New help deciding what direction to go in - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-26-2013, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I'm sure you've all heard this before but I'm looking for some knowledgeable advice.

My goal for the setup is to be compatible with my computer, TV, and for general music listening.

I am a college student and have a budget of $600-$1000

I would keep this in a dorm room and at home in the summer. I want the best sound I can get and was looking at the Take Classic 5.1 with a decent receiver like Denon or a Yamaha.

Then I started reading and thinking I might be able to get better quality sound out of two larger speakers like floor standing or book shelf speakers with a center channel and sub.

What would be my best bet for my price range and uses? I need some suggestions on speakers and receivers. A suggested combo would be greatly appreciated.

Right now I'm using an Altec Lansing IMT810 which sounds good for what it is, a boom box basically. As long what I'm getting sounds better than that for music I'll be happy. If it would be versatile for movie and sports watching even better. I want something thats gonna last me for at least a few years.

So basically what I'm looking for is should I just get Take classic 5.1 with a certain receiver. OR Should I opt for say 2 book-shelf speakers, center channel, sub, and receiver for around the same price. ( Within my price range)

I truly appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-26-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 220
The Take Classic 5.1 is a decent speaker set which will work well with either the Denon or Yamaha. You don't have to use all 5 speakers now and can use it as a 3.1 or 2.1 system and then add your speakers as your needs, or environment changes. Larger speakers (floor standing) will always give you better sound but if you're on a budget, the Takes may do you well for now. Just make sure that whichever receiver you get, it has 5-way binding posts for speaker connections so that you can add any type of speaker in the future.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-27-2013, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

The Take Classic 5.1 is a decent speaker set which will work well with either the Denon or Yamaha. You don't have to use all 5 speakers now and can use it as a 3.1 or 2.1 system and then add your speakers as your needs, or environment changes. Larger speakers (floor standing) will always give you better sound but if you're on a budget, the Takes may do you well for now. Just make sure that whichever receiver you get, it has 5-way binding posts for speaker connections so that you can add any type of speaker in the future.

Can you give me a suggestion for receiver?

I was thinking maybe getting two real nice book shelf and a sub could sound as good if not better than the take 5. Then eventually adding components. Or do you still think the take 5 is the way to go.

Thanks !
post #4 of 5 Old 06-27-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 220
I would try to listen to what ever speaker system(s) you are interested in to see how they sound to you. Buying speakers can be a very daunting process because there are lots of opinions on what constitutes a good speaker set and of course prices vary dramatically. The Takes aren't a bad starter set. A 2.1 system (front R/L, sub) would sound good, but as soon as you add the middle channel, it will sound much better, especially for watching movies. Another bookshelf system you could look at would be the MLT-2s. They have bigger drivers which should give you a better dynamic range but again, your ears are the deciding factor. Somebody will probably pop in and give you some speakers to look at within your budget.

As far as receivers go, I have a Yamaha RX-V371 so I'm biased in that regard. It's a slightly older model but it works very well, and reliably, for us.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-09-2013, 02:49 PM

Liked: 12
Your budget makes it a little tricky, as to buy a great system you would need to spend a bit more ideally! You will need to comprimise somewhere, and the question is where to do that. You have made the right first step though, buying an all in one system will still cost you money, and you will never be entirely satisfied. I suggest not overspending on your receiver, but getting something that offers the features you want at a reasonable price. Don't worry too much about power, go for a reasonable quality brand with the features you really need. There are usually many good offerings with the base model in any range. The advanced models start mucking around with things like airplay, fancy auto setup features, and a bit more power. If you spend it all now on a receiver, it won't leave you much in your budget for speakers, and this would be a mistake. Some people will tell you to go 50/50 between amp and speakers, but I would have to disagree. A set of nicely matched speakers will give you the best start to an enjoyable system for music and home theatre. I would also agree that you are better off spending the money on 3 speakers and a sub ( + reasonable receiver). Add the surround speakers later. The benefits of 3 nice speakers will easily outweigh the benefits of having 5 ok speakers, in my opinion.
Its hard to suggest exactly how you should spend your money, but I would only spend around 300 on your receiver, given that budget. You should push your budget to the 1000 if you can, that will minimize the compromises you have to make. It may seem like a lot, but 600 is also a lot if you are not happy with the result.
I am personally using a 250-300 dollar 2011 model sony strdh820 7.1ch (bought this year), with 3 B&W m-1 speakers (L,R,C), and a B&W asw610 sub. I will be adding 2 more m-1's as soon as I can afford it. It sucks not having it all, but at least I have something to look forward too. The m-1's are a satellite speaker, but I found that they sounded better than most of the bookshelf speakers I tested at that price. They are not quite full range, but also not far off. I'm not suggesting you do exactly the same (this would probably go slightly over your budget), I'm just showing you how I went about spending my cash. I spent 83% of my budget on speakers (including sub), and not regretting it at all. If you are dead set on buying bookshelf's or floorstanders, it may be wise to save a few more penny's first. This is all just my opinion of course, and no doubt some will disagree with me, but I am truly happy with my setup, for both home cinema and music. Good luck, I know it's hard starting out with a limited budget, or a partner that doesn't understand why... smile.gif I had both wink.gif
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page