Speaker/Receiver advice for a noobie - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-29-2013, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I've never spent a lot of time on the forums here before, but any time I've been on any forum and seen anything about home audio, I've seen someone mention avsforum as the place to go for advice. I'm hoping all that advice pans out for me! And I apologize in advance if this is a little long, but I thought I needed to give some back-story as to what I'm looking for.

I currently have an old Phillips 5.1 HTIB that I'm looking to replace. It's left over from my college years, and it's more than a little dated and lacking features, so it's time to upgrade. I've been looking at HTIB solutions for a few weeks (mainly from Samsung/LG), but I already have a Blu Ray player (Panasonic DMP-BDT220) so I've had a hard time justifying something that included another Blu Ray player. The past couple days I've been venturing more into speaker/receiver combos, particularly after reading through the forums on some wireless receiver kits (live in an apartment, don't want wires running everywhere, etc). I've mainly been looking at kits like the Yamaha YHT-697/699/897, but I don't have a local place to actually hear these since there's no real audio stores around where I live. Today I got to listen to a Denon 1513ba and came away very impressed compared to the HTIB systems from LG/Samsung I was originally viewing. I did some research and saw that particular system was fairly entry-level, and a receiver like the Denon 1613 would have a longer lifespan before upgrading. It just so happens that Amazon has the 1613 and 1713 for the same price right now, so I'm suddenly really interested in going the receiver/speaker kit route.

Here's where I need some advice. I'm looking at about $350 for a receiver, $100-$200 for a wireless kit for the rear speakers (either RocketFish or Amphony 1600 if I get bold), and another $250-$300 for speakers. The room I'm currently using as roughly 12x15. Could someone provide some input on a 5.1 speaker kit in that range? I saw the Energy Take Classics mentioned somewhere, so that's one option. They're currently about $280 on Amazon also, so I could do the Denon 1713 with the Energy Take Classics for a shade over $600. Is that a decent place to start? I'm mainly using this for watching movies, streaming Netflix, and doing some gaming. If I can give any more information, please let me know, and thanks in advance for the input and for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-30-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did a little more searching through the forums and answered my own question. Thanks for reading anyway!
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page