Need help~~!!! Bose? Audioengine? Yamaha? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-26-2013, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, It have been some time for me to think about what is a better speakers that worth the price for my bedroom. I have come to the Bose Cinemate Sr 2 sometime ago and I find it is really a good for movie and sound wise for a 2.1 speakers but the price is a bit high for me here. I browse around the web and say many negative comments and I have no idea why. Then I begin to search for others and come to a Audioengine 5+ which is not bad afterall and thinking if adding a sub will improve the sound for movie. Then again I come across a YAMAHA BHT610 which have a 5.1 system. They all looked tempting but the Bose was way over my budget. Trying to find a swt that are able to give that quality and decent price. So I need Help~~!! thanks smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Main problem with Bose is that they are a single driver design and have holes in the frequency range. James Earl Jones' " Darth Vader " voice sounds strange coming out of the Bose Acoustimass module instead of the cube speakers. I think ANY decent HTiB would sound better than Bose. I usually recommend the Onkyo HTiB in the $400 to $600 range because Onkyo uses real receivers in their HTiB. Yamaha might as well, but I prefer Audyssey room correction over YAPO.. Using standard components in HTiB just makes it easier to use the receiver part and upgrade the speakers later on.

The Audioengine A5+ are powered monitors and are generally used in PC-based, receiver-less setups. If your main goal is to have a clean setup with just a laptop or PC and some speakers, then I would go this route. I have a 11.2 main system but have a little 2.1 setup in the computer room for streaming Hulu Plus / Amazon Prime. I have the Emotiva Airmotiv 5 monitors plus SVS SB-1000 sub. The Airmotiv 5 are on sale now for $410. That is $10 more than the A5+ and you get a very accurate ribbon tweeter and double the RMS power over the A5+. Go with the A5+ if you like a "softer" sound though. Only thing I have left to do in the computer room is add a DC-1 DAC so I can pass DSD ( Sony high-resolution audio ) through USB to the speakers.

You could also put together your own speaker/receiver combo. I usually recommend Energy Take Classic 5.0 speakers and a mid-range Denon/Marantz/Onkyo 5.1 receiver ( refurb from Accessories4less ) along with a Polk PSW-505 sub ( or SVS SB/SP 1000 for higher budget. ) You should still be able to do this for under $1000 and have a system that would sink the Bose.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #3 of 3 Old 07-28-2013, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow thats a great for details! thanks for the reply. The point for me to consider bose is because it provide a 5.1 surround sound with just 2 speakers.. Well i am pretty sure part of it is marketing strategy. The consideration of Audioengine 5+ is that i may upgrade it in future for more additional speakers with an amp and hopefully it will sound nice too. i really liked the suggestion for a self made but the problem is I live in Malaysia and basically things are hard to get here and the price here are all double after conversion so I am looking which is able to suit my budget. smile.gif
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page