Recommend me a system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-13-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a system but I'm unsure which to get.

I'll give you guys a rough idea of what I'm looking for!

To start with I want a 5.1 speaker set up. Satellites v tallboys isn't an issue.

Blu ray capability is important to me only in that I want the system to be capable of Dolby TrueHD/DTS HD, not that I want to play blu ray discs. I want this because I intend on using the system for a next gen games console... possibly the Xbox One but that's another story, and also to watch the odd HD movie. Most systems seem to be capable of TrueHD where there is blu ray capability for obvious reasons I suppose.

I want at least one HDMI Input and also HDMI out. this is where the vast majority of systems are falling down for me. This is again to facilitate gaming. ARC capability is not a big thing for me at all, I don't care about using an optical in from the TV.

The ability to play movies from a HDD is also quite important but if the price is right I could live without it.

Finally, I'd like it to be as low price as possible please! biggrin.gif

2 systems that have caught my eye are the LG HB905SA and the Panasonic SCBTT290.

I've read about the LG having a hardware issue causing a high pitched whistling and my new LG tv is doing the same, so the possibility of that is seriously off putting. However, the panasonic is much more expensive (looking on ebay and the like).
My budget is very tight, can't say exactly how much but looking to spend less than €250 for a second hand/refurbished system. The price range of the two above should be a rough guideline.

I'm based in Ireland so only systems available in UK please!

Thanks very much for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-13-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Well, being as you are based in Europe (Ireland) this is a bit difficult for us on this side of the pond. Models and configs can be different. I would not recommend getting a system with built-in DVD. The reason is most of them have a passive sub-woofer (which derives its power from the blu-ray player typically) and just won't give you that "boost" in bass that you want. I'd look for a system with a active sub-woofer.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page