Speaker wires - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-28-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got done wiring up my new system the Yamaha YHT-797 5.1-Channel Network Home Theater System. Took forever since i didn't have a cable wire cutter and i a screwed up a couple wires and they are too short. I'm going to rewire it anyways i just wish i had done more research and learned bout using banana plugs which seem so much easier and look better. I want to get better gauge speaker wire too but i can't find anywhere that says if it's 16 or 18 gauge. Does anyone have this system or know what gauge wire came with this system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-28-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Use this as a speaker wire guide:

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

I used 16AWG, 2-wire ribbed for my Yamaha receiver. The mfr doesn't matter as long as your receiver has 5-way binding posts which means you can use any type of connection you want. I run my receiver at 8ohms and the wire run is around 30' so there is no AQ loss at all. The wire, btw, I bought at the hardware store for about $0.16 per foot.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-28-2013, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Speaking of banana plugs i know that they work with binding posts in the back of the A/V receiver but do they also work with the speaker connectors too?
post #4 of 5 Old 06-28-2013, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 244
It depends on what your speakers have. I just used a bare wire connection for mine because you can't see behind the speakers. About as simple of a connection you can do and it works just fine.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-30-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Use this as a speaker wire guide:

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

I used 16AWG, 2-wire ribbed for my Yamaha receiver. The mfr doesn't matter as long as your receiver has 5-way binding posts which means you can use any type of connection you want. I run my receiver at 8ohms and the wire run is around 30' so there is no AQ loss at all. The wire, btw, I bought at the hardware store for about $0.16 per foot.

I used 14 AWG, though on the speaker ends this seemed a little too thick (it was fine on the AVR end)... when stripping the wires, I lost a few wire strands here and there (single piece strands mind you, not a thin bundle) but this shouldn't matter given how thick 14 AWG is to begin with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page