Onkyo S9400 Thx home theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-12-2013, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

My basement room size is 16X16. I am planning to buy Onkyo s9400 thx to set up a 7.1 home theater. I am a new to selecting a home theater.I would like to know the experts review as to whether this theater system is sufficient for my. room size and would it give me a 7.1 effect as i read that this system is for small rooms like dorms.
If this is a small system, then I am also interested in definitive 600/bose 10 series. Would like to know which one is better for true surround.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-13-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
IMO the 9400THX is the best all one company HTIB on the market. Its a very good system for the price. I just had a customer of mine get an on sale refurbished one for $520 which is amazing considering the $999 MSRP but is normally sold at $750.

On a side note your room is a square which is the absolute worst type of room for HT especially bass cuz of all the standing waves. And if your ceiling is 8ft that makes it even worse. So I'm just saying this so that you don't get the system and end up disappointed and blame the system cuz its probably your room. Yes you can get much better quality than this system if you buy separates and put 3 or more times the price into it.

Shawn
post #3 of 5 Old 07-13-2013, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information guru.
My basement is close to 15X16, so you do say that its better buying individual speakers and setup the home theater instead of onkyo s9400 thx.I am looking at setting up a home theater at a limited budget ,so thought of buying this system.Can you let me know if there are any better speakers in the limited budget of around 1000,that I can buy to setup 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system.
BTW whats ur suggestion on definitive procinema 800 speaker system.
I am looking at setting up a projector and screen to get the full cinema feel.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-15-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
IMO if you are going thru the trouble and expense to do a projector and screen, don't skimp on the sound. You would be surprized at how much sound really matters for HT. I honestly believe sound is more important that video, so I recommend spending more on sound than on video.

If you are working on a tight buget I suggest starting with maybe a good 3.1 system then working your way up to 7.2. If you buy too cheap of equipment now all your gunna want to do is upgrade in the future and just spend even more money. Buy right the first time.

You may want to look into Hsu speaker sub combo packages. I would suggest no less than the Hybrid 2 3.1 package. Those speakers are very highly reguarded. And the sub has true sub 20hz output. Bass/subs are very important to home theater and with sub 20hz output not only will the bass sound awesome you will also be able to feel the rumble. hsuresearch.com

You could also look at Polk monitor speakers on newegg.com. Infinity primus speakers get good reviews as well. The Andrew Jones designed Pioneer SP series speakers are also very good considering the small size and affordable price. You could look at BIC Acoustech Platinum series and BIC America Formula series speakers from acousticsounddesign.com. Also check out Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus subs very comparable to the Hsu VTF2 MK4. The Outlaw has more power but the Hsu has more features. There is also the SVS PB1000 for $499 shipped. Rythmik LV12R is also a very good and popular sub in the $500 to $600 price range. If that is too much cash then I highly recommend looking at the Klipsch RW12D on newegg.com often goes on sale for under $300.

But with the above mentions speakers and subs or packages you will still need to buy a decent 7.2 receiver.

If you really don't want to put a lot of money into it I do the the 9400THX is very good bang for your buck.

Shawn
post #5 of 5 Old 07-29-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

I am looking to buy definitive technology procinema 800 home theater.

Please let me know your suggestion/reviews on it. Is it a good system for the price of around 1200 or is there any better system than this one?.
I am not intrested in buying tower speakers as they will occupy more space in my limited basement space.

Also which is better between onkyo s9400 thx and defintive technology procinema 800.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page