2 seconds - 1 minute.

This seems to me that its related with a bad connection within the unit.

other people have had exact same issue as me with this dav s500, the advise they've been given is to check the 'cold solder' on the boards.
any ideas what i should be checking?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-05-2013, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
THIS IS HOW TO FIX THE LEFT SPEAKER dav s500 (this title is for google searchers):

oh man ,you are a luky guy, i have the same problem since 5 days ago , and i found the solution

the problem is the thermal paste you have to change the white termal paste of the last speaker

that section of the dvd on your picture the one you zoom in , take it out and next you will have to do the herculean task of removing
the 6 heat disipators , then with alittle alcohol clean the old thermal paste , put new one , assemble all the stuff and thats it

its short to explain but it will take you at lest one hour to do that , _(it took me 5 hours to figure that out).

good luck and be gentle with the heat dissipators you will have to bend them to reach the screws correctly unless you have a long screwdriver.

when you finish send me an email.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-13-2014, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the post!

Just did all the steps you said and you were not wrong, what a job!

All seems to be working at the moment, playing some music nice and loud to make sure its all working and haven't had the problem for an hour so...

Thanks again! What a legend!

post #4 of 5 Old 03-13-2014, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terentius View Post

Thanks for the post!

Just did all the steps you said and you were not wrong, what a job!

All seems to be working at the moment, playing some music nice and loud to make sure its all working and haven't had the problem for an hour so...

Thanks again! What a legend!

hi, which ones are the heat dissipators that i need to remove, is it the red circle or the yellow circle? thanks
LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
post #5 of 5 Old 03-13-2014, 05:44 PM

The metal things in the red circle are the heat dissipators or heat sinks as there called in computing. Its hard work to do. The chips will have to be bent slightly for you to get the correct angle with a screw driver. Just be careful.

The green bar that runs along the top of them, i removed. By bending part of each heat sink with some pliers, releasing the green bar.

Then i just unscrewed two screws from each heat sink, cleaned all the thermal paste with some alcoholoc wipes. Then re-applied some new thermal paste. I found it easier to remove the whole circuit board they were connected to to avoid breaking anything. While i was there i checked the under neath of that circuit board for any poorly applied solder as i read this could also be the problem. This was mentioned by you i believe as "cold solder".

All in all it took me about 2 hours of careful work, not 100% on what i was doing so not too bad :D

Well worth it in the long run, mines been running all night music and games through my pc and not a problem.

If all else fails you could try bidding on this if your from the UK?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-DAV-S500-5-1-Channel-Home-Cinema-DVD-System-Head-Unit-Only-/251471857604?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_HomeCinemaSystems&hash=item3a8ce407c4

Other then that the only other thing i could suggest is me taking a look at it for you if you was local?

Hope i helped!

Terentius

Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page