Vast variations of loudness between action and speech scenes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-07-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have a Sony HT-DDW900 Home Theater System. Often when watching a movie on a DVD or off Dishnetwork there are vast variations of loudness between action and speech scenes. That is if you set the volume so you can hear what people are saying to each other and then there is an action scene (like a gunfight) the sound just blasts you out. I mean it is painful and our cats will leave the room if I don't turn it down. Then when the scene changes to people talking you can't hear them and have to turn it up. I did recalibrate the Sony and that improved it some, but we were watch watching the Matrix series and I had to keep adjusting the volume up and down. I have tried every setting and different sound programs and the only one which makes it tolerable is when I turn off the surround sound and just switch to 2 channel stereo. I am a beginner at this I have studied the manual but I just don't know what to do so we can enjoy surround sound. Any suggestions and information would be appreciated. But do remember I don't have a very large Home theater vocabulary so if you get technical you will need to explain.
Thanks!
Michael

/\__/\
(='.'=) Angus
(") (") Skye
(") (") Finn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-07-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcl26554 View Post

We have a Sony HT-DDW900 Home Theater System. Often when watching a movie on a DVD or off Dishnetwork there are vast variations of loudness between action and speech scenes. That is if you set the volume so you can hear what people are saying to each other and then there is an action scene (like a gunfight) the sound just blasts you out. I mean it is painful and our cats will leave the room if I don't turn it down. Then when the scene changes to people talking you can't hear them and have to turn it up. I did recalibrate the Sony and that improved it some, but we were watch watching the Matrix series and I had to keep adjusting the volume up and down. I have tried every setting and different sound programs and the only one which makes it tolerable is when I turn off the surround sound and just switch to 2 channel stereo. I am a beginner at this I have studied the manual but I just don't know what to do so we can enjoy surround sound. Any suggestions and information would be appreciated. But do remember I don't have a very large Home theater vocabulary so if you get technical you will need to explain.
Thanks!
Michael

it's normal, just like what you'd here at a movie theater... the reason is you are passing the full dynamic range uncompressed

you can reduce the dynamic range by using something called dynamic range control or the like... you find it somewhere in the receiver menu (and you'll also find similar features on your BD/DVD player)
post #3 of 6 Old 06-07-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
What is your setting for dynamic range? See page 41 in the manual (at least the online version). Sounds like you don't like a whole lot of volume, though. You might also just try increasing the level of the center speaker a bit since that's where dialog is mostly from (and where is your center located....is it in a good listening position? Sometimes WAF or furniture fitting/matching needs make people put their speakers in less than an ideal position).

Me, I'd let the cats leave, heck they wouldn't even be inside in the first place smile.gif

post #4 of 6 Old 06-07-2013, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Those are all good suggestions. The dynamic range control is already set to "Comp. Max" which is the suggested default setting by Sony. I will try setting the center speaker louder It is placed just above the TV (Which is about sitting eye level) and slightly to the right. I can stand the loudness most of the time but sometimes it is painful but my Wife is even less tolerant of loudness. The cats are indoor only but if the leave the room it is ok, but I do kind of like having them around. There is nothing so soothing as a warm vibrating kitty in your lap!
I'll try upping the center speaker volume and report back if I notice a difference.
Michael.

/\__/\
(='.'=) Angus
(") (") Skye
(") (") Finn
post #5 of 6 Old 06-07-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

I checked the center speaker and it was set @ 6/10 normal would be 0 so I set it higher (7/10). I also set the surround sound presence from the standard setting to lower setting so maybe during action scenes they won't fire as loud. I see if that helps.
Michael

/\__/\
(='.'=) Angus
(") (") Skye
(") (") Finn
post #6 of 6 Old 06-09-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcl26554 View Post

I checked the center speaker and it was set @ 6/10 normal would be 0 so I set it higher (7/10). I also set the surround sound presence from the standard setting to lower setting so maybe during action scenes they won't fire as loud. I see if that helps.
Michael

are you using any sound fields or just A.F.D. Standard? the latter is best for minimal noise added to the actual audio signal
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page