Seeking Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-17-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently in the market for a new HTIB as my old Sony HT-6600DP is no longer cutting it. This new HTIB will go along with my recently purchased Sony HX850.

Requirements: I would like to keep it a Sony, receiver must have at least 2 HDMI 3D-passthrough inputs, HDMI ARC output and preferably an active subwoofer. Built-in Blu-ray not required but not a negative addition. Price of $500 give or take. Sound quality is very important. I do not want to feel as if the new HTIB is a downgrade from my current system.

Recommendations? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-17-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 220
I would go to the Sony site, if you want to keep it a Sony, and see what they have. Or just Google it. For the best sound, I wouldn't get an integrated system (one with a built-in blu-ray player) because they typically have passive sub-woofers which draw their power from the player. You'd be best to get one without a built-in which means it will have an active sub-woofer (it has its own power supply). Also, if you keep it a Sony, carefully check out the speaker connections. Sometime they use proprietary connectors which makes it difficult to upgrade the speakers if you want to. Ideally, the receiver would have 5-way binding posts for speaker connections which can take virtually any type of speaker connection, be it bare wire, banana plug, etc.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-18-2013, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Out of the following systems, which has the edge/advantage?

HT-CT550W
HT-CT350
HT-CT150
HT-SS380
post #4 of 6 Old 06-18-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 220
The first three are soundbars. I've never been a fan of soundbars but that's not to say you shouldn't consider them if that works for you. The last one, the SS380 is a real 5.1 system without an integrated blu-ray player so you might want to consider that one. The speakers look small though and you might want to see what kind of connections they have to the receiver. Sometime mfrs will use proprietary connectors which makes if difficult to upgrade the speakers if you want to/need to in the future. I would only go with a receiver that has 5-way binding posts as connectors because they will take any kind of connection, bare wire, banana plug, etc. Whatever you decide on, I would suggest trying to hear them first because you can't go on just the specs alone.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-19-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhnDgh View Post

Out of the following systems, which has the edge/advantage?

HT-CT550W
HT-CT350
HT-CT150
HT-SS380

I had a HT-SS380. It was a good performer but the YHT-399U I have now is a very good performer (as far as HTiB's under $500 go). The HT-SS380 does have proprietary connectors though, so you won't be able to ever upgrade the speakers and still use the supplied receiver.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
As already mentioned, the first three on the list are soundbars. Here's some additional info. The CT350 was discontinued a few years ago. It's hard to find even on the used market. The CT550W has a wireless sub and a separate "receiver" box, but the CT150 has a wired sub and all connections are on the sub so placement is somewhat limited. Be aware that if you consider a soundbar you will NOT get surround sound if that is important to you.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page