Help: Samsung HT-E5500 keeps changing source - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 125 Old 07-11-2013, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone.

I'm having a really frustrating problem with my Samsung 5.1 blu-ray home theatre system (ht-e5500 model).

The ht, hooked up to my samsung HDTV and speakers, has been working fine for six months. But since yesterday it has started randomly cycling through input sources, as if someone is mashing on a remote.

I've tried taking the batteries out of all remotes and its made no difference - it still cycles through input sources randomly and often.

The HT is connected to a Sky Plus box and games console, but still randomly cycles through source with other devices off.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 125 Old 07-11-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Have you called Samsung Support?
post #3 of 125 Old 07-12-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Try doing a hard reset. The process for that should be in the manual.
post #4 of 125 Old 07-12-2013, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Hi guys.

I've done a hard reset as suggested and the HT box is still cycling through sources at random.

Any other suggestions?
post #5 of 125 Old 07-12-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you call Samsung support? If it's only 6 months old it should still be under warranty. I would disconnect the E5500 and just connect your Sky Plus box directly and see if the problem persists. If it goes away then it's probably the E5500. And if the hard reset doesn't work, then it's support call time.
post #6 of 125 Old 08-05-2013, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by espio1 View Post

Hi guys.

I've done a hard reset as suggested and the HT box is still cycling through sources at random.

Any other suggestions?

Espio, did you resolve this issue, as I am having exactly the same problem :-(
post #7 of 125 Old 08-13-2013, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

It stopped for a month or so - just fixed itself - but now has started doing it again frown.gif
post #8 of 125 Old 08-18-2013, 07:34 AM

I have the same unit and it just started doing the same thing. Any luck figuring out how to fix it?
post #9 of 125 Old 08-18-2013, 07:39 AM

Since you started this thread on July 11 and the last firmware was released on July 4, I wonder if it is an issue with the latest firmware? I started having this issue after I updated to the latest firmware two weeks ago. (A movie I rented wouldn't play without the update) It plays fine for a while, then starts cycling through all the inputs. I can then watch a couple of more minutes of my video before it does it again. I wonder if it might be heat related? Anyway, I'm going to contact Samsung tomorrow.
post #10 of 125 Old 08-19-2013, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am also having this problem. I took the batteries (fresh ones) out of the remote and it seems to have stopped for the last several hours, but I don't know if that's actually the problem or not. The remote also stopped being able to do normal things like turning the unit on and off...the lighted BD button would just flicker quickly and do nothing. I am able to operate the unit normally using my Samsung TV remote through Anynet+.

If anyone comes to any sort of resolution for this, I'd like to hear an update!
post #11 of 125 Old 08-20-2013, 02:47 PM

Can you guys post what TV brand you have hooked up? I have a Samsung, and I'm wondering if it has anything to do with Anynet+, which does have the ability to change input modes automatically...
post #12 of 125 Old 08-21-2013, 11:20 AM

I have a Samsung 6100 series tv. I unplugged and moved my unit to another room away from the TV and the problem still occurred, so I doubt it is the Anynet+.

I contacted Samsung customer service and will be sending mine in for repair. I will let you know what I hear back from them.
post #13 of 125 Old 08-21-2013, 02:08 PM

The same problem here. The reason it changes sources is probably broken front touch panel. Notice that if you change source with remote the first icon from left side on that panel [E] doesn't flash, but it does when source is changed "automatically" just as if someone would press that button on the panel. Sometime tray can come out for no reason.
Why is that? No idea. I'm not an expert.
post #14 of 125 Old 08-22-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone managed to get this fixed without sending in for repair? I have to admit its a relief I'm no longer the only one experiencing the problem!

It happens really sporadically to me now. Can go hours / days without happening.
post #15 of 125 Old 08-22-2013, 05:21 PM

I think niko790 is on to something. The fact that it works fine for long stretches (mine's been fine for about 4 days now) and then happens repeatedly for a shorter while makes me think it's something in the environment contributing. I don't know what kind of touch-sensing technology is used in the panel, but if it's something like capacitive touch, then check this out:
Quote:
Conductive smudges and similar interference on the panel surface can interfere with the performance. Such conductive smudges come mostly from sticky or sweaty finger tips, especially in high humidity environments. Collected dust, which adheres to the screen because of moisture from fingertips can also be a problem.

After reading this, I checked my panel and it did have some obvious fingerprint smudges on it. Also, the day it was going haywire I had the A/C turned off and the windows opened due to the cool weather...thus it was pretty humid inside.

I've wiped off the panel and will now try to note the conditions if/when it happens again.
post #16 of 125 Old 08-23-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Excuse my ignorance, but I don't think my HT unit or tv has a touch panel for source?
post #17 of 125 Old 08-23-2013, 01:52 PM

Right between the name of the input source ("D. IN", "HDMI 2", etc) and the STOP square there is what looks like an F or E in a square. If you press that, it changes the source. niko790 points out that when you use the remote to change inputs, that icon does not flash. If you press it with your finger, it does. Thus if it flashes during the automatic mode switching, it thinks there's a finger touching it.

