Samsung HT-D5500 Netflix lockup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-01-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hoping someone over here may have a fix for this. Samsung's extended warranty company replaced out HT1200 with a HT-D5500 when the 1200 went out of warranty without ever having a working center channel. Ever since we got the 1200 it will randomly lockup when streaming netflix, sometimes it can play multiple movies/shows without a problem other times will freeze within the first 4 minutes. It doesn't buffer like the 1200 does, just freezes/locks up and has to be powered off and back on. Samsung keeps telling me its the internet even though I have upgraded from an 8M to 12M service changing providers. We have a simply Panasonic BluRay player which never has a problem, and the Wii (though not HD). My internet is fast enough to stream Netflix to three other devices at the same time without even buffering but the Samsung will just stop even when its the only one in use. We've factory reset many times, different network cable, ffirmware upgrades, etc.

Any other idea or does Samsung just suck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have this system too in one of my vacation rentals and bought it two years ago. It worked great originally but in the past few month(s) or so I can never get the Internet/Smart Hub to start up. Instead of saying "Starting" and then displaying the Smart Hub apps within a few seconds it either says "Installing" or "Downloading" and either cycles endlessly until I return to the menu or else locks up completely Powering the unit off and on again helped before, but now that doesn't even help. Samsung once told me I had to do a factory reset which I did begrudgingly, taking me an hour to get all settings tweaked to where I had them (sound calibration, radio stations, etc.). That helped for a while but there's no way I'm going through all that every time this happens.

I believe it may be one of the firmware updates that caused it and now I read here that many people won't even do firmware updates if their system is functioning fine. I have an extended warranty so if Samsung can't resolve this I may try to get an upgraded HT-E5500 or HT-F5500 (or even 6500 series) as they all now have a Web browser like my new Sony Blu-ray stand-alone player does in another vacation rental.