Please help me build a system! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-28-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have the Bose Lifestyle 28 and need to upgrade because my receiver doesn't have HDMI.

I am looking at purchasing the new Sony DN1040 (4k, wifi, 3d etc...) but I have no idea what to do about the speakers and sub. I really wanted to go with the Bose Acoustimass 10 BECAUSE I already have my speaker wires ran through the walls and up to the top four corners of the room (and I have the mounting brackets installed there too). The setup looks very clean... It would be a simple swap if I got the Acoustimass 10...

I have read about how bad Bose is and I am starting to become swayed... but I still want something where I can mount the speakers up to the top four corners of the room and still have it look good.

I am looking to spend around $2,000 or less total, and considering the price of the amp is $600... I need all 5 speakers and the sub to be around $1,400. (Unless there is just something significantly better for not much more.

Just a couple of names I have heard thrown around are KEF KHT 3000 series, B&W Mini Theatre, Klipsch G-12.

I really don't know much about home audio but I am trying to educate myself. What do you guys think would be a good avenue for me?

I hope I have given enough information to get some good feedback. Also my room is about 600 SQ FT.

Thank you very much for the help in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-28-2013, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

I am leaning towards the Bowers and Wilkins MT-50. Thoughts?
post #3 of 8 Old 05-28-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Yes, everything you've heard is true... buying Bose is like thinking you're buying a Toyota Camry (at the Camry price) and getting a Ford Pinto instead.

Do you have a Costco in the area? Call around to various stores and see if they have physical stock of the Pioneer SC-1522-k receiver. Only $600 (even worth the price of a membership) for a veeeeeery nice 9.2 channel capable receiver with all the bells 'n' whistles (MSRP was $1,600). This is an absolute steal.

If you strike out... Newegg.com has the Pioneer SC-1222-k (the next model down) for $550. Still a great deal since it was over $1,000 originally.

You could also look at a refurbed Denon AVR-3313CI direct from Denon's site at $699. It has Audyssey MultEQ XT auto room correction, if you find that appealing and worth the extra money.

I'd get one of those before buying a Sony receiver. I find their receiver quality suspect from experience (and from other things I've read).

I hate to tell you, but the speaker locations you're mentioning are probably the very worst places to mount speakers.

Here's a basic diagram of a typical 7.1 channel layout.

Front L/C/R array has tweeters at about ear level when seated (or as close as possible). Tweeters of the surrounds are usually placed 2-3 feet above your ears at the primary seating location and mounted on the walls. Side surrounds are placed at 90 degrees to the listener's ears, and the rear surrounds (if you go this route) at 150 degrees.

Klipsch speakers tend to be harsh and fatiguing over the space of a movie.

If you're looking to save a buck and get great speakers in the process, Ascend Acoustics (internet direct) is having a sale right now. One of the great deals is a pair of CMT-340 SE monitors with the free matching stands (using the sale link off the main page). Get another CMT-340 SE C for the center, and HTM-200 SE's for the surrounds.

600 sq feet is nothing to sneeze at, so you should save up and get a couple of good subs. Check out Rythmik, SVS, HSU, and other internet companies for the best boom for the buck.

This combo will absolutely decimate and then crush Bose speakers and bass "modules" into a fine powder.

Is this room an open living room or basement? Going to be a dedicated home theater space? Etc. Etc.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #4 of 8 Old 05-28-2013, 09:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor488 View Post

I am leaning towards the Bowers and Wilkins MT-50. Thoughts?

Way too small a system for 600 sq. feet. You must think bigger, razor488-son! Much bigger. smile.gif

post #5 of 8 Old 05-29-2013, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Yes, everything you've heard is true... buying Bose is like thinking you're buying a Toyota Camry (at the Camry price) and getting a Ford Pinto instead.

Do you have a Costco in the area? Call around to various stores and see if they have physical stock of the Pioneer SC-1522-k receiver. Only $600 (even worth the price of a membership) for a veeeeeery nice 9.2 channel capable receiver with all the bells 'n' whistles (MSRP was $1,600). This is an absolute steal.