I tried to find a picture, but the stock ones I saw don't have this icon! Weird.
post #18 of 125 Old 08-24-2013, 12:41 PM

I didn't even realize that the front panel was touch-sensitive until I found the instructions for a hard reset. (with unit on, hold stop on front panel for 8 seconds) The problem hasn't reoccurred since then, but I did wipe off the front panel when I reset the unit...
post #19 of 125 Old 08-29-2013, 11:26 AM

Hey guys, I have had this receiver for about nine months. I left for a long weekend and it was going to be hot, so I left my thermostat at 80. I come home and my receiver is going haywire. Never had an issue, now it flips through the inputs like crazy. I called Samsung and I did a firmware update and a hard reset with no luck. They said that if it keeps happening they would send a tech to my home. I am going to call them back and have them do just that.
post #20 of 125 Old 08-31-2013, 12:39 PM

Hi everyone,

Thank god I have you all to refer my problem. I bought this HT-E5550w Blueray Disk Home theater in November last year and so far it working nicely until today when it start changing mode by itself. I've tried everything like you all did i.e. remove battery, change tv and so on but the problem still occurred. I haven't contact Samsung support centre since today is public holiday so I would really appreciate if anyone of you guys who has managed to sort this problem out could share the solution.

Thank you.
post #21 of 125 Old 08-31-2013, 08:39 PM

After cleaning off the front touch panel, I haven't had any problems. It's been two weeks.
post #22 of 125 Old 09-07-2013, 12:22 PM

Add me to the list of folks having the changing source/dvd tray eject problem that others have reported.

At first it happened only sporadically, but in the past week or so it has pretty much be continuous to the point where we can't even watch TV because the receiver "trumps" our satellite and will shut it off when the DVD tray begins to repeatedly open and close while the source inputs begin sifting through.

The only thing I haven't done is a hard reset, but I guess I'll try that to see if it fixes the problem. I've contacted Samsung to see if they know of a resolution to this issue.
post #23 of 125 Old 09-07-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

It would appear that returns are in the future for this particular model of Samsung. Seems to be a lot of similar problems coming up all of the sudden. Has anyone satisfactorily gotten a response from Samsung support?
post #24 of 125 Old 09-08-2013, 03:10 PM

HI everyone, i'm also having this problem, source keeps changing on its own. has anyone heard back from Samsung support about this issue,
post #25 of 125 Old 09-10-2013, 10:51 AM

I received my unit back from Samsung last week. They replaced the front touch panel. I haven't had any issues since.
post #26 of 125 Old 09-10-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Somebody else mentioned the front touch panel as well so maybe Samsung will own up to the defect and repair all of the affected units whether they're under warranty or not.
post #27 of 125 Old 09-11-2013, 01:37 PM

Liked: 15
Hey everyone...I ran into the same problem with mine, and needless to say it got VERY frustrating!

I read through everyone's posts and since I realized that I would have to either deal with Support, which probably wouldn't help much since mine is over a year old, or I would have to get a new receiver, I decided to take matters into my own hands. wink.gif

Because it's fairly apparent that the issue is with the front touch panel, here's what I did...

Took the top cover/casing off...then unscrewed the circuit board that's part of the front piece/panel...disconnected the touch panel from the board, and then put everything back together again.

Presto! No more problems!

Disclaimer...obviously the front touch panel will no longer work. tongue.gif

But...if you're like me, and almost never use it other than to open the tray, then you're all set. I always use the remote, which still works just fine, and the display (LED) still shows everything just as it did before I disconnected the touch panel.

Hope this helps. smile.gif

Take care!
post #28 of 125 Old 09-13-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much Rush - I've just done the same and the very irritating problem is seemingly finally over.
post #29 of 125 Old 09-15-2013, 06:06 AM

I"m so happy I found this thread on the AVS forum.

My Samsung HT-E5500 has been driving me crazy today cycling through inputs. It had been working earlier today but this evening it was possessed!

A wipe of the input screen on the uni seems to have completely fixed the problem!!! The issue might have to do with the unit being in Thailand where the temperature is currently 35 and the humidy 99.9 percent. The climate here is hell on electronics.

Thanks for the fix! Graham biggrin.gif
post #30 of 125 Old 09-15-2013, 07:07 AM

Spoke too soon. Wiping the touch screen was only a temporary fix. Still under warranty so calling Samsung tomorrow. Arrrrgh!
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Samsung Ht E5500w Htib 5 1 Ch 3d Blu Ray 1000 Watts Home Theater System
Gear in this thread - E5500w by PriceGrabber.com