If you strike out... Newegg.com has the Pioneer SC-1222-k (the next model down) for $550. Still a great deal since it was over $1,000 originally.

You could also look at a refurbed Denon AVR-3313CI direct from Denon's site at $699. It has Audyssey MultEQ XT auto room correction, if you find that appealing and worth the extra money.

I'd get one of those before buying a Sony receiver. I find their receiver quality suspect from experience (and from other things I've read).

I hate to tell you, but the speaker locations you're mentioning are probably the very worst places to mount speakers.

Here's a basic diagram of a typical 7.1 channel layout.

Front L/C/R array has tweeters at about ear level when seated (or as close as possible). Tweeters of the surrounds are usually placed 2-3 feet above your ears at the primary seating location and mounted on the walls. Side surrounds are placed at 90 degrees to the listener's ears, and the rear surrounds (if you go this route) at 150 degrees.

Klipsch speakers tend to be harsh and fatiguing over the space of a movie.

If you're looking to save a buck and get great speakers in the process, Ascend Acoustics (internet direct) is having a sale right now. One of the great deals is a pair of CMT-340 SE monitors with the free matching stands (using the sale link off the main page). Get another CMT-340 SE C for the center, and HTM-200 SE's for the surrounds.

600 sq feet is nothing to sneeze at, so you should save up and get a couple of good subs. Check out Rythmik, SVS, HSU, and other internet companies for the best boom for the buck.

This combo will absolutely decimate and then crush Bose speakers and bass "modules" into a fine powder.

Is this room an open living room or basement? Going to be a dedicated home theater space? Etc. Etc.

It is an open living room... I live in a two bedroom condo so the living room is half of the entire space.

I don't really have room for seven speakers and I don't know what I would do with the speakers behind the couch if I didn't mount them up high on the walls... There just isn't enough room for them. I am really disappointed the MT-50's wouldn't work.. I read a lot about them yesterday and they seemed like they would be great. I will definitely look into everything you said though. Thanks for the help!
post #6 of 8 Old 05-29-2013, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Oh one other thing about the B&W MT-50's... I can't find them for sale anywhere online? Are they only for sale in the UK??
post #7 of 8 Old 05-29-2013, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Dan,

I researched what you recommended and I am going to try and find that Pioneer receiver at Costco. But for the speakers, my room just won't allow speakers that large. I don't have room on the sides of my TV, and the only place for speakers to go behind the couch is up on the walls. Here is a picture looking at the front and back of my main living room.

post #8 of 8 Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thank goodness the actual room is much smaller than 600 sq feet... sounded more like an open basement. smile.gif

Though it may not sound absolutely appealing, you could splice into the rear, ceiling speakers with new speaker wire and run them to surround speakers placed a little closer together and down lower on the wall (within the recommend surround height I mentioned). Hide the wire with plastic wire molding and angled corner joints. Works great in a tight spot. I've seen this done in other condos and apartments when space was of the essence. The HTM-200's from Ascend Acoustics mounted on articulating wall mounts for best aiming would work great here.

If you move your TV stand over to the left a tiny bit, you could stand mount their HTM-200 SE's on the left and right. Their dimensions (H x W x D): 11" x 6.5" x 6.375" Only 10 pounds each, so you don't need massive stands. Set the center HTM-200 SE on a make shift DIY riser so it sits just above the TV. Your local hardware store is your friend and it would make for a great weekend project. smile.gif Still great sounding small speakers and well regarded for the money.

Sometimes when you have a less than ideal room, you have to play around a little bit to make things fit rather than compromising on the system's performance. I'll keep looking at small subs.

With the 1522-k or 1222-k receivers with DTS Neo:X you could also keep the front speaker positions way up top and replace them with mounted HTM-200's. They would then be the front height effects speakers, since you can't easily do 7.1 with back surrounds.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater In A Box